Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Carlos Rogers: misunderstood

thechalkoutlines

Should felons be allowed to vote?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should felons be allowed to vote?

• No-never again
    • Only if it's a non violent felony (i.e. forgery)
    • Yes- what does being a criminal have to do w/ voting..

Now, we've all been poking fun at the guy's knack for dropping INTs for a good couple seasons now... I know his impact on this team is not lost on Redskins fans, but it's kinda ridiculous for the guy to be facing so much pressure regarding this one area of his game that's been lacking.

Remember '05, when the the skins picked Carlos Rogers with the 9th pick, after 2 other corners had already come off the board? With Carlos' emergence in '08, it's clear we got the best corner of the bunch.

Pac-Man Jones went to Tennessee at #5, and it's safe to say that his maturation has been hijacked by his personal conduct. I don't demonize the guy, but he's missed sooo much PT while he's been perfectly healthy. So the jury's sorta still out on Jones, though it's gotta be unanimous: he's BUST as it stands, especially to Titans fans.

Antrel Rolle was regarded as a physical corner coming out of the U, but analysts specifically cited his lack of speed as a concern. He showed flashes of play-making ability, but also battled serious knee injuries early on in his rookie year. He's at Free Safety now, and that's gotta be considered a disappointment. We've seen how dominant safeties can shut down passing games, but he doesn't seem to be that type (ala Sean Taylor, Laron Landry).

Carlos was having a career year last year, and he returned an interception for a TD against Detroit shortly before injuring his knee at New England. Now, I've obviously seen way more of Carlos Rogers than the other two guys, but we've seen him step up his physicality to a completely different level. He's making every tackle, he's shutting down #1 receivers, and making our secondary truly scary. Even after missing most of '07, he's still among the top-5 in passes defended over the last 3 years. He's got all the tools.

The man's gonna be great for a long time. We put our players under the microscope a lot around here, and I tend to think that's slightly unfair. These guys get paid mad money to do their job, and yes, part of Carlos' job is intercepting the football. Skins fans, he's very, very close. He can catch the football. Elite status is just barely out of his grasp at this point :thumbsup:. Our secondary is so beefed up now! With a healthy Springs (perhaps at FS), and the addition of DeAngelo Hall, our corners will be able to take more risks, and I think we're getting ready to see an explosion out of Carlos.

...Oh and also, Romo sits to pee should be back in business this week (that is, the business of throwing picks) and our secondary will be ready to exploit his carelessness with the football.

Can't wait for Sunday night...:dallasuck

I agree. But too many people here are too sensitive to things that are said. Los needs to improve his catching skill. That's not being negative, it's the truth.

He's a great corner, I love having him. There's nothing wrong with his coverage, he's like a blanket out there. But there's room for improvement in everyone. Los is no exception :)

Not that it matters, but there are two facts in the OP's post that are misunderstood. First, we drafted Carlos in 2005, not 2004. Second, he didnt' return a pick six against the Packers. It was Detroit at the end of the game. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone got confused.

Now, in response to your post. I love Carlos, and I think he's having a Pro Bowl year. I know I definitely voted for him to go to Hawaii (I actually vote for who I think should go, regardless of team). But the guy has dropped two very crucial and game-changing picks that would have gone for six. In 2005, if he makes that interception against Seattle in the paloffs, he would have taken it to the house and it would have been a huge momentum swing, and we probably win that game. Then, take a look back at last week. He gets that interception and takes it to the house, we're up 13-3 at the end of the first half with big time momentum. Both of those were "easy" picks that he dropped. On the other hand, he did make an amazing interception against Arizona that helped us to win that game. Strange how he drops the easy ones, but intercepts the toughies.

Not that it matters, but there are two facts in the OP's post that are misunderstood. First, we drafted Carlos in 2005, not 2004. Second, he didnt' return a pick six against the Packers. It was Detroit at the end of the game. Just wanted to point that out in case anyone got confused.

thanks, I remember now. He definitely dropped a sure pick six in the GB game... haha :doh:

I just can't understand why he can't catch the rock. It's like the guy that you played (name the sport) with and you could see that he was something special but there was always one thing that was lacking, keeping him from being great. Obviously, Carlos is a professional, but I'm sure that if you asked some of his teammates off the recorded, they'd tell you that they think highly of Carlos but he just lacks that great quality that Pro Bowl corners possess...coordination and game-changing situational awareness...or "hands" as we call it. :2cents: Gosh I hope he proves me wrong one day.:)

I have always thought he might need a serious eye exam. I am not trying to be funny, I know someone who had trouble picking things up, and an eye doctor found out he had some depth perception issues, and Lasic took care of his problem. Maybe he needs the perverbial "eye check". It can't hurt.

I have always thought he might need a serious eye exam. I am not trying to be funny, I know someone who had trouble picking things up, and an eye doctor found out he had some depth perception issues, and Lasic took care of his problem. Maybe he needs the perverbial "eye check". It can't hurt.

It worked for Christian Guzman... hehe

not every day you get to shout out the Nats in the stadium

As silly as that sounds, if I were his coach I would require he get an eye exam straight away. And then send him to a neurologist next if his sight tests OK. He has proven himself to be a top level athlete. There must be some explanation for his freakish inability to catch a ball. I mean, c'mon. He drops almost everything.

First, I like Rogers. I think he has played very well this year.

But the idea that he is a good CB because the other two guys in front of him are worse is a joke. That could merely mean he is better than two bad CB's. Yeah, I am better in coverage than Roy Williams, but what does that really say?

Rogers really has to catch those easy interceptions. There just isn't any excuse for an NFL DB to drop balls that easy, that could be such game changing plays. I don't think Rogers can really be labeled a really good CB until he starts catching those balls. Its not that hard to catch a football, the man just needs to practice. If he wants to be considered a great NFL corner, its up to him, not us.

When looking at Rogers and his lack of pics, one thing comes to mind.

Darrell Green. No, I'm not comparing him to Green. In an interview before he retired, Darrell said that if he had a dime for every pass he dropped, he'd be a rich man and could retire sooner.

We all want, and we need pics, but the bottom line is keeping the ball out of the recievers hands. Rogers has done an exceptional job thus far this season. The best part is, his injury normally takes two seasons to really get back to your old self. We should see more speed out of him come next spring, and his play has been more agressive then ever before.

He has a bright future........

We all still love Carlos, and no one can deny that he is playing the best he has ever played this year, but he really needs to be able to catch the ball. Our defense is playing outstanding but not forcing a lot of turnovers, if he could hold onto the ball, he would seriosuly be an elite corner

Archived