Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Shaun Alexander Coming To Town (Merged)

radskin

This is a bad signing, if it happens. Alexander earned a bad reputation after playing us, he won't have the respect of the lockerroom.

Promote Rock to back-up Portis, and let Devin Thomas return KOs and Punts. :helmet:

he had a "bad" reputation before the years he blew up. remember the sports illustrated article calling him "alexander the grate"

after he blew up, i'm thinking that the negativity basically stemmed from him being injured and losing his job security.

If he's 100% again he could be a great pickup. Remember the last year he played all 16 games he set the record for TD's and had almost 1900 yards. It was 2005. Not that long ago.

It is odd that he hasn't been signed by anybody yet though but he couldn't be worse than most teams 3rd back.

If he's 100% again he could be a great pickup. Remember the last year he played all 16 games he set the record for TD's and had almost 1900 yards. It was 2005. Not that long ago.

It is odd that he hasn't been signed by anybody yet though but he couldn't be worse than most teams 3rd back.

I think Detriot was looking for an every down back. They signed Rudi Johnson. He had 17 carries Sunday and is averaging a decent 4 yds per carry and over 8 yds per catch receiving. Hasn't made any difference, though. The Lions still haven't won a game.

Shawn gave a talk at our church a few years back. First five minutes were okay with a "never give up on your dreams" topic. But then he started talking about a buddy whose girlfriend had royally messed up the guy. Shawn went into a 20 minute rant about the girl. People in the congregation were looking at each other disbelieving what they were hearing. The guy is seriously not all there.

BTW, where's Marcus Mason?

I'd rather have him then Alexander.

Last I heard Mason was on Baltimore's practice squad.

I don't see why there is so much negativity about Alexander coming to Washington.

Let's try to remember that we have a starter in Portis. It's not like he's about to be replaced. Alexander would come in to back him up. I seriously doubt that the team would break the bank on him and he has the benefit of knowing the passing offense. He also has enough size to run between the tackles in relief of Clinton.

Everyone just relax and try not to jump to conclusions like this board normally does.

As long as we don't spend draft picks on acquiring Alexander or sign him to a multi-year contract that has salary cap ramifications, I don't give a crap.

Alexander is a free agent. No draft picks involved.

Not that much money under the cap so they may sign him to a two year deal if Betts will be out the whole year and then cut him in the offseason. Otherwise look for a Vet min. deal.

I think this move makes a lot of sense. And it makes much more sense then signing a guy off of another teams practices squad.

yes i know this but im saying if the need to make space then they knock rock down to practice squad or release him

Rock has to much time on the roster to be eligible for the practice squad and his value is on special teams.

If they sign Alexander, then I would imagine Betts goes on IR, thus freeing up the roster space.

It makes sense...If Betts is out for an extended period, it won't take long for Alexander to get comfortable with the system. Remember, this isn't EXACTLY like the Seahawks Offense. Zorn kept alot of the running from Gibbs' system. Alexander will probably dome REAL cheap. Play for vet min and incentives rather then sit at home. This will give him the chance to prove to the league he still can do it, so he'd probably be playing with a chip on his shoulder.

The only way this makes sense tho is if Betts is going to be out 4 or more weeks.

Not at all true. When his head was on straight and he was willing to give it his all he was top 3-4 for sure. The guy lacked roack-steady committment, work ethic, and discipline. His line was great, for sure. And he only played up to his full capacity for roughly two seasons. He's got head problems which maybe time, being humbled, and Zorn have/would moderate, but I doubt he can be as good as he was when at his best. Even with his geunine drawbacks, he's regularly taken more dismissing and belittling amd less positive recognition then deserved from most east coast critics. And I don't like the guy. :)

He was a slower version of what Larry Johnson is now. He could break tackles pretty well but he had no breakaway speed.

I think if you put half of the running backs in the league at that time behind that line, they could put up the numbers Shaun Alexander had.

No thanks. Alexander best days are behind him and I think if you're going to sign someone it should be Marcus Mason and keep him on the roster because they could develop him. Only way I do this is if Betts is out for the year. I bet Zorn's familiarity in Seattle has something to do with this

Alexander should have no trouble fitting in on passing plays having run that offense for years. That alone gives him a big advantage over whatever other choices are available to us right now.

Fantasy football does pay off sometimes...

As a former SA owner in a keeper league, I can say with 99.9% certainty than Shaun & passing plays do not mix. He openly & repeatedly said that he did not want to catch passes during his Seattle days, and that he did not mind being swapped out on more obvious passing situations. I would gather from this that he's not a blitz pickup expert either. Bringing him in gives us a back to absorb some carries, and nothing else. I think there's better finds out there for our needs then.

Ladell Bettis is injured with a sprained knee. So it makes sense to bring in Shaun Alexander if he is physically fit to support CP26 in the run game. Even though CP26 presently leads the NFL in rushing we don't want to burn him out. When you can improve your team by adding a a quality guy like Shaun that has to be ok. Shaun knows the Zorn offense and give s Jason another weapon to use.

Archived