Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: Shaun Alexander Coming To Town (Merged)

radskin

Shaun is injurie prone, thats wy he cant get a job anywhere anymore. hes done, look somewhere else.

too bad M. Mason was not on our practice squad, could have had some playing time now. hope Betts gets well, hes a good addition to our RB's squad.

He was/is a special athlete.

He was better than Portis in a tougher conference and he's only 3 years older. Lemme ask you something, Would you sign his old soft ass if his name was Jamal Lewis?

Alexander was a product of his o-line. Once he lost Hutchinson he sucked. Coincidence? I think not.

Wow. Jim Zorn, Shaun Alexander, Shawn Springs.. it's like the Skins are trying to be my second favorite team or something.

Seriously though, Shaun hasn't ran hard or with any passion in two seasons. And he doesn't pass block or catch and will be virtually useless between the 20's.

The good points are that he is a good locker room guy and has played well over the last few years in playoff games (vs Carolina, Superbowl, @ Chicago). Also, even over the last two seasons he runs like an MVP in the redzone and will continue to. At the least I think he could still be very good for you guys in the redzone and save Portis some wear and tear down there. He'll run like crap between the 20's but become a different player when he can see the endzone, good or bad he know how to score.

One other thing about Shaun Alexander: he was one of the two first rounders Seattle used from the Joey Galloway trade with Dallas. The other first rounder was used on Koren Robinson, in 2001.

If the Cowboys kept their picks, they would have been able to pick up people like Santana Moss, Steve Hutchinson, Deuce McAllister, and Nate Clements in '01, and Chris Hovan in '00.

Portis + Alexander= An MVP candidate and a guy that used to have the security blanket of Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson:D

You're right. Walter Jones is 10X the run blocker that Chris Samuels is.

Also, Adrian Peterson is merely average without the mighty Steve Hutchinson.

Bottom line, can a healthy Alexander fill in for Betts and give this team more RedZone options down the stretch? Yes or no?

You're right. Walter Jones is 10X the run blocker that Chris Samuels is.

Also, Adrian Peterson is merely average without the mighty Steve Hutchinson.

Bottom line, can a healthy Alexander fill in for Betts and give this team more RedZone options down the stretch? Yes or no?

Dunno. I've always viewed Alexander as a system back. I've never really cared for Betts either though. I'd say right now it's a push, we'll see what comes out of it though if he does land on this team

Again, slighting the superb Chris Samuels/Our line is no reason to deny the fact that Shaun Alexander could elevate this team.

Elevate this team? If you want to elevate the team with a big back, just tell Sellers he gets to carry some balls spelling Portis. I'd rather that than have an out-of-shape guy who wasn't a good back when he was in game shape last.

The man is unsigned because the man has money in the bank and he's not about put on Lions gear for a quick buck. Would you? Would Walter Jones or Chris Samuels?

No.

I can't speak for those others, but I damn sure would suit up for vet minimum for any NFL team that would pay me. Granted, the vet minimum is so much larger than my current salary, it would be like a taking the yearly payment for $10M lottery payout plus my salary. Heck, LaRon Landry could tackle me 80 plays straight every game for a full season, at full speed for that type of money.

Note: I realize SA would be unlikely to say the same thing, trust me. He doesn't want to be hit one more time ever.

What?! Samuels and Jones are comparable, and I'd say that Samuels might actually be better. The big difference is LG. Alexander had Steve Hutchinson whereas he'll have, if he signs here, Pete Kendall (who's still playing solidly).

P.S. I believe Samuels played LT and blocked for Alexander at 'Bama when Shaun was there.

Walter Jones 3-4 years ago was better than Samuels IMO. Samuels is a great player but Jones is one of those All-Time great talenrs. And Kendall does not begin to compare to Hutchinson, who is one of the best players in the league. The rest of that Seattle line was pretty solid too, with guys like Tobeck etc... and Alexander is 31. Old for a running back.

Again, slighting the superb Chris Samuels/Our line is no reason to deny the fact that Shaun Alexander could elevate this team.

The man is unsigned because the man has money in the bank and he's not about put on Lions gear for a quick buck. Would you? Would Walter Jones or Chris Samuels?

No.

Would I put on Lions gear for a quick buck? Hell yes.

Ewwwww.... why are we bringing in a washed up running back when we still have cartwright and betts will be back in a few weeks? Mike sellers can run the ball also. I don't understand this. I always though alexander was overrated. Why are the redskins always so reactionary when these little things happen. Its not like betts is injured for the season.:doh:

everyone is saying he knows our offense, but we kept the same running game from the saunders offense. So basically all he knows is the passing offense and is a running back. To summarize, he doesn't really know our offense.

That's not entirely true. He might not know the running plays, but he knows the passing offense. That means he knows where to lineup, when/where to block and who to pick up in protection, and when to go out for passes as well as which routes to run. He knows half the offense, which is 50% closer than almost anyone else. I'm not saying I support the move, but he does know some of the offense.

look. i think most of the responses about SA are ridiculous.

the man had money in the bank and he had the leverage and the status to say no to the lions (if this actually happened) and wait for an offer from a contender. if he played for a winner for most of his professional life, he's not going to go to a perrenial doormat. that's simple logic. of course WE would suit up for the vet minimum but most of us haven't played a down of professional football in our lives nor do we make that kind of money so to put him down citing a lack of passion for doing that is kind of lame.

second, i would definitely bring him in. this could be the kind of move that puts him over the top. some of you say "but he doesn't have any passion left" well, do you know the man? if you ask me, being cut and slighted by his old team (and the league for letting him sit this late) will be enough to light a fire under his butt and run his arse off. if so, i want him doing it for us.

furthermore, we might not have the same line that he had in seattle, but our o line is still one of top o lines in the league as far as the running game goes. if SA is able to do even just a third of what he did in seattle with our o line, it will be considered a successful move.

so give this move a chance if we do sign him and quit talking like idiots.

Archived