Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does it really matter if Westbrook plays or not?

NFLAnalyzer

i think the biggest thing that worries me about philly is that reid and zorn come from the same coaching tree and employ a lot of the same philosophies, only philly has been doing them for much longer and i fear they will be the best prepared team for our new offense of the teams we have faced so far.

unlike the Cowboys RB's who don't do as well against us, Westbrook usually does. It's almost like he's become the new Tiki in terms of hurting us bad. Westbrook is a great player, and while I respect him, I am hoping the injury is enough to help bench him.

I'm with you. I hear people say that they hope the opposing team's stars players play because they want to beat the best. I think that's a great theory but in practice I would rather beat a team without their stars than risk losing with them. We have injuries. They have injuries. Depth is part of the equation in the NFL and winning games, particularly within the division, on the road is never easy. I'll take every advantage I can get. Don't get me wrong, I never hope other team's players get hurt but since he's already hurt I'm hoping he doesn't quite make it back yet. Let him come back in time for the Giants.

We should win this game with or without him. No matter what he did in years past. Past is past. The Redskins are a totally different team this year so please have some faith in this team like I do. It is not a gimme game I believe we may even run up the score some because we are due to blow a team out.

Westbrook is an excellent player. He changes their entire offense. He's difficult to cover when he comes out of the backfield on passing routes. So to answer the original question, it does matter if he plays and is healthy. Plus it would give them a psychological boost to have him back.

Doesn't meant the skins lose with him playing. But he would definitely help their cause. Especially with Buckhalter banged up.

2 of the last 3. We lost in 2006.

As for Westbrook, it all depends on how healthy he is. If he comes back 100% then it really does matter. He always does well against the Skins and gives them an added dimension of Correll Buckhalter. If he's limited by the ankle then no it doesn't matter.

If you're counting '05 in this remember that McNabb was completely out of that game with injury.

Really last year's win there was the most impressive-but McNabb was sort of injured in that one as well.

2005:

11/06 @Was 17 rush, 25 yards 4 rec, 55 yards Result 17-10 Skins

2006:

11/12 @Phi 22 rush, 113 yards 3 rec, 37 yards Result 27-3 iggles

12/10 @Was 17 rush, 88 yards 3 rec, 38 yards Result 21-19 iggles

2007:

09/17 @Phi 17 rush, 96 yards 8 rec, 66 yards Result 20-12 Skins

11/11 @Was 20 rush, 100 yards (1 TD) 5 rec, 83 yards (2 TD) Result 33-25 iggles

Based on these numbers, it really DOES matter if Westbrook plays. He makes a big difference in the iggles offense.

By the way, I don't care AT ALL if any team whines that we only beat them because __________________ didn't play. The only thing that matters to me is that the Skins win. Period.

Yes it matters if Westbrook is playing. Westbrook is their #1 offensive threat, always has been, always will be. Without Westbrook on the field, it gives the Redskins defense a lot more freedom to do things, and make changes as necessary. I know regardless of whether he is playing or not, I wouldnt be so certain this team can just waltz into Philly, and beat the Eagles on their home turf, after last weeks loss to the Bears and the position they find themselves in. Its one thing to overlook the Rams, its another to overlook a division opponent.

Bryan Westbrook could very well be the most dangerous back in football....when 100%. If he plays and he's not 100% it could very well play into the skins game plan. I for one am more worried about their defense than anything else. They could make it a very long day for Zorn's play calling.

I mean this same team was able to go into Philly last year and beat the Eagles on Monday Night with Westbrook so to hear lots of eagles fans saying that having Westbrook will defintely lead the eagles to a win is silly. Even the Philly Sports Media is saying the Redskins will probably win on Sunday.

Does it really matter if Westbrook plays or not?

That's rhetorical right? Like asking if it matters if Portis plays or not? :doh:

Brian Westbrook is one of the most potent playmakers in this league, either on the ground, or catching out of the backfield through the air. The dudes a bona fide STUD! Playmakers not only change games, they WIN them. Going into Philly will be tough enough as it always is, without the added MAJOR headache of seeing Westbrook lined up on the other side of the ball.

HELL YEAH IT MATTERS! We should all pray he misses at least one more week.

Hail.

Thing is. He plays. Redskins win = He was too banged up. He doesn't play. Redskins win = He didn't play. I don't give a flying rats turd who plays or doesn't play. OF COURSE HE MATTERS!!!!! We already know we're most likely going to be without Jason Taylor. Just win, baby!

Of course it matters. He's their best player and one of the best in the league. His playing does not preclude us from winning, nor does his absence assure victory.

No doubt, though, they are a better, more dangerous team with him on the field. He changes the whole dynamic of the game.

I second this. It's like saying it doesn't matter if Tom Brady plays or not for New England. Westbrook is that valuable to the Eagles. Way more valuable than McNabb is. The Eagles will likely tell you that.

How could it not matter?

The Eagles have the top run D in the league. Asante Samuel is a fantastic upgrade for them. They are better than they were last year and a team with their back against the wall is very dangerous.

The availability of their best player is certainly an issue. Who can forget him tearing up the defense sans Sean Taylor?

Yes it matters. No Westbrook at Philly means McNabb must get it done without one of the NFL's top ten players. I'll take any edge I can get If I was Blache. You have to scheme for Westbrook & how many players in the league require that? Even If he does play, the Skins can make it a moot point if they can pound the undersized D with Portis & keep their guys on the sidelines.

It absolutely matters. McNabb and Westbrook have given better Redskin defenses than our current version fits in the past. Going into Philly is never easy, one of their two offensive monsters playing or not make a big difference.

Not saying we couldn't beat them either way - but it certainly makes a difference.

Archived