Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Power Rankings

RedskinsSuperBowl21

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/powerrankings

Take a look at the top three teams in the CBS Sports.com Power Rankings. The New York Giants, Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills are all undefeated, the only three teams without a loss.

They also have something else in common, which is why they are where they are.

It's called defense.

As much as I hate to admit it, since I am a connoisseur of offense, defense is ruling the NFL early on.

As we raced to anoint the Dallas Cowboys as the team to beat, we lost vision of their so-so defense. Buried under their high-scoring, fun-to-watch offense is the Cowboys' 20th-ranked scoring defense, which is giving up 22.2 points per game.

The top three teams in the rankings are all in the top 10 in scoring defense. The Titans are tops in the league with an average of 11.3 points allowed, followed by the Giants, who are tied for second with Baltimore at 14.3. The Bills are sixth at 15.8.

Those three are also in the top 10 in sacks, with the Titans tied for second with the Steelers at 15, the Giants have 13 in three games to tie for fourth with the Jets and the Bills have 10 to tie for 10th with three other teams.

Getting after the quarterback is a must in this NFL. The three top teams in our rankings show just how important.

If the Cowboys don't get their defense going, they won't be there in the end. I love watching their offense, but even I know a 20th-ranked defense isn't good enough.

The Cowboys fell from the top spot to the fifth spot by losing to the Washington Redskins on Sunday. Washington, which has won three consecutive games, is a big mover in these rankings. The Redskins go from 12th to fourth.

They're not like the top three teams. They are 15th in scoring defense and have just six sacks on the season to rank tied for 23rd with three other teams. The Redskins are making their move behind young quarterback Jason Campbell. He has developed into a capable passing threat that gives them a chance every week.

But if that defense doesn't improve, their perch in the top five won't last long. Defense rules these Power Rankings, as much as I hate to admit it.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/powerrankings

Let's not kid ourselves. Our defense has greatly helped itself by getting turnovers. Our turnover differential, as contributed to both by the offense and by the defense, is probably THE single biggest reason for our record given that none of our wins has been by more than a TD.

Our defense is ball hawking, but you have to worry about how much you can expect turnovers every week. Our defensive line needs to get more pass pressure, and we've also got to get our coverage worked out against opposing TE's as they've created matchup problems for our LB's already, and especially Marcus Washington. We still have work to do.

];5614103']Aww ****.

I don't want to be ranked that high.

Like it makes any difference...

The only ranking that matters right now is .5 behind the Giants. Who cares what anyone else says.

Besides what did you expect? The more we win the higher they'll put us. Were we supposed to go down?

I fully expect us to be #1 by season's end :)

Let's not kid ourselves. Our defense has greatly helped itself by getting turnovers. Our turnover differential, as contributed to both by the offense and by the defense, is probably THE single biggest reason for our record given that none of our wins has been by more than a TD.

Our defense is ball hawking, but you have to worry about how much you can expect turnovers every week. Our defensive line needs to get more pass pressure, and we've also got to get our coverage worked out against opposing TE's as they've created matchup problems for our LB's already, and especially Marcus Washington. We still have work to do.

It would also help if we didn't go up against four of the top 5 offenses in the league in our first four games, and three of the top 5 offenses in terms of least amount of sacks given up.

Guest sith lord
];5614103']Aww ****.

I don't want to be ranked that high.

You're afraid of success. I've been waiting for a long time to see a Skins team that's in the upper echelon of the league.

And we should get better.

Guest sith lord
I still think the Eagles are the team to beat in our division so far. Am I alone in this?

They were playing without Westy. They are better than 14.

I believe they are better than 14, but I wouldn't say they are the team to beat though.

Guest sith lord
I'm a diehard of diehards and an optomists among optomists but that ranking is way too high for the skins. They still have a d that can be exploited.

You guys are incredible. I guess we've been losing so much over the years you guys can't believe that we can actually be good.

Archived