Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry is the heart of our defense

shk75

Yesterday's game against the Cowboys just once again proved that Landry IS our defense. This is a quote from a Dallas paper about the game;

"The Redskins jammed the line, and Garrett went upstairs. Most teams don’t invite Romo sits to pee and Co. to beat them. Washington did. And for whatever reason, although you can think of a whiney ones, the intent of the Cowboys seemed to be forcing the ball into the hands of Eldorado Owens. I’ll count it up later, but best guess is 20 passes were aimed in the direction of Eldo."

With him playing back there and not allowing anything to go deep we frustrate the hell out of teams and it is amazing the difference that one player can make.

Some credit has to go to the d-line. They took the running game out of the picture and allowed the safeties to concentrate in pass coverage instead of peeking in the backfield. No, they didn't register a sack, but Romo sits to pee did get hit a few times and the boys up front were very stout at the point of attack. Total team win.

I am still waiting to see those big hits he gave receivers last year. After he got trucked in the first game, I havent seen that blind suicide mission type play. Maybe his brother getting hurt last week has something to do with it.

I think it has more to do with the fact that he is playing a different role...a more importan role imho. The role that turned ST from a menacing hitter who was on the verge of breaking out to the 5 interceptions in 5 games type of player who covered the whole field and took away any deep play. It might not be as much fun to watch Landry right now but man does it make us a better team.

He virtually shuts the deep ball down by himself, allowing the corners to play super aggressive without worrying what happens if their guy gets behind them deep. Teams are reluctant to even attempt a deep ball with him back there. He's fitting Sean Taylor's role quite nicely this year.

On a side note, man I can't wait until Horton settles down a little more and is more assignment trustworthy because he's got excellent range and coverage ability, too. When that happens and we can drop either safety deep and feel covered, then both safeties can get into the mix underneath and blitzing, creating even more confusion for opposing offenses.

On a side note, man I can't wait until Horton settles down a little more and is more assignment trustworthy because he's got excellent range and coverage ability, too. When that happens and we can drop either safety deep and feel covered, then both safeties can get into the mix underneath and blitzing, creating even more confusion for opposing offenses.

I'm not complaining or anything but how the heck did this kid fall to the 7th round. What a great pick!!!

I don't understand what you don't understand?

If they're forcing plays to Owens, and he's being held to 71 yards, not one for even 20 yards, then that means that the free safety is doing his job.

Again, NOT hearing a defensive back's name in a football game is a GOOD thing.

I don't think he is the heart of our defense...go back and look at the T.O. TD and telling me what Landry was doing during that play...

I don't think he is the heart of our defense...go back and look at the T.O. TD and telling me what Landry was doing during that play...

Covering his man on the other side of the field?

Do you really want to call out any one player on one play when Landry has shut down the secondary since being moved to free safety?

Really?

Covering his man on the other side of the field?

Do you really want to call out any one player on one play when Landry has shut down the secondary since being moved to free safety?

Really?

smartass I was answering your question about what I didnt understand... Landry couldve prevented that TD so I was proving a point.. ease up on your man crush, I like Landry but he DEF not the heart and soul of this D...

smartass I was answering your question about what I didnt understand... Landry couldve prevented that TD so I was proving a point.. ease up on your man crush, I like Landry but he DEF not the heart and soul of this D...

Smartass? Classy.

Landry didn't prevent that touchdown because he wasn't in that area and didn't want to knock the other DB trying to make the tackle out of the game.

If he's DEF not the heart and soul of the defense, one centered around man coverage with a safety playing deep (Landry), then who is?

Yesterday's game against the Cowboys just once again proved that Landry IS our defense. This is a quote from a Dallas paper about the game;

"The Redskins jammed the line, and Garrett went upstairs. Most teams don’t invite Romo sits to pee and Co. to beat them. Washington did. And for whatever reason, although you can think of a whiney ones, the intent of the Cowboys seemed to be forcing the ball into the hands of Eldorado Owens. I’ll count it up later, but best guess is 20 passes were aimed in the direction of Eldo."

With him playing back there and not allowing anything to go deep we frustrate the hell out of teams and it is amazing the difference that one player can make.

LaRon is a one man Cover 2:2cents:

610x.jpg

Redskins coach Jim Zorn knows plenty about Landry. Last season, when Zorn was the quarterbacks coach of the Seattle Seahawks, he had to consider Landry's impact on the Seattle game plan in a first-round playoff game.

Landry had two interceptions in that contest.

"He distorts reads," Zorn said. "He appears to be in position like other defensive backs, but once he reacts and responds, he actually makes up more ground than most other defenders I've been around.

"He makes what might be a big play into a batted ball or an interception."

Landry did that Sunday against New Orleans. Saints wide receiver Devery Henderson ran a deep route down the middle, and Drew Brees lofted what appeared to be a perfect pass. Had the play been made, it would have been a touchdown and put the game beyond the Redskins' reach.

But Landry stayed with Henderson and, at the last second, reached up and batted the pass away.

"I like roaming sideline to sideline back there," Landry said. "I like flying around, showing different disguises. I think it gives me the chance to show my true talent and ability. I think it gives me the chance to show what I can do."

http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:nmhhH4VTbicJ:www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/football.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-09-18-0124.html+Seattle+LaRon+Landry+2+deep+safety+Zorn&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we had a healthy Jason Taylor to rush the passer. I think Romo sits to pee would have made some more mistakes. I know people say Jason is a liability against the run, but I think that was partly due to the fact his knee wasn't good.

Smartass? Classy.

Landry didn't prevent that touchdown because he wasn't in that area and didn't want to knock the other DB trying to make the tackle out of the game.

If he's DEF not the heart and soul of the defense, one centered around man coverage with a safety playing deep (Landry), then who is?

obviously I wasnt the only one that saw this

I was wondering why he didn't hit TO when Springs was trying to tackle him at the goal line. Might have prevented the TD.

LL's a special player and definitely plays a major role. Just imagine if we had a true terror on the line in conjunction with the guys we have in the secondary - that would be amazing. Our line is playing well, don't get me wrong, but our defense would be incredible with a guy like Allen or Haynesworth upfront IMO.

I thought (and almost made a thread about this) the most interesting stat this morning is Landry being credited with 1 tackle. Clearly Dallass was very much aware of where he was, and made a conscious decision not to test him, and to keep TO safely away from him.

Archived