Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Landry is the heart of our defense

shk75

I am still waiting to see those big hits he gave receivers last year. After he got trucked in the first game, I havent seen that blind suicide mission type play. Maybe his brother getting hurt last week has something to do with it.

He's more in the deep zone now, so we ought to see less hits, and more INTs. He could still go for the kill shot, but I think he'll opt to go for the pick more often now. That shows his transition to the FS position, as opposed to the more physical SS.

I was wondering why he didn't hit TO when Springs was trying to tackle him at the goal line. Might have prevented the TD.

I watched the re=run on that and it seemed that both Landry and Horton were just slightly out of position. Dallas ran the perfect seem route there and which ever safely was supposed to cover over the top did not get there in time. I, I would not place the blame solely on Landry nor would I state that he is the heart and soul of the Defense. I honestly think this D is just starting to gel and probably Fletch is the true leader of the D at this time.

Fletch Lives, I'm sorry man. I didn't mean to come off as a dick, but I kinda was. I in NO WAY am talking down what Fletcher has contributed. Our team is SO much better with him on it, but if I had to build around a player, then it would be Landry.

Who's second? Fletcher.

In just that one game, Shawn Springs showed again we are a different team without him. He changed the game yesterday.

Landry is a great safety no doubt, he isn't getting burned and he allows a lot of different htings in this defense...that said....im still waiting on some big hits some forced fumbles some ints...he has none so far ~ maybe somewhat of a sophmore slump but hes been really quiet this year...altho when you play in the secondary not having your name called is sometimes a good thing because it means you aren't getting smoked

I was wondering why he didn't hit TO when Springs was trying to tackle him at the goal line. Might have prevented the TD.

I was saying the same thing. I screamed at the TV, couldn't believe he just STOOD there. Unless someone else can explain it, just doesn't make sense. Looked to me like he had a good shot, even if it didn't prevent the TD, hit the ****.

Check out the highlights, it's at 2:26.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29586&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter

2:26 into this video, tell me what he is doing..

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b33912

again, i'm quite sure i'm right on this:

he was lining up to tackle TO, then Springs hit TO from behind, which knocked TO forward (out of LL's path) and into the endzone. when they showed the view from the goal line camera, that was pretty clear.

as i said, it's more clear from the other camera angle. because of the camera angle you see in that video, TO is running directly away from the camera (so, because of the lack of depth perception on TV, you can't judge his velocity). when he got hit from behind by Shawn Springs, he was knocked forward very suddenly, which is why Landry put on the brakes; had he followed through with the hit, he would've decked Springs, not TO. if Springs had not hit TO, Landry would have. if Landry had hit TO instead of Springs, he would've been hit sideways, not forward, and it wouldn't have been a touchdown.

again, i'm NOT faulting Springs for tackling TO, but it IS the reason that Landry appeared to "give up" on that play.

*disclaimer* i'm only commenting on that one play. i have no preference for who i think is the "heart" of our defense. i like that they play as such a solid TEAM, that it's not about any one guy. everyone does his job.

Landry is a great safety no doubt, he isn't getting burned and he allows a lot of different htings in this defense...that said....im still waiting on some big hits some forced fumbles some ints...he has none so far ~ maybe somewhat of a sophmore slump but hes been really quiet this year...altho when you play in the secondary not having your name called is sometimes a good thing because it means you aren't getting smoked

A free saftey is a lot like an offensive lineman. The less you hear his name being called, the better.

Sure we all love the big hits, but a guy who can play center field as well as Landry is doing is extremely valuable to a defense as it allows the corners to get more aggresive.

. . . I don't think that you understand what the position of free safety entails.

Here we go again this year, NC. "springs at FS"... lol

We essentially play a cover 1 with LL as the last man back. You do not rate a DB based on how many tackles he has. LL's lack of tackles show how teams are not attempting the deep ball. We have not been torched for a big gain in our last 3 games and coincidentally, each time it's been attempted, LL was the man in coverage breaking up the pass. His presence and coverage ability greatly, greatly impacts how our entire secondary is called.

We essentially play a cover 1 with LL as the last man back. You do not rate a DB based on how many tackles he has. LL's lack of tackles show how teams are not attempting the deep ball. We have not been torched for a big gain in our last 3 games and coincidentally, each time it's been attempted, LL was the man in coverage breaking up the pass. His presence and coverage ability greatly, greatly impacts how our entire secondary is called.

I'm glad to see somebody understands the game. Just because you aren't on SportsCenter highlights doesn't mean that you aren't doing your job well.

I'm glad to see somebody understands the game. Just because you aren't on SportsCenter highlights doesn't mean that you aren't doing your job well.

x2

In the position Landry is playing in a Cover 1 the less you hear about him (besides INTs) the better. It means QBs are generally avoiding him like the plague, much like with ST last year (:().

Yesterday's game against the Cowboys just once again proved that Landry IS our defense. This is a quote from a Dallas paper about the game;

"The Redskins jammed the line, and Garrett went upstairs. Most teams don’t invite Romo sits to pee and Co. to beat them. Washington did. And for whatever reason, although you can think of a whiney ones, the intent of the Cowboys seemed to be forcing the ball into the hands of Eldorado Owens. I’ll count it up later, but best guess is 20 passes were aimed in the direction of Eldo."

With him playing back there and not allowing anything to go deep we frustrate the hell out of teams and it is amazing the difference that one player can make.

LaRon really does make a difference in the backfield. He was always around Terrell which helped aid Springs and Rogers. Although he isnt dishing out the pain like we saw last season, he is playing smart football and helping the Redskins win games.

again, i'm quite sure i'm right on this:

as i said, it's more clear from the other camera angle. because of the camera angle you see in that video, TO is running directly away from the camera (so, because of the lack of depth perception on TV, you can't judge his velocity). when he got hit from behind by Shawn Springs, he was knocked forward very suddenly, which is why Landry put on the brakes; had he followed through with the hit, he would've decked Springs, not TO. if Springs had not hit TO, Landry would have. if Landry had hit TO instead of Springs, he would've been hit sideways, not forward, and it wouldn't have been a touchdown.

again, i'm NOT faulting Springs for tackling TO, but it IS the reason that Landry appeared to "give up" on that play.

*disclaimer* i'm only commenting on that one play. i have no preference for who i think is the "heart" of our defense. i like that they play as such a solid TEAM, that it's not about any one guy. everyone does his job.

I have watched it a few times and wondered about him maybe hitting Springs due to the movenment of Springs hitting TO. I hate to second guess, but it just looked weird at first.

DING DING DING!

Someone who knows how the free safety position in a Cover One works AND that the less you hear a defensive back's name, the better a job that he's doing!

Someone give him a prize! :cheers:

McNabb will try Landry this week so he will be forced to make plays downfield. The cowboys chose not to stretch the field that much but the eagles will try so Landry must be ready to knock some heads off and pick off some deep balls.

Based on?

Do you know WHY they didn't go downfield? Because of Landry. It's not the other way around. You don't throw downfield when you have someone like Landry back there, you just don't. Why else wouldn't a quarterback like Romo sits to pee throw it to a receiver like Owens on an offense like Dallas's? You think they just didn't feel like it?

Based on?

Do you know WHY they didn't go downfield? Because of Landry. It's not the other way around. You don't throw downfield when you have someone like Landry back there, you just don't. Why else wouldn't a quarterback like Romo sits to pee throw it to a receiver like Owens on an offense like Dallas's? You think they just didn't feel like it?

mcNabb will throw downfield anyway.. So my point is Landry should be ready this week for the eagles to go downfield more than the cowboys did.Landry wasn't really forced to make any plays on Sunday so knowing andy reid and mcnabb they will probably force him to make a play. To think that mcnabb wont throw down field because Landry is sitting back there is ridiculous.. He threw down field with Sean Taylor back there so expect him to do it with a sophomore safety back there as well.

Archived