Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dow & S+P 500 Close Below Previous YTD Lows

Monte51Coleman

translation- "nothing to see here everything is fine, vote for McCain" :doh:

I surely hope that no one is actually basing his or her vote on a one day snapshot of the stock market, especially lately when it's been so volatile.

A few days ago, it was up a bunch. Would voting for McCain have been okay then? :rolleyes:

I surely hope that no one is actually basing his or her vote on a one day snapshot of the stock market, especially lately when it's been so volatile.

A few days ago, it was up a bunch. Would voting for McCain have been okay then? :rolleyes:

Techboy, how much and how long do you/have you been in the market?

I've been in it since the early 90's. January of 2000, when Dubya was sworn in, the Dow was at 13,000 now it's at 10,300 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Okay- I'm counting down. 3 more weeks, then I hop back in.

If I had bigger balls I'd hop in tomorrow- some enormous deals out there right now. Folks who buy over the next six months are poised to make a pile of cash within the next 10 years.

I put some back in at the close today. I think there was a lot of panicked selling today.

I've been in it since the early 90's. January of 2000, when Dubya was sworn in, the Dow was at 13,000 now it's at 10,300 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

DeanCollins- What was it in the 1990's? Particularly, saaaaaaay, around the dot.com bubble bust? :rolleyes:

On a sidenote, my roommate is investing a ton in the market tomorrow. I wish I could do the same right now. If I had the money, I'd be doing that in a second. It's the typical stock market pattern. I'm hardly worried.

Are you sure your numbers are correct?

I've been in the market since about '94. And have had several periods of sell offs. Luckily I am not retiring so these are all buying opportunities for me. Twice a month, every month something goes into the market.

DeanCollins- What was it in the 1990's? Particularly, saaaaaaay, around the dot.com bubble bust? :rolleyes:

On a sidenote, my roommate is investing a ton in the market tomorrow. I wish I could do the same right now. If I had the money, I'd be doing that in a second. It's the typical stock market pattern. I'm hardly worried.

Dot com began it's burst in 2000. 3 months after Clinton left office. I'm sure some would argue that that is somehow all Bush's fault. Because only the greed and out of control growth happened during Clinton's watch...the return to normalcy was under W

Dot com began it's burst in 2000. 3 months after Clinton left office. I'm sure some would argue that that is somehow all Bush's fault. Because only the greed and out of control growth happened during Clinton's watch...the return to normalcy was under W

Thanks for the heads up. I thought it started in '99, when I was a senior. Regardless, I still don't think that can be blamed on Bush, nor Clinton. It's the story of the market, always fluctuating...sometimes with more volatility than others.

Since you're such a veteran of the stock market, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new when I note that the markets are cyclical, with Bear inevitably following Bull, despite the cries each time that "this time is different", and that the good times will last forever.

And, I'm equally sure that you already know, then, that in the long run, daily fluctuations, up or down, are simply noise that can't even be seen if the chart is set to years instead of weeks.

Which is why, I guess, that I'm puzzled that you seem to think that one day stock movements should have any bearing at all on for whom one should vote for President.

Are you sure your numbers are correct?

I've been in the market since about '94. And have had several periods of sell offs. Luckily I am not retiring so these are all buying opportunities for me. Twice a month, every month something goes into the market.

Those numbers are correct, but he fails (for some reason :rolleyes: ) to mention that in between the 2 numbers he quoted, the Dow got as high as 14,100 in late 2007. Evidently it suits his political agenda to paint the picture that the economy has been going straight downhill since 2000, which just isnt true.

Those numbers are correct, but he fails (for some reason :rolleyes: ) to mention that in between the 2 numbers he quoted, the Dow got as high as 14,100 in late 2007. Evidently it suits his political agenda to paint the picture that the economy has been going straight downhill since 2000, which just isnt true.

Okay, January 2001, not January 2000.

I remember posting about the Dow hitting 14k...everyone said that the Dow only means something for the rich. I guess they have changed their mind now.

I think it's a very good sign for the economy that today's numbers weren't worse than they were. John McCain was half right when he said the fundamentals of our economy are strong. The trouble has always been not the economy as a whole, but in how the gains in wealth were distributed. When productivity rises and median incomes fall, something is out of whack. An efficient market should reward productivity.

I do think the fall could have been softened had regulators been a bit more effective as well.

Since you're such a veteran of the stock market, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new when I note that the markets are cyclical, with Bear inevitably following Bull, despite the cries each time that "this time is different", and that the good times will last forever.

Yeah, and I'm sure you know how much worse the picture is if you adjust those numbers for inflation and the plummeting of the dollar. The markets are a sham, as todays financial collapse indicates.

Yeah, and I'm sure you know how much worse the picture is if you adjust those numbers for inflation and the plummeting of the dollar.

The markets have not been good lately, which is why they call it a Bear.

Or, alternatively, if one is in the acquisition phase and won't need the money for 20 years or more, it's quite likely that the markets have been very good lately.

I am puzzled, though, why you care about the "plummeting" of the dollar (which has actually rebounded a bit recently, anyway). Are you planning on spending your earnings in France?

The markets are a sham, as todays financial collapse indicates.

In what way are they a sham?

The markets have not been good lately, which is why they call it a Bear.

Or, alternatively, if one is in the acquisition phase and won't need the money for 20 years or more, it's quite likely that the markets have been very good lately.

Well if the S&P is to return to its historical averages of around 11% growth per year it has some work to do over the coming decade or so before I need my money. And the kids college funds are not where they might have been for sure. I was hoping with the tykes earning scholarships to spend those on something nice for me. :D

I'm not doing anything special investing-wise at the moment as I don't believe in market timing. Just like I've been doing for the last decade ... contributing the maximum to my 401k every two weeks. Dollar cost averaging in a diversified portfolio. Rinse and repeat.

But I did buy a piece of a private company yesterday. Now that's taking a risk. :)

We're just experiencing a bit of an over-due correction. Let's face it; the economic policies of the banks and government haven't been all that great recently; "growth" was based on buying and selling houses and then taking out a HELOC to spend all that fresh equity.

Now that the game is up, everyone, everywhere is suffering massive deflation in asset prices. I sure think there will be a lot of people outside of this country pissed at the US for bringing down the economies of other countries, but those countries followed our lead.

I think things are going to be ugly in America for the next 2-3 years at least. Think of all the tax revenue, etc. being flushed down the tubes...

Archived