Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2009 Draft Preview...

SkinsAllDay34

taylor Mays is really good and you're going to need a top 10 pick for him. I think the skins need to sure up both the lines, the CBs and the LBs are not getting any younger. Plus Vinny has given away 3 picks in next years draft so I don't think the skins will look his way. He's good but not 21 good

not even close, that dude put way too much effort into the hit only to be bounced back himself.

sorry dude, quit reaching

Yeah, Mays is a very good player, but he flew back further than the guy he hit there. No way to compare that to ST. Sean didn't hit players, he went THROUGH them like he was going after someone that was behind them and they were just in the way.

I am not going to downplay ST for one second here but listen:

ST was a great player, a pro bowler etc. etc. He would have gone down as one of the greatest if not THE greatest S of all time. But just because he was tragically killed and we now dont have the luxury of seeing him making plays for the next decade, does not mean that we can look at him as god like and no one else can match his ability.

He was one of those players that dont come around so often, and let me tell you taylor mays is just as fast as ST was, if not faster and is just as big as ST was coming out of college. Mays just has to put it all together as a player and he will become a great safety like Sean was.

Thats just my humble opinion though, ppl can disagree but that is how I feel. Also its not a my campaign for drafting mays, its just saying its not like no one will ever come around and do what ST did and was going to do. Just because he bounce off a tackler on ONE play doesnt mean ****.

RIP ST 21

HTTR

LETS GO!!!

ST was a great player, a pro bowler etc. etc. He would have gone down as one of the greatest if not THE greatest S of all time. But just because he was tragically killed and we now dont have the luxury of seeing him making plays for the next decade, does not mean that we can look at him as god like and no one else can match his ability.

He was one of those players that dont come around so often, and let me tell you taylor mays is just as fast as ST was, if not faster and is just as big as ST was coming out of college. Mays just has to put it all together as a player and he will become a great safety like Sean was.

Thats just my humble opinion though, ppl can disagree but that is how I feel. Also its not a my campaign for drafting mays, its just saying its not like no one will ever come around and do what ST did and was going to do. Just because he bounce off a tackler on ONE play doesnt mean ****.

RIP ST 21

HTTR

LETS GO!!!

I'm not saying he isn't a great player, but why would we go after him when we currently already have a FS in Landry who has the potential to be elite and we are in need of youth at O line, LB, and D line?

RIP ST 21

HTTR

LETS GO!!!

Is Mays faster than Taylor? Probably. Same size as Taylor? Looks like it. So does that mean he can be as good as Taylor? HELL NO.

Taylor was not just some big, fast and extremely gifted athlete. He played as hard as I've seen anyone play, every play he went 110% until the whistle blowed(and sometimes even past that). Plus, I doubt Mays has anywhere near the strength and mean streak Taylor had. I have NEVER seen TO afraid of any player on the football field...until he met Sean Taylor.

Taylor also had natural football instincts and unbelievable closing speed that I have never seen in any other football player. It was not just his size and speed. ST was the total package, and an absolute menace on the field. Sean Taylor. Taylor also had natural football instincts and closing speed I have never seen in any other football player. It was not just his size and speed. ST was the total package, something Mays is not. Bulldozing through people much bigger than him. Brandon Jacobs even ****ed about it after a giants game a couple of years aog. Taylor also had natural football instincts and closing speed I have never seen in any other football player. It was not just his size and speed. ST was the total package, something Mays is not. Living out in the west coast I see a good number of USC games and rarely does he stand out.

Besides, we already have a great talent at FS in Landry(whom is a much better fit there than at SS). Mays is a FS.

BTW, FWIW, Josh Barrett had the same size and speed as Mays and Taylor...hasn't helped him much yet though.

I'm not saying he isn't a great player, but why would we go after him when we currently already have a FS in Landry who has the potential to be elite and we are in need of youth at O line, LB, and D line?

Like I said, i was not saying I wanted us to draft him if we had the chance, my point was he has the athletic ability like ST had and if he puts it all together, he could be a great safety like ST.

Agreed. Our Oline needs more help than a lot of people realize, especially to help the running game. As well as we did against the Saints, we still only averaged 1.3 ypc when running to the right. 1.3 yards!!! And I don't want to even talk about the Giants game (0.5 ypc). We don't just need to find someone how can fill in the gap at RT (Heyer), we need someone who could be a dominant run blocker AND protect the QB.

Taylor was not just some big, fast and extremely gifted athlete. He played as hard as I've seen anyone play, every play he went 110% until the whistle blowed(and sometimes even past that). Plus, I doubt Mays has anywhere near the strength and mean streak Taylor had. I have NEVER seen TO afraid of any player on the football field...until he met

Joe T. said after Taylor died that he was always so impressed by the amount of time Taylor spent watching film.

Like I said, i was not saying I wanted us to draft him if we had the chance, my point was he has the athletic ability like ST had and if he puts it all together, he could be a great safety like ST.

The guy can have all the measurables in the world. It still won't match up to ST man. Like the guy above said, it was the intensity Sean played with. Picking out the best person on the opposition, and making them feel like a scared little girl.

Ask Plaxico Burress, Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson. I would say ask TO, but he'd never admit it, and I think the highlights speak for itself.

And we're not saying Mays is a bad player, kids a baller. But he just isn't on that level.

Is Mays faster than Taylor? Probably. Same size as Taylor? Looks like it. So does that mean he can be as good as Taylor? HELL NO.

Taylor was not just some big, fast and extremely gifted athlete. He played as hard as I've seen anyone play, every play he went 110% until the whistle blowed(and sometimes even past that). Plus, I doubt Mays has anywhere near the strength and mean streak Taylor had. I have NEVER seen TO afraid of any player on the football field...until he met

What makes you doubt Mays has a mean streak....really? You probably no hardly anything about the guy...why cant he have the mean streak ST did.

Before we drafted ST I did not really follow his MU career and only started hearing alot about him leading up til the draft.

I have seen Mays play a couple of times and read some reports on him way more early on then I did for ST and let me say that the reports are almost identical to ST's. Extremely gifted athlete, can make up ground in a heart beat and can hit with the best of them...all that typical stuff for positive. The only negatives on both players coming out was that they would sometimes go for the big hit too often and not just wrap up. ST learned that his rookie year and made a huge leap his next 2 years.

You are just my example of someone saying that no one else can come along and do what ST did.

The guy can have all the measurables in the world. It still won't match up to ST man. Like the guy above said, it was the intensity Sean played with. Picking out the best person on the opposition, and making them feel like a scared little girl.

Ask Plaxico Burress, Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson. I would say ask TO, but he'd never admit it, and I think the highlights speak for itself.

And we're not saying Mays is a bad player, kids a baller. But he just isn't on that level.

Good points but, it took ST his rookie year to get on that level himself, showing receivers that he will be there when they are about to catch the ball and will get laid out. But what I still argue is that someone like Taylor mays who is the closest PHYSICAL replica of ST i can think of, cant get to that level and play with that streak. Mays already has that reputation in college for being the guy that will lay you out

and make you feel scared on the field, like ST did at Miami, why cant he do what ST and bring it to the pros????

You are just my example of someone saying that no one else can come along and do what ST did.

Show me a safety that can put on weight one year to help out in the box and lead the NFL in tackles for all DBs.

Then, the next year, cut weight so he can play centerfield as a true FS, and lead the NFL in INTs.

The day you do that, that'll be the day I'll change my mind.

Show me a safety that can put on weight one year to help out in the box and lead the NFL in tackles for all DBs.

Then, the next year, cut weight so he can play centerfield as a true FS, and lead the NFL in INTs.

The day you do that, that'll be the day I'll change my mind.

1. He came into the NFL at 6' 2 230ish and did not put on any weight.

2. After his 2nd and 3rd year he really trimmed down to be able to play faster.

3. The our defense sucked in 06 when he had so many tackles as a safety, meaning people ran through us like we were swiss cheese and ST was always there in the secondary to make the tackle.

I dont know why this is so significant, that he lost weight to gain speed, because i have heard of other players that have done that.

Now its not like i really want us to draft Mays, but he has everything Taylor had in physical ability coming out of college. Now he would have to put all of those physical gifts together on the football field and have the work ethic. So if he did do those things i think he could develop into the player ST was...i mean why cant he????

Basically your saying he has to lead the league in tackles for all DBs and then by his 4th year lead the league in interceptions.

I dont get that, but I want to stop the arguing about ST and focus on what the thread was made for...I know i kinda started the argument with my statement but it was just how I felt. All i was trying to say really is Taylor Mays has the potential to be the kind of player ST was, he would just have to have work ethic and determination, along with using the physical gifts he has on the football field. ST was human, except some of the plays that he made sometimes looked unhumany possible, and i think what he did could be matched and i think Mays has the POTENTIAL, he would just need to put it all together like sean did.

What makes you doubt Mays has a mean streak....really? You probably no hardly anything about the guy...why cant he have the mean streak ST did.

Before we drafted ST I did not really follow his MU career and only started hearing alot about him leading up til the draft.

Read the rest of my post. You've only quoted the first part.

Even still, I've seen enough of Taylor Mays to know that he will never have a chance at being the player ST was. Taylor was drafted 5th overall. He was only 20 years old, had 10 Ints his final season in college(LL had 14 in his entire 4-year career) a junior(FWIW, LL was projected as a 2nd rounder his junior year) and most draft people felt that he was the best player in the ENTIRE DRAFT. None of that stuff is going to being mentioned about Mays. Hell, it's even debatable whether he is the best safety on his team-let alone on ST's level.

Look at Mays' stats and compare them to Taylor's. It's not even close. And again, Josh Barrett is the same size as Taylor and Mays and probably faster(ran like a 4.33 at the combine). I'm not sure if he is still on any team's roster, after being picked in the 6th round.

O-line, DT, OLB, CB, and possibly S depending on how the season goes.

In my opinion we could use a better C than Rabach. Some will disagree but I just don't see him as a very good player.

It also seems like a lot of the pressure against us comes from the middle, causing Campbell to scramble and get sacked by a DE.

So top priority should be a G or a C IMO.

Assuming we cannot trade down and after a very cursory look for fun of course I would take the following players:

1st - OT Alex Boone

3rd - CB Trent Morgan

5th - OG Andy Kemp

6th - LB Worrell Williams

I believe it's Morgan Trent from Michigan :)

What a draft though.

Ohio State round one

Michigan round three!

Wisconsin round 5!

Big fan of the Big Ten eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should try to get rid of Marcus washington, unless he turns it around. Then we could go after George Selvie, who just played against Pitt. He could be a Demarcus Ware player. Big but can play linebacker and rush the passer. But my wild card for the linebacker situation is bring LAVAR back...lol...no seriously he looks like he wants to play and looks like he is in good physical shape.

I think we should try to get rid of Marcus washington, unless he turns it around. Then we could go after George Selvie, who just played against Pitt. He could be a Demarcus Ware player. Big but can play linebacker and rush the passer. But my wild card for the linebacker situation is bring LAVAR back...lol...no seriously he looks like he wants to play and looks like he is in good physical shape.

were not going to get much trade value for marcus. i say we draft a young OLB to be his future replacement, as blades is more suited as a MLB. as for lavar....dude, no way.

Our most glaring need will be clear after this season, and depending on the talent available at our draft pick for the position i would like to see us trade out of the 1st round again, and add another pick. the last thing we need to do is reach for someone in the 1st round just because the fans think we need a 1st round lineman.

Archived