Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2009 Draft Preview...

SkinsAllDay34

Yes its REALLY early but with the NFL season kicking off, college has started too. Now I am not doing this because I think we have a **** record and will have a top pick, just to see who y'all are looking at. So with that being said...

Who are you targeting already?

Who do you think we should go after?...I have already seen some Taylor Mays, Vontae Davis, and Aaron Kelly.

Give a list of your top players at each position if you want..

Post videos of the players highlights if there are any...

Just all that general stuff ...

Again its early but, maybe this thread will be used over the coarse of the NFL season and College season, and come post-season things will get interesting again like the 2008 draft discussions...:D

One thing I KNOW I don't want us to do is take a safety w/ our 1st rounder. I'd like to see us take an OL (probably stud tackle), outside LB, or if they really feel there is close to a can't miss CB prospect. However, if I had my pref, we would sign a CB in free agency (NMANDI ASOMUGHA!!!) not a outside LB. Reason being the only decent free agent linebackers play 3-4 in the AFC North (Channing Crowder and Eric Barton). I guess what I'm saying is we need to draft a Tackle as early as we can, w/ our 1st or 3rd rounder if we don't like our options in the first round.

(Note: I realize it's WAY too premature to be talking bout this, I'm in no way giving up on our season, but we have quite a road to pave ahead of us in terms of personnel to be an NFC power for years on end).

Taylor Mays and Landry in the same secondary would be freakin awesome.

That's a bad first round pick in my opinion. We really need STUDS up front, which we don't really have. We need to get younger in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Yes, we have Monty and Golston, but Monty is the only one I am comfortable starting games w/.

Mays is a great player, but not really a wise choice to use a first rounder w/ bcuz he is right now, a first round talent.

LT Eugene Monroe from Virginia

That was the guy that beat out Branden Albert for the LT job last year. Jansen and Samuels don't cut it anymore and we need an heir apparent. Heyer can take the right side.

If we really suck this year then I want us to take Rey Maualuga. Yes London Fletcher has a good number of years in him but Maualuga is one of those can't miss prospects.

I think we should focus significantly on the youth infusion on the oline. If we can spend two of the first three picks on oline, I think we can be set for a while on the oline with youth. Buges can teach these guys the tricks of the trade as the vets help out also (see Rinehart and Heyor).

The dline need is so overblown imo. We have Wilson and James to rotate in the future at de, since the skins rotate plenty of dl already. I know it's not popular opinion, but I think the skins will really help their cause if they get a penetrating dt if they get a top 10 pick.

I don't think the skins will go after a cb early, since they have Los and Smoot, both of which are on the right side of 30, but I do think they will spend another late pick on a cb for depth.

I do think the skins will spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a game-breaking rb much like the Titans did with Johnson. The 1-2-3 punch of Portis, Betts and a speedy young back will be tough to gameplan for, especially in the WCO.

One thing I KNOW I don't want us to do is take a safety w/ our 1st rounder. I'd like to see us take an OL (probably stud tackle), outside LB, or if they really feel there is close to a can't miss CB prospect. However, if I had my pref, we would sign a CB in free agency (NMANDI ASOMUGHA!!!) not a outside LB. Reason being the only decent free agent linebackers play 3-4 in the AFC North (Channing Crowder and Eric Barton). I guess what I'm saying is we need to draft a Tackle as early as we can, w/ our 1st or 3rd rounder if we don't like our options in the first round.

(Note: I realize it's WAY too premature to be talking bout this, I'm in no way giving up on our season, but we have quite a road to pave ahead of us in terms of personnel to be an NFC power for years on end).

Is Asomugha a free agent this season? Im pretty Sure Roy williams (reciever), is, I really wouldnt mind getting those two and drafting O line and D line. That would be amazing.

Draft OLine and Dline - all picks...

amen! also, i feel like we're good enough everywhere that, should there be a *top* tier O- or D-line prospect available that we would need to trade up to get, we should pull the trigger. we had, imho, a very good draft this year and addressed our offensive weaknesses and other depth issues, but now we need some serious playmakers in the trenches.

if those players include an inside-outside pass rusher (a la justin tuck) or a immovable object on the o-line (like herman johnson, the 386-pounder from LSU), all the better.

Is Asomugha a free agent this season? Im pretty Sure Roy williams (reciever), is, I really wouldnt mind getting those two and drafting O line and D line. That would be amazing.

Asomugha is a FA next year, but I'd be willing to bet the Raiders tag him again if they don't work out a contract extension this year.

And Roy Williams wouldn't be the smartest use of FA money, considering we just drafted 3 pass catchers this year and the jury is out on all of them. I'd much rather spend the money on a FA CB replacement for Springs or on depth on the lines.

I think we should focus significantly on the youth infusion on the oline. If we can spend two of the first three picks on oline, I think we can be set for a while on the oline with youth. Buges can teach these guys the tricks of the trade as the vets help out also (see Rinehart and Heyor).

The dline need is so overblown imo. We have Wilson and James to rotate in the future at de, since the skins rotate plenty of dl already. I know it's not popular opinion, but I think the skins will really help their cause if they get a penetrating dt if they get a top 10 pick.

I don't think the skins will go after a cb early, since they have Los and Smoot, both of which are on the right side of 30, but I do think they will spend another late pick on a cb for depth.

I do think the skins will spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a game-breaking rb much like the Titans did with Johnson. The 1-2-3 punch of Portis, Betts and a speedy young back will be tough to gameplan for, especially in the WCO.

Good point about the chris johnson and the 1 2 3 punch. I was looking and another guy from Michigan State that jumps out as a speedy young explosive back is Javon Ringer. He rushed for over 1400 yards last year and this year is in a tough RB class. So if he is there in the 3rd,4th round. I wouldnt mind taking him.

Rey Mauluga is going to go in the top 10, and while he's a freakin' beast (I watch a lot of USC games out here) that's not a pick I want us to spend on a LB. We need to draft D-line and O-line and CB. No more excuses.

We have all the skill positions we could possibly want, and you can get good LB's later.

Yessir. I really want Nnamdi as Springs' replacement. He is an UFA, he was last year as well but got franchised. This 2009 offseason, we should throw $$ at him. He's one that is worth is.

Great thread I wanted to start one but I thought it would get moved and nothing would become of it, anyway.....

I think our biggest needs are CB, S, OLB, OT, OG, DT.

CB:

vontae-davis-549.jpg

Surefire pick: If we go here first it has to be Vontae Davis if we are in a position to take him. A true man to man corner. He can be put on an island and excel. His knock is he might have a slight stiffness in his hips but that is something that can be fixed. Other then that his other intangibles are off the chart. He hits like a truck, has great speed, very very physical. He is the definition of what a "shutdown" corner is. He is the younger brother of Vernon Davis and he is a physical freak like his brother. To me he is compared to a cross between Bailey and Rivas. One plus is that Davis is an electric KR/PR as well. Not Hesteresque but still very above average.

Highlights:

Week one against Missouri going up against Macklin from Missouri, one of the nations top WR's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASid1mu1B4c

Last years bowl game McKnight breaks one loose and Davis comes out of nowhere and takes him down. His speed mix with his size would have any scout drooling. 1:11 into the clip you will find the play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfxPbfLTxIY

1230_osu_jenkins_sp_12-30-07_C1_9D8TS66.jpg

Unsure pick: This pick would have to be Malcolm Jenkins. He has all the athletic ability that Vontae Davis has but his major concern on our part is he most likely translates best as a cover 2 corner. Ohio State runs a primarily zone defense and Jenkins is excellent in it. Does that mean he cant excel as a man to man corner? No. But he isn't as battle tested and polished as he is with zone coverage. If you want a polished overall pick then go with Jenkins because some will argue that Davis is more raw then Jenkins. Jenkins is being compared to Talib and how he was a fit for only certain teams.

I like:

Malcolm Jenkins (CB Ohio State):

Big DB 6-1, 210 and runs a 4.3. Hits like a safety/LB can cover any WR, would be especially great for the big guys in our division like Plaz and TO.

Phil Loadholt (OT Oklahoma)

6-8, 350 MONSTER of a tackle, excellent run blocker could be a franchise RT for over a decade

Taylor Mays (FS USC)

6-3, 230 runs a 4.4 40. Best safety to come out of college since Sean Taylor.

James Laurinaitis (ILB Ohio State)

6-3, 244 Team leader, 100 percent heart, complete package. Best ILB since Brian Urlacher.

Yes its REALLY early but with the NFL season kicking off, college has started too. Now I am not doing this because I think we have a **** record and will have a top pick, just to see who y'all are looking at. So with that being said...

Who are you targeting already?

Who do you think we should go after?...I have already seen some Taylor Mays, Vontae Davis, and Aaron Kelly.

Give a list of your top players at each position if you want..

Post videos of the players highlights if there are any...

Just all that general stuff ...

Again its early but, maybe this thread will be used over the coarse of the NFL season and College season, and come post-season things will get interesting again like the 2008 draft discussions...:D

Does it really matter whom ever? If the dude doesn't post great stats and get it down totally from day one, most of the board will be calling for his head anyway. :doh:

Hail.

The safety class is a REALLY deep one. The top of the class is very heavy with talent so if we could trade back and get a 2nd that we lost we could see some great talent still there.

William Moore - Missouri

Taylor Mays - USC

Patrick Chung - Oregon

Michael Hamlin - Clemson

Courtney Green - Rutgers

Rashad Johnson - Alabama

David Burton - Notre Dame

Kevin Ellison - USC

Moore is a stud hands down. The comparison to Brian Dawkins v2.0 is right one. He is a ballhawk, hard hitter, and great run supporter. 115 tackles, 8 INT's, 9 TFL and 2 Sacks last season. Here is his highlights:

Taylor Mays has all the potential in the world but he has to put it all together. If you want an incredible upside go with Mays. If you want a polished product go with Moore. Mays draws similar comparisons to Sean Taylor but is no where near that level yet but he could be eventually. He is built like a LB but runs a supposed 4.3 40. He may drop to the mid/late round 1 if he does not have a stellar season because he is so raw right now.

A kid who has the potential to over take all the safeties is Patrick Chung from Oregon. This kid has ALL the tools you look for. He is another true ballhawk (recurring theme huh?) He covers a TON of space. He is quick and the term hits like a truck is an understatement with him. Check out this clip of him. Pay close attention to him (#15) at the INT where he is blocking on the return starting at the 1:00 mark. He lays out not one but TWO of Michigans big linemen on the return. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgUERW4VEg

Also Chung is a great KR/PR prospect. With the horrible play by ARE at PR this is something that would add great value to a pick if we take him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmP68LFXfYc&feature=related

A dark horse player to keep a watch out for is Kevin Ellison. He plays along side Taylor Mays and they make up one of it not the best safety duo in the nation. With all the hype over Mays, Ellison goes mostly underrated but he is not slouch. He also lays a lot of wood. He is as quick as they come too. Im sure you all will like the following clips of Ellison:

Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State

Ciron Black, OT, LSU

Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma

Herman Johnson, G, LSU

Duke Robinson, G, Oklahoma

Louis Vasquez, OG, Texas Tech

Kraig Urbik, G, Wisconsin

Xavier Fulton, OT, Illinois

George Selvie, DE, South Florida

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU