Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone concerned about Jansen's play?

bigevhfan

Fact of the matter is that he's going to be getting beat alot and need to do this. While it might be a smart play, it's a BAD play to need to do this alot. If your only way to keep a DE off you QB consistently is to hold, I have one word for you if this was anyone else except you guys on his jock......

CUT.

Jansen is a solid RT, that needs a little more conditioning. He hasn't played a real down since week 1 last year. Take a year off work and see if you can be back to full speed in 2 weeks. :doh: I will take the word of Joe Bugel and the coaching staff over you.
He's look bad for over 2 years. Not Fickle.
How did the right side perform with Jansen in 2006? How did the right side perform without him in 2007? Wade SUCKED last year. And how can a guy look bad for the last 2 years when he didn't play last year. The right side was DOMINANT in 2005, and good in 2006. The right side was THE weak link last year. What was missing last year on the right side? Hmmmm :idea:

Jansen has struggled this camp and during the preseason. That is a fact.

Whether he can get back to form and play like he did a few years ago remains to be seen.

The Skins have Heyer who is very capable. Hopefully Rinehart can develop into a good tackle as well.

If Jansen continues to struggle he may lose his job.

I think we'll be able to see a lot about Jansen in these next two preseason games when the starters get a significant boost in playing time. I think it's really unfair to call for his head after about 8 drives. To be honest we don't have anyone who is better than he his. I forget who it was, but someone said that "if a rookie was playing like he was then he would be cut, and Jansen should too"...are you insane? Yeah, lets cut a multiple time pro bowler and the longest tenured player on this team because he hasn't been up to some of our expectations in a couple drives during the pre season.

I don't believe Jansen has been to a pro bowl, let alone multiple ones.

Well I think after missing a lot last yr and having 2 major surgeries on his leg, jansen needs time to come back to speed. Lets look at his game this week against a good panthers D line...

I think jansen will need help this yr with a TE helping him out in some situations...He better be ready to play against a very good Giants D-line week 1...

Well I think after missing a lot last yr and having 2 major surgeries on his leg, jansen needs time to come back to speed. Lets look at his game this week against a good panthers D line...

I think jansen will need help this yr with a TE helping him out in some situations...He better be ready to play against a very good Giants D-line week 1...

That's just it, the career of a starting O-lineman is not that long, especially when you have major injuries like Achilles tendon. John has been playing for nine years. Add to that his injuries and he's probably like a 12 year veteran equivalent.

Unless he miraculously has a career year this year, I think he's done.

Nobody has mentioned his third play of the Jets game. Jansen was turned around and thrown flat on his face like a rag, then his man batted Jason's pass away, then knocked JC on his ass. Jansen got up and didn't even help JC to his feet. But it wasn't a sack, so I guess he's still better than Heyer.

Another thing I noticed was Jansens run blocking. There was none. The team elected not to run off Jansens side at all. Not once. Not sure what that means.

Nobody has mentioned his third play of the Jets game. Jansen was turned around and thrown flat on his face like a rag, then his man batted Jason's pass away, then knocked JC on his ass. Jansen got up and didn't even help JC to his feet. But it wasn't a sack, so I guess he's still better than Heyer.

Another thing I noticed was Jansens run blocking. There was none. The team elected not to run off Jansens side at all. Not once. Not sure what that means.

I've mentioned everything you just said. And when I did..I got called a "Jansen Hater." :(

That third play was on Jason. He held on to the ball too long off a three step drop. You gotta get the ball out quick with short drops. Yeah, Jansen got knocked down, but he took the defender to the ground with him. That guy had to pick himself off the ground to move and make the play. Jason should have either gotten the ball out or he should have moved. He had plenty of time to do either.

Also, Campbell wasn't sacked in the Jets game. The OP is wrong.

That third play was on Jason. He held on to the ball too long off a three step drop. You gotta get the ball out quick with short drops. Yeah, Jansen got knocked down, but he took the defender to the ground with him. That guy had to pick himself off the ground to move and make the play. Jason should have either gotten the ball out or he should have moved. He had plenty of time to do either.

Also, Campbell wasn't sacked in the Jets game. The OP is wrong.

So, what exactly is your point here?

Are you saying that because Jason held onto the ball too long and Jansen took his man down on the above mentioned play, Jansen is doing ok?

I lean towards the devil's advocate side with Jansen. I always thought he could be in better shape, and while he seems to be in good cardio shape, it has never helped his agility. He always seems to get caught on his heels when a DE really wants to make a play.

His legs and arms are mostly made up of fatty tissue. He is a strong fellow, don't get me wrong, but I think with a beastly weight training program, he could have (perhaps he still can) really been an elite tackle in this league. He just never broke the barrier of being an above-average tackle. And he might have only reached that level at his peak.

I can't tell you how eager I am to see his performance this year. If he does well, then Heyer can be utlized elsewhere; if he does poorly, I will be sad to say I'd like to see Heyer be put in his place. The good news for Jansen is the WCO should ask him to mostly hold his blocks less than 4 seconds.

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing.

i know. this is not a good thing to see. Tuck and Osi and even the DT's are at the QB before he can set his feet every single play. i was watching for like 5 minutes and they scored 23 points, all off of defensive pressure, except for Eli's bomb, which was a great pass and catch i must say.

Jansen has never been an off-season workout warrior. He has always been one of those guys that uses camp to work back into playing shape and obviously he's not there yet.

I remember hearing the same things about his play in preseason for the last few years. This year is no different.

Bottom line is IF he is healthy and IF he can stay healthy he will be ok. He's a player. Those are big IF's however. I'm not convinced his ankles and knees can & will hold up.

It will be interseting to see how much TE help he gets against the Panthers bull-rush. Zorn would be very foolish to gamble with the health of his starting QB if Jansen is making them nervous.

:helmet:

Archived