Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panda Express

MissU28

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Panda Express is that place in the airport you choose to go to because it seems slightly less unhealthy than McDonald's.

Their General Tsao's Chicken is deadly tasty, though, and far less likely than McDonald's to give me DEFCON 1 level gas. I've eaten it many a time. Every dish is good for several unchewable "everlasting nugget" chicken chunks that, as far as I can tell, may actually be made of old shredded Firestone tires.

It's not good Chinese. It's not really even Chinese at all. Chinese people don't eat that stuff. They generally eat actual Chinese food, as far as I saw.

To give you an idea of just how "authentic" Panda Express is, there's a place across the street from MIT that serves the same stuff. As in, maybe from the same pre-packaged cans and tubs. It's called "Beijing Tokyo." Try to wrap your head around that name for a moment or two. :laugh:

(Beijing Tokyo apparently got cited for no fewer than 8 separate health code violations in a single day last year. "Rodent droppings" was one of them. Yum.)

I have to agree with BigMike that Panda Express is great as one of those guilty-pleasure places.

PF Chang's, while clearly on a completely separate plane from dumps like Panda Express, is pretty bland and uninteresting food. I've been to a couple of them, and I was incredibly underwhelmed each time. I was expecting a lot more each time. They do, however, own a small chain of "bistros" called Pei Wei, and those places are pretty damned good.

For really really good restaurant-style Chinese food, I'd suggest that a chain of any kind really isn't the way to go. If you've never tried it, find an authentic Dim Sum place for an eye-opening meal. :)

Pure garbage. Big Mike needs to try some real Chinese food. That's like going to Taco Bell for Mexican food. :puke:
Taco Bell? Good. Panda Express? Good.

It's not gourmet; it's fast food, and for the price you pay and the speed with which you get the food, it is very satisfying.

It's not good Chinese. It's not really even Chinese at all. Chinese people don't eat that stuff. They generally eat actual Chinese food, as far as I saw.
It's Chinese fast food ... actually, maybe more accurately it's Chinese kid's food - you'll find similar things in Asia, but it's looked upon like McDonald's is here. Chinese kids eat General Tsao's chicken (or similar dishes) like American kids eat Chicken Nuggets. Panda Express has tweaked a lot of the Chinese fast food dishes for American tastes, and they have been very successful at it.

I also agree that PF Chang's is crap ... they have also been pretty good at adjusting Chinese food to American tastes, but I really don't think it's worth the upward adjustment in price.

Funny enough, Panda Inn (Which is owned by Panda Express) is REALLY GOOD.
The original Panda Inn in Pasadena is money. That's some real high quality Chinese food.

It's Chinese fast food ... actually, maybe more accurately it's Chinese kid's food - you'll find similar things in Asia, but it's looked upon like McDonald's is here. Chinese kids eat General Tsao's chicken (or similar dishes) like American kids eat Chicken Nuggets.

Interesting. Yeah I always figured General Tso's was like a kiddie food....I could never actually imagine Chinese adults ordering it. :laugh:

It's crap as far as authentic Chinese food is considered...but I frickin LOVE IT!

Orange chicken is my favorite and my friends and I call it "heroin chicken." I accidently used that slang in a drive through a few months back :laugh:

BTW, they have it here in Asia, at least the Philippines. I saw it in the mall the other day and thought to myself "why the hell would anyone eat this here, with all the good, authentic food!"

Give me the smaller, non-chain Chinese restaurant every time over those places.

I agree. I like the hole in a wall places where you live on the edge wondering when the health inspector last made a visit. You get the best food and service.

I used to live right down the block from a Panda Express when I was younger and living with a group of guys. Panda Express is responsible for the only time in my life that I've had food poisoning. I probably ate there 20-25 times, but only once after that episode. It's disgusting, but it's so damned convenient, and chinese food rules.

I agree. I like the hole in a wall places where you live on the edge wondering when the health inspector last made a visit. You get the best food and service.

Exactly.

Fast Food - There used to be this place on 13th Street (Between L and N) I think it was called "Jerry's", little carryout place and the food was made to order and great. Neighborhood was a little suspect, but the food was always made to order.

Dine-In - There is a place outside of Boston that even has a piano bar, that has some of the best Chinese I have ever had.

Although technically Polynesian...I miss the Kona Kai at the Marriott in Rockville. That place was great.

It's Chinese fast food ... actually, maybe more accurately it's Chinese kid's food - you'll find similar things in Asia, but it's looked upon like McDonald's is here. Chinese kids eat General Tsao's chicken (or similar dishes) like American kids eat Chicken Nuggets.

Interesting... I've never paid much attention to Asian kids' food, I guess.

If Panda Express starts serving cooked fish whole, with the head, expecting people to fight over the eyeball, I'll be very impressed. :D

You WERE running on the ***** ticket.

How can it be bros before h......h.......happy people?

:laugh:

I can't even respond to this without offending half a dozen people, but suffice it to say that if it's cheap and easy, hog doesn't want it. :)

Archived