Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MCCAIN'S TOP ECONOMIC ADVISOR -- "USA A NATION OF WHINERS"

Hooper

What, they have a problem with us whining about the trillion of dollars we have borrowed to wage the Iraq war instead of using higher taxes, causing our dollar to drop and hence the prices for everything go up? They have a problem with that? Screw em.

Another example of the government wagging its finger at us for not sucking it up enough. Just like Gordon Brown told Britons about wasting food. We're to blame somehow.

Somehow we're to blame for endless, pointless war, enormous public debt, the plummeting dollar, rising unemployment, and skyrocketing inflation. So if we complain about how our government has run our country into the ground, we're whiners.

Get over yourself, Phil.

:applause:

A bunch of whiners eh??? Yeah your right my unemployment and lack of money is in my dreams right. Gimme some of your government healthcare and I might tell people to stop whining too. Oh McCain if only you could watch some Digitalfuntown programs and calm urself down.

He's right. As a rule when people have had it good and then things take a turn for the worse, we break out our diapers, soil ourselves and start crying.

Yeah things look ****ty right now with gas prices, unemployment and the housing fiasco. But then again you don't live in North Korea, Cuba or Mynamar. Youre not a dirt farmer in South East Uganda and this isn't America in 1933.

Is the economic slowdown the result of the perceived whining or is the perceived whining the result of an economic slowdown?
One of my pet peeves about economic discussion is how much weight is given to psychological factors like "confidence" and whatnot. Economic behavior is driven by real factors like prices and other incentives, not faith, belief and confidence. It's not like if we somehow all just perked up and just started believing that the economy is really healthy, all of a sudden the Dow Jones would shoot up 300 points.

It's just ludricrous.

to people effected by the slowdown its real... to people not its mental.

mccains camp is not effected they are all well to do individuals so they attribute it to whining. its really sick and telling statement on how they view the populace.

almost as bad as the libtard dumy-crats who view the populace as largely ignorant and helpless, and therefore need to set up government programs for the ignorant helpless masses

[/dumbass political talking point]

A nation of whiners? It would seem the Washington Post agrees, at least with respect to the baby boomers:

Baby Boomers Got the Blues

Viewing Life Through Morose-Colored Glasses

By Monica Hesse

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, July 10, 2008; Page C01

The baby boomers -- that prominent group of middle-agers whose massive numbers invite never-ending dissection and speculation -- have once again spoken. What they have said is, "Waaaaaahhh."

This is according to a social and demographic trends survey released recently by the Pew Research Center. The survey measured the pessimism, dissatisfaction and general curmudgeonliness of 2,413 adults in various generations.

The results validate any member of the Greatest Generation who ever looked at his or her offspring and sadly thought, "soft." Simply put, boomers are a bunch of . . . whiners.

Click on the link for the full article

One of my pet peeves about economic discussion is how much weight is given to psychological factors like "confidence" and whatnot. Economic behavior is driven by real factors like prices and other incentives, not faith, belief and confidence. It's not like if we somehow all just perked up and just started believing that the economy is really healthy, all of a sudden the Dow Jones would shoot up 300 points.

It's just ludricrous.

I dont believe ive ever disagreed with something more.

Please correct me then.

I'd love to hear it.

I think consumer confidence is very much related to the economy.

But to say that "all of this is in our heads" is a bunch of total ****ing bull****.

Our economy is struggling, ignoring that is foolish. We may not be in a technical recession but this guy is a moron.

It's just ludricrous.

I'm with you here. I'm sure consumer confidence does affect our economy because consumers by and large drive our economy. However, I tend to think that lack of confidence is the result of real pressures and concerns, not the result of some perceived notion of our collective softness and/or whining, neither of which can be accurately measured.

The whole it's mental, it's our fault theory smacks of Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale.
It's exactly that. In the Great Malaise Speech Carter gave he described it as a "crisis of confidence." It's a disease of the spirit so goes the mantra. We've heard it all before. It's wrong no matter what the date.

But to say that "all of this is in our heads" is a bunch of total ****ing bull****.

Our economy is struggling, ignoring that is foolish. We may not be in a technical recession but this guy is a moron.

It's funny that everyone is putting so many words into this guys mouth. Anyone notice that the article had exactly 4 words longer than 2 letters in quotations.

From that, people are reading into that he said the economic slowdown is ALL just mental, its all our fault, and he's ignoring everything else.

From 4 words, they got all that.

I believe the driving fallacy behind the confidence argument is the idea that wealth is created by consumption. It's just a wrong statement. We've fallen into the belief that because high consumption coincides with high wealth, that consumption causes wealth. But that is just flat-out wrong. So the CCI will go down and up depending on how wealthy the people are but it doesn't determine how wealthy the people are.

It's funny that everyone is putting so many words into this guys mouth. Anyone notice that the article had exactly 4 words longer than 2 letters in quotations.

From that, people are reading into that he said the economic slowdown is ALL just mental, its all our fault, and he's ignoring everything else.

From 4 words, they got all that.

Using the phrase "a mental recession" is wrong.

It implies that its all in our head, when in reality our economy is struggling.

It's just ludricrous.

The entire system is based upon faith belief and confidence. Just pull out a $20 bill. Guess what? That piece of paper isnt worth $20 unless you have faith and confidence in the institution that says it's worth $20.

Further, I dont understand how you can say that confidence in the economy doesnt itself effect the economy. If someone thinks their job is in jeopardy, then they are going to spend less. That ripples throughout the entire economy because when person A spends less, then person B EARNS less, so person B spends less, and so on and so forth.

Archived