Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MCCAIN'S TOP ECONOMIC ADVISOR -- "USA A NATION OF WHINERS"

Hooper

I actually agree on the whining stuff. Outside of the troops, no one in this country has been asked to sacrifice a damn thing for a long, long time. But I disagree when it comes his view on the economy -- I think we're screwed because... well, we haven't been asked to sacrifice anything in a long, long time.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0708/11658.html

Former Sen. Phil Gramm, a top economic adviser to presumptive GOP nominee John McCain, referred to the economic slowdown as "a mental recession" and called the United States “a nation of whiners.”

The comments, in an interview with The Washington Times, could hurt the campaign’s efforts to convince working-class Americans that McCain feels their pain.

Democrats immediately condemned the remarks as “callous” and quickly began working to gain widespread attention to them.

The Democratic National Committee issued a statement titled: “Out of Touch Much, Phil.”

A McCain official said: “Phil Gramm’s comments are not representative of John McCain’s views. John McCain travels the country every day talking to Americans who are hurting, feeling pain at the pump and worrying about how they’ll pay their mortgage. That’s why he has a realistic plan to deliver immediate relief at the gas pump, grow our economy and put Americans back to work.”

The Times said Gramm said he expects a McCain administration would inherit an economy “weighed down above all by the conviction of many Americans that economic conditions are the worst in two or three decades and that America is in decline.”

The Times quoted him as saying: “You've heard of mental depression; this is a mental recession. … We have sort of become a nation of whiners. …

Ahaha! This is perfect. This will be a perfect example of people being outraged by the truth.

They guy is right - we are a nation of whiners. Just look at this board half the time. :laugh: Though I do like to see these threads and people like Sarge avoid them like the plague.

They guy is right - we are a nation of whiners. Just look at this board half the time. :laugh: Though I do like to see these threads and people like Sarge avoid them like the plague.

What's to avoid? We are a bunch of soft, pansy whiners.

BUt saying the country is in a "mental recession" is bunk as well. It may not be a recession technically, it may not be a recession to a lot of people. But ot a lot of others it is. I was shopping in Walmart the other day and saw more than a few people put groceries back over what I assumed was the skyrocketing cost

BUt saying the country is in a "mental recession" is bunk as well. It may not be a recession technically, it may not be a recession to a lot of people. But ot a lot of others it is. I was shopping in Walmart the other day and saw more than a few people put groceries back over what I assumed was the skyrocketing cost

Wow...I agree with you. :)

Must...not...agree....with...Sarge

The truth hurts, but I would say that calling the US a "Nation of Whiners" (while true) is a poor choice of words.

Now you're just making stuff up Sarge. I got a 12 fl oz bottle of hand sanitizer for $.99 at Wal Mart just the other day

Another example of the government wagging its finger at us for not sucking it up enough. Just like Gordon Brown chastized Britons about wasting food. We're to blame somehow.

Somehow we're to blame for endless, pointless war, enormous public debt, the plummeting dollar, rising unemployment, and skyrocketing inflation. So if we complain about how our government has run our country into the ground, we're whiners.

Get over yourself, Phil.

So, is that measured by the Whine and ***** Index? The problems we are having economically, real problems that many Americans are facing day to day, are being caused by whining? Well, I'm convinced.

I dont think there is a whine and ***** index. Though, i think the consumer confidence index pretty much covers it.

http://www.bankruptcylawnetwork.com/2008/06/28/what-is-the-consumer-confidence-index/

Another example of the government wagging its finger at us for not sucking it up enough. Just like Gordon Brown told Britons about wasting food. We're to blame somehow.

Somehow we're to blame for endless, pointless war, enormous public debt, the plummeting dollar, rising unemployment, and skyrocketing inflation. So if we complain about how our government has run our country into the ground, we're whiners.

Get over yourself, Phil.

Wow, thats an awful lot of words you put in his mouth.

I dont think there is a whine and ***** index. Though, i think the consumer confidence index pretty much covers it.

http://www.bankruptcylawnetwork.com/2008/06/28/what-is-the-consumer-confidence-index/

Is that an indication of our whineosity, or an indication that people are more inclined to regulate what purchases they make because they are getting less for their money?

Well, I'm reading between the lines a bit, I admit. But I did hear an interview he gave to Larry Kudlow last night, and that's the impression I got from that as well.

I didnt hear the interview. All ive seen is this story......from the Politico......which im sure presents all the facts in the most unbiased way possible and wouldnt possible quote him without providing all relevant context.

Is that an indication of our whineosity, or an indication that people are more inclined to regulate what purchases they make because they are getting less for their money?

Its both. :)

This coming from a man who was part of the Keating five....okayyyy.

So far anyone in John McCain's camp as this amazing ability to say the first thing on their minds in front of a mic...like Charles Black and "another terrorist attack...."

Archived