Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Witten/Bennet vs Cooley/Davis

ArmchairRedskin

Who will be the more prolific duo?

I say Cooley and Davis will most definitely score more TD's and Witten and Bennett will probably have more yards. That's because outside of TO, the receiver options for Dallas are limited. I believe Washington will spread the ball around more, but rely heavily on TE's in the redzone.

I say Cooley and Davis will most definitely score more TD's and Witten and Bennett will probably have more yards. That's because outside of TO, the receiver options for Dallas are limited. I believe Washington will spread the ball around more, but rely heavily on TE's in the redzone.

Should be interesting. Bennett will have to beat out Tony Curtis for playing time. I'll give the edge to Dallas given the attention TO commands, Romo sits to pee and the fact that our offense as a whole is more prolific right now.

Interesting analysis given that our #3 receiver scored MORE TD'S than your top two wideouts while playing the #2 role? Also interesting considering your next two receivers are rookies vs. our young veterans. Should be very close and interesting.

IMO, Davis/Cooley will be more productive. By how much more I am not sure. Witten will probably have 70+ catches, 800+ yards.

But Cooley will be consistent as always. Davis will see more PT than Bennett will. Therefore I give the Skins combo the edge over Dallas's.

I also heard out of the ranch that Tony Curtis is seeing a boat load of 2nd team snaps. Not that it means much. Also Bennett seems to be having trouble grappling a NFL playbook.

IMO, Witten will put up better #'s than Cooley due to being in a more pass oriented offense. Davis will have better #'s than Bennett.

Know nothing about Bennett but Depends on how both teams use 2 TE sets

I don't plan on Dallas using many. Didn't run to much of it last year. It was either pound it with MBIII or an Air show.

If they do, I don't plan on Bennett having much impact other than a 6'7 target in the red zone.

For what it's worth, our combined tight end #'s last season ...

Jason Witten - 96 Catches, 1,145 Yards, 7 TD's

Anthony Fasano - 14 Catches, 143 Yards, 1 TD

Tony Curtis - 3 Catchesm 18 Yards, 3 TD's.

I don't plan on Dallas using many. Didn't run to much of it last year. It was either pound it with MBIII or an Air show.

If they do, I don't plan on Bennett having much impact other than a 6'7 target in the red zone.

thanks for letting us know Jason Garrett

How is Bennett's blocking skills? I dont know too much about him.

If he's a great blocker, I could see him being used less than Davis in terms of catching.

Either way, both our teams are lucky to have two great TE's. Other teams barely have one.

Interesting analysis given that our #3 receiver scored MORE TD'S than your top two wideouts while playing the #2 role? Also interesting considering your next two receivers are rookies vs. our young veterans. Should be very close and interesting.

The number of TDs shouldn't and doesn't tell the whole story, though. For example, Mike Sellers had 7 TDs in 2005, the same as your #3-slash-#2 receiver had last season. Does that mean that Sellers should have been seen as a "receiving option" equal to Crayton? Considering that Sellers only had 12 receptions that entire year, I would think the answer is "no" lol.

Both Moss and Antwaan Randle El had more receptions and more yards than Crayton did, with ARE's ypc being just higher than Crayton's and Moss' ypc being just lower. Also, 70.5% of Moss' receptions went for 1st downs, while 74.5% of ARE's receptions did. Crayton? Only 66% of his receptions went for 1st down.

Most importantly, though, most Skins fans will admit that Moss and ARE aren't adequate "receiving options", and that we needed a bonafide #2 (if not #1) receiver, particularly a possession receiver. What you're saying, though, is that for Dallas, Crayton is more than enough of a receiving option, no upgrade needed at all. While we're doing backflips over the prospect of having Thomas and Kelly on the team, you're saying you're just fine staying pat. I thinking that pretty much any Skins fan who claims Dallas' receiving options are "limited" after T.O. would be saying the same thing about our own receiving unit prior to the draft.

Also keep in mind that Moss and Randle El are going to be 29 when the season starts, as will Crayton. The Skins, however, added youth and serious potential to their receiving unit. The Cowboys added neither, and their top three receivers are going to be 29, 34 and 34 years old, with one 34 year old seriously questionable to even play this season and the 29 year old most likely having reached his peak with 50 receptions and 7 TDs. Just to compare, Darnerien McCants had 27 catches and 6 TDs for us in 2003. I don't think he was ever seen as more than a #4 receiver while here.

Like I said, the number of TDs doesn't come close to telling the whole story.

I don't think Bennett will end up being the #2 TE this season. Tony Curtis had a strong showing in OTAs and is far more advanced in the learning/experience curve than Bennett. Early reports have stated that Bennett is getting out of the rookie gates a little slowly. Who knows, maybe things will click for him sometime this year, but for now I wouldn't count on it.

What does the TD production of Crayton have to do with the amount of looks your TE's get? When I say limited options, I mean that there aren't many guys outside of TO who will get a lot of looks to take away from Witten. Crayton only caught 50 passes last year, and I doubt that will change much this year.

Your team will more than likely look very similiar to last year. TO will be the primary target, Witten will be the number 2 target and Crayton the number 3. You'll probably try to mix Felix in some and your other guys will most likely be used vary sparingly. Including Bennett. Are they still planning on using MB3 in the pass game? I dunno.

I honestly doubt Hurd, Austin or even that super awesome Wes Welker clone UDFA will make much noise. Romo sits to pee favors TO and Witten too heavily. Those other guys won't get many looks.

On our side of the ball, we are implementing a WC offense with the emphasis being on spreading the ball around. We just got three new targets and I'm pretty sure we didn't draft them all in the second round just so they can sit on the bench all year. To me that means less looks for Cooley than Witten once again. Cambpell will be tossing the rock to Moss, ARE, Cooley, Thomas, Portis, Betts, Kelly and probably Davis.

So in my estimation, Cooley and Davis will get more TD's, but less yards than Witten and Bennett, or even Curtis, if that will make you guys feel better. I'm pretty sure Witten will probably get more looks than Cooley and Davis combined all by himself, really. But as ususal, he won't find the endzone all that much.

I'd say that's a pretty fair look at things.

I think Cooley and Davis will get more yards, while Witten and Bennett get more TD's. Bennett I can see struggling this year, but he's still going to have that height advantage in the red zoneand being an ex-basketball player, he should hall in a few TD's on his own.

But all in all, I think Davis is more NFL ready, and should catch more balls.

Cooley and Witten are pretty much even, IMO, despite what the numbers say.

But the best TE duo? Shockey and Boss!!! :)

I think Cooley and Davis will get more yards, while Witten and Bennett get more TD's. Bennett I can see struggling this year, but he's still going to have that height advantage in the red zoneand being an ex-basketball player, he should hall in a few TD's on his own.

Ok, we can toss Shockey and Boss in there if you want. I still think Cooley and Davis will be more productive.

In fact, I think Shockey and Boss will be third in TE production. In both yards and TD's.

Ok, we can toss Shockey and Boss in there if you want. I still think Cooley and Davis will be more productive.

In fact, I think Shockey and Boss will be third in TE production. In both yards and TD's.

Well, I'll give you this, I'd put Shockey behind Cooley and Witten. He's definitely earned it. But Boss shouldn't be the forgotten man in the backup TE department.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. :doh:

Well, I'll give you this, I'd put Shockey behind Cooley and Witten. He's definitely earned it. But Boss shouldn't be the forgotten man in the backup TE department.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread. :doh:

No hijacking. I think it's fair to bring Shockey and Boss into it. I probably should have in the first place. I just wasn't sure about Shockey's status, or if you can even factor in Boss all that much.

a 6'7" target with a pretty good vertical...

Big factor when inside the 20.... endzone gets stuffy, only open place is the horizontal plane about 10' in the air.

Thats IF ****key stays with the VaGiants :D

Archived