Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your best Redskin childhood memory...

RedskinNutt

-I really started following the Redskins at age 8. That was the season where we nearly went to the NFC Championship game. That season was magic. It seemed like we could do no wrong. When we beat the Lions in the Wild Card game, my dad and I started jumping up and down and the both of us acted like kids.

-The next one came a few years later from one of the most infamous Redskins ever: Bruce Smith. Smith was a bust, but one Monday night against the Rams, he would not be denied. It was one of the few games we won that year, and I'm so glad I stayed up past my bedtime to watch it.

-More recently, there's the 35-7 whomping we put on the Cowboys en route to a playoff birth, ST's dive into the endzone the same year, and watching the Cowboys-Redskins play last season, once again, with my father.

There have been a lot of terrible memories watching this team (including last year's midseason Cowboy's game where I literally felt my chest cave and my left arm go numb) but in the end, one great memory takes the place of a thousand bad ones.

First memory is attending my first game which was on 1/15/83, divisional playoff against the Vikings. All I remember is looking down at the centerfield helmet logo w/ the two bar face mask pointing toward the south endzone. I was five. My first of many visits to section 507 at 2400 E Cap. St. SE. I have the game on DVD.

Second memory was the SB 3 weeks later. Didn't fully comprehend the moment at the time, but I'll never forget when, where and who I was with.

By far, the most fond memory of the redskins in my childhood was watching every away game of the 91-92 season when i was 11. My dad's friend had season tickets, and when the skins were away would invite us over, and he had gotten one of those light up schedules you used to see at liquor stores, and I vividly remember after every game, checking off in the win column. What a great feeling at the end of the season when there were only two checks in the loss column!

To think that there's a whole generation of kids who haven't been able to experience something like that or any of those previous superbowls is damn shame.

Guest Spearfeather

1982 (83) Championship game. I still had a lot of frustration lingering from the 1979 season closer against Dallas when Staubach threw two TD's in the last 5:00 and kept us out of the playoffs at 10 - 6. Watched both games with my father, who I usually only saw on the weekends. So the Championship game was like redemption.

all my Skins memories as a kid were awesome.

Beat the Dolphins in SB when i was 9

Beat the Broncos in SB when i was 14

Beat the Bills in SB when i was 18 and in 1st year of college.

lost to Dolphins just 3 months before i was born (but I was still alive, only unborn)

lost to Raiders when i was 10

so in the 1st 18 years of my life (including mom's pregnancy) my Redskins were in 5 Superbowls, winning 3. In the last 17 years of my life, NOTHING :(

1982 (83) Championship game. I still had a lot of frustration lingering from the 1979 season closer against Dallas when Staubach threw two TD's in the last 5:00 and kept us out of the playoffs at 10 - 6. Watched both games with my father, who I usually only saw on the weekends. So the Championship game was like redemption.
Oh so true. I call it the changing of the guard moment. All time favorite SI cover, even more than the Super Bowls because of the picture and what it said, Wham! Bam! It's the Redskins. I miss the 80's!

Cowboys on the way down and Redskins on the way up. It was our time in the 80's early 90's then the Pukes came back...hey aren't we due?

Mine would have to be going to Redskins training camp in 92 or 93, I was 7 years old then. I got the whole team to sign a poster. It was the coolest thing ever for a little kid haha! My favorite game would have to be the last one at RFK. That place was going crazy and it was awesome to beat the Cowboys there for the last game.

The NFC Championship game wins vs. Dallass. They have still never beaten us when it counted.

The WaPo synopsis of the 1972 game for the whippersnappers:

Dec. 31, 1972

NFC Championship Game at RFK Stadium

W, 26-3

"Just remember this. Forty men together can't lose." Those words, delivered by Redskins' coach George Allen before the 1972 NFC Championship game, provided the necessary inspiration to lead the Redskins into their first Super Bowl appearance and their first taste of glory since the 1940s. It took the Cowboys 24 minutes to record a first down on a day that belonged to the Redskins, although the game was still much in doubt entering the fourth quarter. Nursing a 10-3 lead, quarterback Billy Kilmer hit Hall-of-Fame receiver Charley Taylor with a memorable 45-yard touchdown strike on the period's first play that drew the curtains on the Cowboys and sealed a win that ended with Allen being carried off the field as the Redskins won their first championship of any kind in 30 years.

Seeing "America's Team" eat it and George get carried off the field is something I will treasure forever. That we lost to the 'fins in the Super Bowl takes some of the shine away but beating Dallass to go to the Super Bowl has a sweetness of its own.

The 1983 game was the RFK Rocks game, that scene is an NFL legend. Again from the WaPo:

Jan. 22, 1983

NFC Championship Game at RFK Stadium

W, 31-17

In what is arguably the greatest contest in the long and storied history of the Washington Redskins, a host of heroes propel the Redskins into Super Bowl XVII. Indelible images were burned into team history that frigid afternoon, from the rabid chants of "We Want Dallas" that literally shook RFK Stadium to its core to the violent collision precipitated by Dexter Manley that sent Cowboys' quarterback Danny White to the showers to mountainous defensive tackle Daryl Grant's interception of a Gary Hogeboom pass tipped by Manley to score the decisive points. John Riggins pulverized Dallas for 140 yards and two touchdowns on 36 carries to lead the Redskins to a sizzling and memorable triumph.

Dexter's knockout of White is one of the greatest moments in sports history in my mind and not far in terms of sheer human accomplishment from putting a man on the moon. That we won the Super Bowl adds to the magic: Dallass denied, Lombardi hoisted in DC. I love the smell of torched rival in the morning.

Sitting on the couch with my dad watching the redskins win the superbowl game in 1991/92 when all my siblings and friends were playing outside!!! I knew I loved football then.

In addition meeting all the cheerleaders and players for the first time at age 8. I will never forget those experiences!

In 1975, at the age of 9, I was dining with my family at the Dulles Marriott restaurant. We were seated by the window looking out at the entrance to the hotel and I spotted George Allen walking in. I shouted out that I spotted him, but no one believed me. Then he walked into the restaurant (and my smart alec Dad said "by George it IS George!"). We were all excited and kept talking about him as he schmoozed with some other tables. Unbeknownst to us there was this very large man sitting at a table near to us who heard everything we said. Well, George came over and sat down with this man. We kept snatching sly glances over at him and after hearing the man say something to him, George looked over at us and waved us to come over, which we did. He talked to us and introduced us to the man, someone who'd just flown in from Saint Louis that day to join the team; his name, Dave Butz. We got both of their autographs, although we didn't know Butz from Adam. Looking back, it's so cool not only that we got to meet GA, but also to have met Butz on his very first day as a Skin!

Catching a football when kickers were warming up before a preseason game against the Jets sometime in the 90's at RFK. I have no clue how old I was but I remember we were sitting in the lower section behind the endzone and the ball bounced off of my mom's head and into my hands! A very large man in a pink polo shirt immediately stole the ball from me :mad: and returned it to the field.

Archived