Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your best Redskin childhood memory...

RedskinNutt

My fondest memory is when the Skins lost to the Dolphins in the SB - before that I had been cheering for the team whose unis I liked best. In that particular game I happened to like the Dolphins' unis better (why I still don't understand).

After the loss, and seeing how it affected my Dad, the other kids in school, the neighbors and just about everyone in the area, I GOT IT - and I've been a fan ever since.

Great story :applause: , I gotta chill reading it. Then again, it could be this jacked up A/C in this building.....I like how you GOT IT. Thatz what it's all about.

Sitting on the couch with my dad watching the redskins win the superbowl game in 1991/92 when all my siblings and friends were playing outside!!! I knew I loved football then.

My nieces were like that and would rather watch the Redskin games than play with their friends. All their friends would be outside and they'd be in watching the Skins. :applause: If my wife and I have have a daughter this next time I can only hope she is like that too.

Started going to games around 1966, riding the DC-T (that's the DC Transit, precursor to the Metro for you yungins) from Friendship Heights to RFK. When the Skins were out of town, we used to go to the Washington Coliseum (the old Uline Arena) to watch the game on closed-circuit TV (this might have started in the late '60's). Saw some home games there, too. Very few (if any) games were carried on regular TV.

Greatest memory: 1974 Redskins vs. Dolphins. Week 5 - Sonny comes off the bench to pass for 303 yards 2 scores and a 20-17 win.

You saw what Tiger Woods did at the Open on 1 leg. That was nothing compared to the pain Sonny endured that day. A battered and bruised Sonny (sacked 4 times and knocked down on almost every pass he attempted) had 3 interceptions on the day. But he completed 26-39 passes. All while playing on a leg he could barely stand on. Teammates picking him off the ground after every pass and Sonny dragging that leg back to the huddle each time.

You could see him drawing up plays in the dirt while he was in the huddle. Then it was back under center, single-bar facemask, no chinstrap, belly protruding over his belt, sizing up the defense and throwing darts to his receivers.

Incredible performance by a great, great player.

Sadly, 1974 would be the end of the line for Sonny. At 40 years of age (yes, that's right, 40 years old), his body had taken all of the pounding he could handle. His poor performance in the postseason that year (3 int's) in the 19-10 loss to the Rams, pretty much sealed his fate.

But that October day in RFK was one of the greatest, gutsiest performances I've ever seen.

One last fond memory: Pat Fischer, 5'9" 150 pounds with a heart twice that size. Fearsome and an incredible tackler. Would take on anyone, one on one, and win most of the battles (both defending the pass and taking down the runner). A truly remarkable player who should seriously be considered for the HOF (btw...at one time, he had played more games at cornerback than anyone in NFL history with 213 games).

I was born in the early 1970s, so I remember the first Gibbs era fondly. My favorite childhood memory would have to be seeing Riggins scoring that TD in Super Bowl XVII.

A close second would be Darrell Green hurdling for a punt return TD against the Bears in the 1987 playoffs.

My grandfather used to sneak me sips of those little pony cans of budweiser when he took me with him to the american legion (they lived in pa) when i was like 3-5yo.

Well my first Redskins game at the age of 5, i was with my father and my grandfather... and the first time the beer man came around, i stood up and said "I'll take one" the vendor looked at my grandfather and father and said "does he have id" almost laughing. You should of seen the look on my fathers face, i then said "pap pap(thats what we called him) gives me beer all the time"

Everyone in our section busted out laughing :laugh:

i have three, watching 4th and 1 in the super bowl and watching Riggo run over the dolphins DB on my black and white television in my room. I was suppose to be asleep but snuck it on and got busted yelling during the run. lol

Meeting Chris Hanburger at the local McDonalds when I was like 6 years old.

Meeting Darrell Green at my high school right after the Super Bowl win against the Broncos. He was there for a christian outreach program for athletes.

now once I was grown the best memory was during the Super Bowl where we beat the Bills. I had bet a good friend of mine that which ever team lost, the fan of that team would have to streak around our apartment complex and yell at the top of their lungs that the other team was the best. Seeing as how WE won, I got to witness him running buck nekid around our complex ( it was a Very Big complex) screaming that the "Redskins Rule". To add insult to injury, I quickly jumped in my car and followed behind him with highbeams on and honking the horn. THANK GOD WE WON. lol

Yes, I got in trouble as a kid trying to get those fireman/police cards. We were at a field trip at McDonald's one day and I saw a police officer out in the parking lot. I ran out there without notifying my teacher and she came out and took the cards away from me. Man was I embarrassed and was I upset that I didn't complete my collection that day. I was able to get those cards later.

I think my biggest memory was when Daryl Grant intercepted Gary Hogeboom's pass and ran it in. That was my biggest memory of course followed by the Riggins Touchdown in the Super Bowl. That was pretty huge for me.

The "sports club" in my town used to have an annual dinner party at the local Armory. There were always a couple of Skins there and college players from around the state. Over the past three decades I have many Skins autographs. Sonny J. was the guest speaker at one of the dinners. I got him to autograph a life-size picture I had painted of him and my old yellow Skins helmet. As a child I wore that helmet for every game. Damn I lose sleep thinking about 09/04/08.

Archived