Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Clayton talks about the Skins

darrelgreenie

I like John Clayton. He's generally got his facts straight. This wasn't news to us, but I doubt a whole lot of people nationally would know 1) who the 'Skins drafted and 2) what it means. For example, I couldn't tell you who Tennessee drafted in the second round and what it means for them. I pick them because they are comparable to the 'Skins in that they were the 6th seed in the playoffs for the AFC, so one would assume they have about the same number of holes to fill...

The thing about Clayton is he is objective he is not a former player so he doesn't put his little bias spin on it like aikman and other former players turned studio heads.

Clayton is objective, agree. But it's more to do with him than not being a player. Case in point Pastabelly. As for Aikman, I love it when he covers a Skins game. He is extremely objective and it is obvious to me, the guy relly does his homework prior to the game.

I agree, Aikman is probably one of the more unbiased former player media heads in the indutry right and actually has his own formed opinions that doesn't really go with the trend. He points out things as he sees them, and will often being up strengths of teams when everyone is talking about how crappy they are. I usually hear this dynamic between Buck and Aikman (in between the *** kissing from Buck to Troy of course :silly: ).

Plus, Aikman said that Portis is his favorite player in the NFL!

That's right.. Correction.. Aikman heeped praise on Portis.. good call..

I have always like John Clayton....sure he looks like a nerd, but he often is very informative. Some of you folks need to stop being so thin-skinned, and accept the fact that the national media is going to dis-respect our Skins until the Skins can step it up to the next level....such as reaching NFC Championship games, and such.

So why do they swing from the Cowboys' sack so much? They haven't been to an NFC Championship game since the mid 90s.

Agreed, and good point. Despite being a former Dallas Cowboy, I have never heard Aikman bash the Skins in any way. During TV broadcasts, you can tell that he respects the Skins ability to compete with Dallas in recent years despite the fact that the media ranks Dallas as the superior team on paper.

Troy Aikman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Moose Johnston. I won't listen to that idiot ever again. He still refers to the Cowboys as "we." Very professional, just like his name.

Clayton is objective, agree. But it's more to do with him than not being a player. Case in point Pastabelly. As for Aikman, I love it when he covers a Skins game. He is extremely objective and it is obvious to me, the guy relly does his homework prior to the game.

Exactly...I mean correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Aikman picked the Skins when we've played cowgirls?

I actually met Aikman once...he used to live near my parents and I was walking my dog and he came jogging up...of course i just so happened to be wearing a skins hat...he smiled and said that he liked the way the skins looked that paticular year...i told him i always loved him and buck doing skins games and to keep up the good work

Even though he's a ex-cowgirl he's a really nice guy

Not much of a blocker I'm afraid. He's basically a big WR playing TE.

But he can work on his blocking this offseason.

NFL.com on Fred Davis:

Has worked hard to improve his blocking technique, but is better as a cut blocker than when operating in-line...Used to be late coming off the snap, but he made a pad adjustment as a senior and now sinks his weight better, showing the burst out of his cuts to separate after the catch...Comes off the line with steady acceleration, but is best vs. the veer release...Has the quickness and body control getting off the line of scrimmage to surprise a second-level defender, and demonstrates the loose hips to adjust and work to get open...Has become a better short-area blocker than he was in the past and shows good delay moves getting into his underneath routes, executing with quick head and shoulder moves to escape and elude past the line of scrimmage...

-He can only get better at blocking right? Either way I can't wait to see how Zorn utilizes Davis. He is definitely in the new TE mold that the league is becoming accustomed to. The double TE sets with Cooley should create favorable matchups for us. I'm sure JC won't have any problem with going to either one as a check down in those sets.

NFL.com on Fred Davis:

Has worked hard to improve his blocking technique, but is better as a cut blocker than when operating in-line...Used to be late coming off the snap, but he made a pad adjustment as a senior and now sinks his weight better, showing the burst out of his cuts to separate after the catch...Comes off the line with steady acceleration, but is best vs. the veer release...Has the quickness and body control getting off the line of scrimmage to surprise a second-level defender, and demonstrates the loose hips to adjust and work to get open...Has become a better short-area blocker than he was in the past and shows good delay moves getting into his underneath routes, executing with quick head and shoulder moves to escape and elude past the line of scrimmage...

-He can only get better at blocking right? Either way I can't wait to see how Zorn utilizes Davis. He is definitely in the new TE mold that the league is becoming accustomed to. The double TE sets with Cooley should create favorable matchups for us. I'm sure JC won't have any problem with going to either one as a check down in those sets.

I'm soooooooooo glad you posted this. I was looking for something like this because I just knew I had read something similar to it before. Thanks.

NFL.com on Fred Davis:

Guys working on their weaknesses? Thats great to see! Thanks for posting!:applause:

Why do people hate on Aikman, the guy has always praised the redskins and Joe Gibbs... I watch every single Skins game and I have NEVER heard Aikman say anything biased or even very negative about the skins.. in fact Joe Buck once said that Portis was the best RB in the NFL.. anybody who is biased against the skins would never let that pass..

I don't know why people hate on Aikman either. The dude knows his football and him and Buck are easily the best commentating duo in the NFL right now.

So why do they swing from the Cowboys' sack so much? They haven't been to an NFC Championship game since the mid 90s.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

They haven't been to a championship game since the Mid 90's and haven't won a playoff game in a decade.

I like John Clayton, he usually just reports NFL news and doesn't spin too much, kind of like Adam Shefter who I really like. In respons to the guy who hated on Aikmen, I will add like to others response reminding how Aikmen said Clinton Portis was his favorite runningback in the league.

I can't wait to see the new offense. I hope all this talk about 2 TE sets isn't just lip service.

I would love to see the Redskins use some Single Back ,2 TE, 2 WR like the Colts run.

:cheers:

Yeah, I was thinking and hoping about the similarity potential to the colts

..thinking that they were gonna praise us, but they tell us stuff we already know
The crypt keeper telling Redskins fans nothing new...who would have guessed...so why is he called the professor again?

Sure, stuff he reports might not be news to you. But remember, ESPN is a national broadcast, so he's reporting to a much wider audience than die hard Redskins fans.

Yeah, I was thinking and hoping about the similarity potential to the colts
Agree. Let Jason run the show, with direction. Meaning, like the Colts, coach sends in a formation and play, but give Jason the option to audible to a run (or pass) on any given play based on what he sees.

I agree, Aikman is probably one of the more unbiased former player media heads in the indutry right and actually has his own formed opinions that doesn't really go with the trend. He points out things as he sees them, and will often being up strengths of teams when everyone is talking about how crappy they are. I usually hear this dynamic between Buck and Aikman (in between the *** kissing from Buck to Troy of course :silly: ).

I like listening to Aikman, he knows the game and doesn't go over board critizing players. I remembering him speaking very highly of Jason Campbell during the Green Bay game and resisting the urge to bang on our receivers too much (although they deserved it during that game).

:cheers:

I would love to see two tight ends set with Davis and Cooley I think we will see more multiple reciever sets. Portis is so multi-faceted I really think he is going to have another good year.

Ditto...

I think we'll finally have an answer for that dreaded Cover 2 defense or the Tampa 2 as Monte Kiffin's defense is so famously named.

With those two threats at tight end, we can wear out the deep middle to intermediate area of the field and force some one-on-one match up's with the WR's. This will keep the defense honest and magnify our offensive weapons.

Can't wait to see this in preseason to see how well we match up. Certainly reason to be at least slightly optomistic about the '08 season as long as the guys stay healthy.:2cents:

I respect Clayton and tend to accept what he says at face value, that being that the best information out there is as he reports it. He doesn't try to cast himself as an analyst and restricts his reporting to what he's been told or what he reasonably concludes based upon what he's been told.

That said, this isn't really news and hasn't been since draft day.

Archived