Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Two Obamas

Zguy28

The Two Obamas

By DAVID BROOKS

Published: June 20, 2008

From the New York Times Opinion Section

God, Republicans are saps. They think that they’re running against some academic liberal who wouldn’t wear flag pins on his lapel, whose wife isn’t proud of America and who went to some liberationist church where the pastor damned his own country. They think they’re running against some naïve university-town dreamer, the second coming of Adlai Stevenson.

But as recent weeks have made clear, Barack Obama is the most split-personality politician in the country today. On the one hand, there is Dr. Barack, the high-minded, Niebuhr-quoting speechifier who spent this past winter thrilling the Scarlett Johansson set and feeling the fierce urgency of now. But then on the other side, there’s Fast Eddie Obama, the promise-breaking, tough-minded Chicago pol who’d throw you under the truck for votes.

This guy is the whole Chicago package: an idealistic, lakefront liberal fronting a sharp-elbowed machine operator. He’s the only politician of our lifetime who is underestimated because he’s too intelligent. He speaks so calmly and polysyllabically that people fail to appreciate the Machiavellian ambition inside.

But he’s been giving us an education, for anybody who cares to pay attention. Just try to imagine Mister Rogers playing the agent Ari in “Entourage” and it all falls into place.

Back when he was in the Illinois State Senate, Dr. Barack could have taken positions on politically uncomfortable issues. But Fast Eddie Obama voted “present” nearly 130 times. From time to time, he threw his voting power under the truck.

Dr. Barack said he could no more disown the Rev. Jeremiah Wright than disown his own grandmother. Then the political costs of Rev. Wright escalated and Fast Eddie Obama threw Wright under the truck.

Dr. Barack could have been a workhorse senator. But primary candidates don’t do tough votes, so Fast Eddie Obama threw the workhorse duties under the truck.

Dr. Barack could have changed the way presidential campaigning works. John McCain offered to have a series of extended town-hall meetings around the country. But favored candidates don’t go in for unscripted free-range conversations. Fast Eddie Obama threw the new-politics mantra under the truck.

And then on Thursday, Fast Eddie Obama had his finest hour. Barack Obama has worked on political reform more than any other issue. He aspires to be to political reform what Bono is to fighting disease in Africa. He’s spent much of his career talking about how much he believes in public financing. In January 2007, he told Larry King that the public-financing system works. In February 2007, he challenged Republicans to limit their spending and vowed to do so along with them if he were the nominee. In February 2008, he said he would aggressively pursue spending limits. He answered a Midwest Democracy Network questionnaire by reminding everyone that he has been a longtime advocate of the public-financing system.

But Thursday, at the first breath of political inconvenience, Fast Eddie Obama threw public financing under the truck. In so doing, he probably dealt a death-blow to the cause of campaign-finance reform. And the only thing that changed between Thursday and when he lauded the system is that Obama’s got more money now.

And Fast Eddie Obama didn’t just sell out the primary cause of his life. He did it with style. He did it with a video so risibly insincere that somewhere down in the shadow world, Lee A****er is gaping and applauding. Obama blamed the (so far marginal) Republican 527s. He claimed that private donations are really public financing. He made a cut-throat political calculation seem like Mother Teresa’s final steps to sainthood.

Rest of article at link...

I guess when Obama flip-flops over whether he should put himself at an economic disadvantage it makes him a split personality, but when McCain flip flops on tax cuts, torture, and now off shore drilling, it means he's..... I don't know what?

Double standard?

Hypocrit? Hypocrisy abounds on both candidates it seems.

TSF, just so you know, I ain't voting for John "the 100 years war" McCain. :2cents:

Whats sad is that the two guys running now are the best of the best in terms of character. BOTH are very good people that really believe what they are saying.

They both TRULEY believe that they know what is best for the country, and they actually get along (Or at least did).

The challenge is both feel so strongly that they are the best person for the job, that they feel the most important thing is to get elected. After all, the best ideas in the world mean nothing if you can't do anything with them.

So both are now forced to do whatever it takes to get elected. They justify it by saying "It's for the greater good" and "the Ends justify the means".

These aren't two guys going for power, they are two guys that would give their life for the country and the people in the country and want to help. Unfortunately, we don't really listen forcing both candidates to do what ever it takes to make a good sound bit and get people to either vote for them, or vote against the other guy.

So both are now forced to do whatever it takes to get elected. They justify it by saying "It's for the greater good" and "the Ends justify the means".
And that my friend is a very dangerous mentality to have as we have seen over the last 6 years or so. :(

Hypocrit? Hypocrisy abounds on both candidates it seems.

TSF, just so you know, I ain't voting for John "the 100 years war" McCain. :2cents:

Not throwing the gauntlet at you Z, but just throwing it at the author. Hypocrite is pretty strong, but yea....

and as I said in another thread, Obama deserves to be called a flip flopper for this. I just think if I had to pick which issues I wanted my president to flip flop on, I'd pick this one over some of the others.

and as I said in another thread, Obama deserves to be called a flip flopper for this. I just think if I had to pick which issues I wanted my president to flip flop on, I'd pick this one over some of the others.

Really? Campaign finance?

This is one issue where I may be labeled as "liberal" on, because it is the root of evil in our whole political system

This is one area where I expect the most out of these 2 particular candidates, and clearly we did not get it

Whats sad is that the two guys running now are the best of the best in terms of character. BOTH are very good people that really believe what they are saying.

They both TRULEY believe that they know what is best for the country, and they actually get along (Or at least did).

The challenge is both feel so strongly that they are the best person for the job, that they feel the most important thing is to get elected. After all, the best ideas in the world mean nothing if you can't do anything with them.

These aren't two guys going for power, they are two guys that would give their life for the country and the people in the country and want to help. Unfortunately, we don't really listen forcing both candidates to do what ever it takes to make a good sound bit and get people to either vote for them, or vote against the other guy.

They don't trust the American people to look at the facts and make the proper decision so they feel they must play the game to get elected.

With some of the decisions we've made lately (in terms of elections and the general amount of savings in this country and other things), I can't say I blame them.

I guess when Obama flip-flops over whether he should put himself at an economic disadvantage it makes him a split personality, but when McCain flip flops on tax cuts, torture, and now off shore drilling, it means he's..... I don't know what?

Double standard?

Yeah, nobody has ever mentioned that McCain flip flops on those things.(Although a google search does include over 333,000 results..I imagine a couple of them are mainstream sources).

But I thought this thread was about Obama. Do you have any thoughts on that? Or is it a "but look at McCain" thread?

They don't trust the American people to look at the facts and make the proper decision so they feel they must play the game to get elected.

With some of the decisions we've made lately (in terms of elections and the general amount of savings in this country and other things), I can't say I blame them.

Well -Your sorrta right.

They do two campigns at once. They know that the American public is split. Maybe 20/80.

20% of the people want to hear issues, details, plans. So they do discuss them, post it on the web, release press releases and details, etc...

80% are going to vote based on soundbites, short articles, general "Feeling", etc... 80% of the people that will vote never heard the candidate give a entire speech, probably never read any of their actually policy papers, but will be voting. So they know they have to reach them.

Well -Your sorrta right.

They do two campigns at once. They know that the American public is split. Maybe 20/80.

20% of the people want to hear issues, details, plans. So they do discuss them, post it on the web, release press releases and details, etc...

80% are going to vote based on soundbites, short articles, general "Feeling", etc... 80% of the people that will vote never heard the candidate give a entire speech, probably never read any of their actually policy papers, but will be voting. So they know they have to reach them.

Which is why Obama's new tv ad is such a master stroke. That was one great ad. :2cents:

Heyyyyyy, another Obama thread!

Though I like what this one actually has to say, though. Should be required reading for all Obama-ites.

Double standard?

I love how we can't discuss him without you dragging the other side of the aisle into this. Is it possible for you to discuss the bad side of the liberal democrats without pointing fingers at the other side? This post has nothing to do with McCain (who I really don't care for, either).

Really? Campaign finance?

This is one issue where I may be labeled as "liberal" on, because it is the root of evil in our whole political system

This is one area where I expect the most out of these 2 particular candidates, and clearly we did not get it

Well, McCain has flip-flopped on the issue of campaign finance reform as well.

Heyyyyyy, another Obama thread!

Though I like what this one actually has to say, though. Should be required reading for all Obama-ites.

I love how we can't discuss him without you dragging the other side of the aisle into this. Is it possible for you to discuss the bad side of the liberal democrats without pointing fingers at the other side? This post has nothing to do with McCain (who I really don't care for, either).

Spiff, that article is not a discussion, its a drive by.

Also, I've said that it was a flip flop. What else do you want.

Of course that article was a drive by. It is an editorial and a lot of them are that. This thread is the discussion.

I agree 100%. And I think its fair to point out that if one flip flop makes you a "split personality,' well... I've already said it.

If we want to discuss why this flip flop was done, I think its obvious. It had to be done. Looking back at 2004, republicans exploited the 527 loop hole to campaign public financing very well and came up with the swift boat crap. Now, you have Obama being smeared from an early point in the general election campaign based on untruths. If he wants to defend himself from what will be his own "swift boating" he needs the money to do it.

Is it a flip-flop, yes. Is it a smart move politically, yes. Do people care more about flip flopping on this issue compared to tax cuts, the environment, torture, etc etc... I, personally, don't think so. But I suppose if you are a McCain supporter you will have a different opinion on that. And in November, I guess we'll see what the general public thinks.

Well, McCain has flip-flopped on the issue of campaign finance reform as well.

I guess you didn't see my last line?

And why are we doing the "well he did it so can we" argument that libs railed against for the last 7 years

I simply cannot see why people are NOT appalled by this, the root of the broken political system we have now IS how our campaigns are financed

I'm inclined to think Obama will be a fairly decent President as long as he stays true to his beliefs and can surround himself with some top notch advisers.

I think his position is much larger then him and any "liberal" tendencies he may have. He'll be fairly moderate in policy execution but bring a few new tactics to the table. As long as we don't go nuts with nationalizing everything, creating more entitlement debt we will be headed in the right direction. I'm not quite there as far as considering voting for him but have resigned myself to the fact that he's going to be our next President. So I'm thinking as optimistically as I can.

I guess you didn't see my last line?

And why are we doing the "well he did it so can we" argument that libs railed against for the last 7 years

I simply cannot see why people are NOT appalled by this, the root of the broken political system we have no IS how our campaigns are financed

I think my last post goes to that.

I understand that its a flip flop.

I do think its unfair to look at this in a vacuum though. And I think its sorta unfair to say one guy is appalling or a split personality, while the other guy is just fine.

And to me, its not as big an issue as the others I brought up.

But, like I've said many times now, its a flip flop. And I'm sure other people will think its appalling, and I agree you are justified in that. I, personally, don't think its that important an issue because it was done out of necessity created by loopholes in the campaign finance reform bills.

Archived