Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Is it true that german cars are significantly more expensive to maintain than american or japanese cars? Or is this either a) something that used to be true, but isn't really anymore; or b ) just a filthy lie concocted by the UAW and/or the Illuminati?

In general yes. And they aren't exactly super reliable either.

Oh, zoony. Re: Amsoil. I'm familiar with the brand but not really the quality of product. In general, any full synthetic will perform better at the extremes when compared with a non-synthetic or semi-synthetic. There isn't really much different between a non synth and a semi synth actually.

Edited by Springfield

Ok, background.

2000 F-150. Rather low mileage, since I really haven't driven it much since taking care of mom. It going to be doing some towing, and I've taken the thread's advice to get a receiver, rather than just using the bumper hitch. (Receiver is on order, from WalMart.com. They shipped me the wrong one, and are supposedly shipping the right one Real Soon Now).

In anticipation of the receiver's Monday arrival, I lowered the spare tire for the first time ever.

The spare tire has four pairs of, like, grooves worn in the sidewall. These grooves correspond to four pairs of, let's call them frame elements which connect the two main frame beams to the underside of the bed.

These grooves are maybe 1/2-3/4 inch deep, in the sidewall of the spare tire. Spare still has fully intact tread (never used), and still seems fully inflated.

Do I need a new spare?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having an issue I get my my head around, so I figured I'd pop in here and ask.

Someone was driving her and she dies. I swap a battery, assume alt and drive it home. I put a new Battery in, doesn't seem to be charging. New Alt, Battery, Solenoid, wiring. According to my tester, I have power everywhere.

Lights won't even come on. Nothing. Tried jumping the ignition switch, but despite having power in the wires, nothing.

I'm having an issue I get my my head around, so I figured I'd pop in here and ask.

Someone was driving her and she dies. I swap a battery, assume alt and drive it home. I put a new Battery in, doesn't seem to be charging. New Alt, Battery, Solenoid, wiring. According to my tester, I have power everywhere.

Lights won't even come on. Nothing. Tried jumping the ignition switch, but despite having power in the wires, nothing.

I owned a car like that in high school.  The key actually melted into the ignition at one point.

I finally figured out what the problem was after lots of work chasing down the electrical problems.  It was a piece of ****.

• Like 1

did you turn the key clockwise? :)

joking aside, that's an odd one - how's ignition switch and starter connection?

Ignition is getting hots on the right wires. Does nothing, even when jumped. If I hot the starter directly, it spins.

I'm assuming it's a bad ground somewhere, but I can't think of where.

Not sure if this requires a "mechanic" but it's car related.

Replacing the stereo receiver in a 2007 Honda Pilot. Is the wiring in most head unit receivers universal nowadays? Should be just plug and chug, right?

You'll need to buy a harness for your make and model and wire it to the radio

based on this response, is it better to buy from crutchfield as they will include that stuff?

Crutchfield is a great resource but their prices seemed a bit higher than others when I was into that kinda thing like 10 years ago. They should have all the stuff you need though and they are reliable.

I haven't bothered with the aftermarket radio thing for a long while (CD's were still the preferred method of music transmission), but I think great prices can be had from Amazon.

You can always look up the proper part numbers for what you want and then search those numbers on Amazon or google. See if the price difference is worth the piece of mind.

I haven't bothered with the aftermarket radio thing for a long while (CD's were still the preferred method of music transmission), but I think great prices can be had from Amazon.

You can always look up the proper part numbers for what you want and then search those numbers on Amazon or google. See if the price difference is worth the piece of mind.

can you check my post?

KB

when the switch is in the crank position are you getting power on the small wire at the solenoid?

or have you tried jumping to it?

you know what? I'm not. You thinking ignition switch?

It all started when the alternator went (i assume, New battery ran home fine). Looked like the new one wasn't charging, so I put another in and same thing. Then randomly, everything was gone.

I've been waiting to get a wiring schematic, so I can put it all on switches. Column is busted. Ignition switch just hangs and I start it like that.

I picked up a nice trooper today, so the bronco isn't urgent now.

you have checked the smaller wire from the battery to the alternator I suppose?

the switch certainly seems likely, if it is hanging out just hotwire it :)

that's what I'll do. I want to put the OD on a switch, since I rarely break 45 and Ford still hasn't figured out a decent overdrive trans. I also want some kills.

If you're talking about the one single wire, that loops out of the harness, that's just the gauge wire.

the smaller wire from the positive side of the battery to the alt for charging and electrical supply sometimes has a fusible link that burns out or the wire itself

the smaller one to the solenoid comes from the ignition switch