Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

handling an ex-employee

matty dread

Got a question for you guys.

Recently an employee of mine was fired for performance related reasons. Since then she has tried on multiple occasions to contact me at work and now she's trying to call me at home.

I want nothing to do with her.

She's one of those people that trouble is never far behind from and she's always caught up in some sort of drama. We had a good working relationship but as I see it once she was fired the relationship is over. I haven't returned any of her calls and she's obviously not understanding that I don't want to talk to her. The last message she left for me she said she just didn't get a chance to say good-bye and I was a good boss and she just wanted to let me know that. I'm concerned she might be looking to use me as a reference and there's no way I could recommend her.

Should I just keep ignoring her calls? Am I wrong here?

EDIT: I should add that I've heard she's having a dispute with my company over her unemployment claim. Again, just another reason I don't want to get caught in the middle.

How does she even have your home number ?

And as far as a reference, all you have to give is when she worked (tenure), job title, and maybe what her starting and finishing salary was.

I would talk to her.

I guess she looked me up. I've since had my number changed to unlisted.

How does she even have your home number ?

You don't have your bosses home number? We need other people's home numbers for disaster recovery purposes, etc.

Anyway I would take her call but I would keep it professional and record it if you can. You don't want to be dragged into something because she tells someone you told her this or that. Be careful.

If you had a good working relationship with her, why is there no way you could recommend her for another job?

What was so bad that she did to get fired and for the company to mess with her unemployment claim?

We had a good professional relationship but I would be reluctant to recommend her to another employer based on her performance and attitude issues. She was a bit of a problem child with many other managers but she got along with me for whatever reason.

Let's just say she misrepresented some company documents.

Confront her once/answer the phone. Explain you appreciate her respect and admiration but contacting you at home is inappropriate. If she would to come out and ask for a reference explain that you would not feel comfortable under the circumstances but wish her luck with future endeavors (sp?)

Be polite but making it clear that would be the last contact between her and yourself

We had a good professional relationship but I would be reluctant to recommend her to another employer based on her performance and attitude issues. She was a bit of a problem child with many other managers but she got along with me for whatever reason.

Let's just say she misrepresented some company documents.

I'd say to be honest with her, tell her what you feel about the situation, and then tell her to stop contacting you. :2cents:

Confront her once/answer the phone. Explain you appreciate her respect and admiration but contacting you at home is inappropriate. If she would to come out and ask for a reference explain that you would not feel comfortable under the circumstances but wish her luck with future endeavors (sp?)

Be polite but making it clear that would be the last contact between her and yourself

Agreed. :applause:

I recommend that you don't call her, but don't avoid her the next time you are able to talk and she calls. Be polite but professional. If she asks for a reference, tell her that company policy is that all employment related calls go through HR (you will need to confirm this, but this is the normal official policy of most companies). Now you have the ground to just state that you can not violate company policy and that she will have to call HR. You can also say that you believe that any further contact at home outside of normal business hours is inappropriate. Be polite, but those statements should clearly put the writing on the wall for her.

:laugh: Something tells me that if she was a hotty, he'd be all about contacting her. :laugh:

No because then she'll be boiling a rabbit on the stove in about six months. I have to rethink what I said earlier.....ignore her.

This exact same thing happened to me.

Phone calls, e-mails, phone calls to the office administrator, trying to rat us out with stupid stuff. Almost stalking me. It sucked.

I ignored him. It took about 3 months, but it finally all stopped.

Whatever you do, don't reply or have any contact with the person.

Archived