Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Marijuana Laws Actually Keep Americans From Toking Up?

Hubbs

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

woooo hooo my favorite subject

anyone got questions send them here lol

NO laws do NOT affect marijuana usage...... they do however affect supply because after a big bust the scene goes dry.

i just walked in sat down loaded the bong with some NYC DIESEL and logged on .... he he he

i dont care who knows i never have and yes i smoke ANYWHERE i want..... with respect to others anyway.....

i would never smoke say ..... at a game.....however if a good band is playing...... im going in high and im gettin high while im there..... i dont drink or do anything else.... a joint to me is like a glass of wine to you.....

the simple fact of the matter is that this drug has been demonized and made illegal for the profiteers of the early 20th century and has only succeeded in incarcerating non violoent offenders of victimless crimes!!!

PS - yes i have do and will smoke a joint walking down the street..... its my life and i dont care what others think ..... and i have no fear of the cops and i have smoked for 22 years while smoking at least 2 joints worth a day for the last 7 -8 years. yes i can and have quit when i have wanted to or needed to.... however it is a part of my life .... and i have been observed in public by the cops smoking and never have i had a word said to me about it.....

you are the coolest, bro

Absolutely they do. Some states just don't enforce them as hard. In say CA, maybe not so much of a deterrent; especially combined with the overall mentality of smoking pot. In some states, hell yea.

As for the gateway drug. MJ is the most used illegal recreational drug. Obviously if you do a study on what drug people use first its going to point to pot. How many people are going to use heroin if they've never tried any drug before? I bet most people's first taste of alcohol was either some beer or wine, opposed to liquor. Pretty much every study done on recreational drug use has MJ as #1. (dangers, crime, etc)

For example, I'd have to find the research, but I think the number of MJ related health emergencies are significantly larger then any other recreational drugs. (prescription problems I believe are #1) I'm pretty sure more people go to the emergency room every year for something pot related then crack, cocaine and heroin combined. But of course, how many people smoke pot and how many people use heroin or smoke crack.

Have you been to Holland? You can step off the plane, without knowing a single person, and it's a buyers market.

So, hypothetically, if you could find an American who knew absolutely no one in his/her own country, then yes, there would be a difference there.

The issue I have with weed is that it's a pathway drug and I think making it legal would limit those jumps to other, worse drugs.

No, it's not, at least not by the common connotations associated with the phrase "pathway/gateway drug." The reason most drug users started out with pot before moving onto crack or LSD is the same reason most beer drinkers start out with PBR or Busch before moving onto rare microbrews - it's cheap, easy, and available.

You want real gateway drugs? Count the pills in mommy and daddy's medicine cabinet.

Pretty much every study done on recreational drug use has MJ as #1. (dangers, crime, etc)

For example, I'd have to find the research, but I think the number of MJ related health emergencies are significantly larger then any other recreational drugs. (prescription problems I believe are #1) I'm pretty sure more people go to the emergency room every year for something pot related then crack, cocaine and heroin combined. But of course, how many people smoke pot and how many people use heroin or smoke crack.

DOUBLE POST..... MY BAD YALL........

Pretty much every study done on recreational drug use has MJ as #1. (dangers, crime, etc)

well first off your first statement is patently wrong...... please do more research. pot has been proven in many recent studies mostly in the uk to be one of the safest mood altering agents on the planet. people dont commit theft and robberies for the aquisition of "the weed" as they do for crack coke and heroin. **** heads are **** heads too, they may be degenerate BEFORE smoking pot.

you can THINK marijuana leads to hiher risk of medical emergencies all you want but the way the system looks at it is if you have pot in your piss it is the culprit regardless of other circumstances.

you my friend are niave to reefer madness and the methods used by henry anslinger and the post modern war on drugs that revived his 1930's methods.

DONT BE SCARED OF WHAT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND..... THIS IS A LEARNING OPPURTUNITY .... TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT!

sorry mooka what i mean to say is not so much that you are wrong.... just tragically misinformed......
WOOOSH! :laugh:

Its cool. My point went completely over your head. I agree with you. I was just pointing out that studies done are skewed due to the larger number of MJ users. I didn't actually mean that MJ is more dangerous then heroin, or had a bigger crime problem then crack. So my point is that a lot of those studies are bunk.

And I understand plenty. Just saw Cypress Hill headline at an all-day festival last Saturday. :pimp:

I don't think the laws do much at all.

I can think of several people off the top of my head that work for banks, own their own businesses, manage businesses, defend people in a court of law, etc...that smoke on occasion.

Personally, I don't, and haven't since I was a kid. Not that I mind or care, just that it isn't for me. But it is easy to find and many people do.

Legalization would change many things. I don't know if it's too late to change it or not though.

Mooka, for the record, I can think of three studies I read about over the past year that concluded the exact opposite of what you said. I know you weren't actually arguing that stance, so I'm not calling you wrong - what I'm saying is that I think you may have only heard of certain studies.

The three I'm thinking of analyzed the dangers of a bunch of substances, from prescriptions to alcohol to caffeine to illegal drugs, and marijuana always came out quite low on the "danger" scale. They weren't all designed the same way and didn't test the exact same things, but one in particular, done in Britain, concluded that alcohol is much, much more dangerous than marijuana. I happen to agree.

Mooka, for the record, I can think of three studies I read about over the past year that concluded the exact opposite of what you said. I know you weren't actually arguing that stance, so I'm not calling you wrong - what I'm saying is that I think you may have only heard of certain studies.

The three I'm thinking of analyzed the dangers of a bunch of substances, from prescriptions to alcohol to caffeine to illegal drugs, and marijuana always came out quite low on the "danger" scale. They weren't all designed the same way and didn't test the exact same things, but one in particular, done in Britain, concluded that alcohol is much, much more dangerous than marijuana. I happen to agree.

Of course, I completely agree and I think many people do as well.

I was just saying certain studies are bunk, like the gateway drug theory, due to the larger amount of pot users. My example with the emergency room visits was just to show how silly some of the studies are, obviously heroin or crack are far more harmful then MJ.

well mooka i guess i wasnt the only one who misunderstood you.....

its all koo we seem to all be in agreement that there is a biased AGAINST marijuana because i think that it would be next to impossible to regulate like cigs or booze...... that equals no tax money from it ........

also if people knew of the positive aspect of it medicinally it hurts the drug companies/cartels ability to pursue their capitalist agenda which is to sell you THEIR drugs not something you can easily grow with miracle grow and a sunny spot ...

so therefore we must conclude that its dangerous........

joeknows, One of the comedians said it a few years back...'Drug dealers don't sell drugs, they offer drugs'.

War on drugs started many years ago, it simply does not work. Let the strong survive and the weak fail. If you don't want drug use in your business do random testing...it's really that simple. If you don't care, than so be it.

Tobacco smokers are certainly less than yesteryear, percentage-wise. Yet they don't get the smoke breaks they used to get all the time.

also if people knew of the positive aspect of it medicinally it hurts the drug companies/cartels ability to pursue their capitalist agenda which is to sell you THEIR drugs not something you can easily grow with miracle grow and a sunny spot ...

so therefore we must conclude that its dangerous........

I really, really am clueless as to how the government and the FDA can legitimately list marijuana as a schedule 1 drug. Its ridiculous.

And we could easily control the THC content in hemp and produce it commercially.

Certainly alcohol is more dangerous. I think many would be hard pressed to disagree with that one.

I am of the stance that if alcohol and tobacco are legal...MJ should be too.

Same. I think the bar for how dangerous a substance must be before the government can step in has been set, and marijuana is significantly below that bar.

I really, really am clueless as to how the government and the FDA can legitimately list marijuana as a schedule 1 drug. Its ridiculous.

And we could easily control the THC content in hemp and produce it commercially.

Don't get me started. This country is quite literally pissing money down the drain with its stance on marijuana.

well for starters i think that the question isnt how they can dupe us the way they have .....but more of how did they do it.... i will answer that in a second but first i want to say that if they can do it as an organized effort to misinform us about a plant....... how can ANYONE.... say that the govt cant pull off a kennedy assassination or an unjustified war much less fly planes into buildings....

but how did they do it

google/ wiki / search whatever the following terms

reefer madness.....

anslinger war against marijuana

industrial uses of hemp....

to sum it up for ya they used propaganda to demonize the drug..... they wanted it grown in ww1 but afterwards with the influx of mexicans into the country....due to negative sentiment by yankees toward them ..... it was easy to start the manipulations...... it took something like 10 years to achieve an agenda by a very dedicated hard working man..... then couple that with the fact that the sitting mooney in washington at the time was invested in cotton and chemicals like dupont.... that the green alternative to these things had always been inhibited by the lack of its own version of the cotton gin.....

weeks prior to the marijuana taxation act of 1938 a patent had been applied for to solve this industrial problem.... problem? ..... yup..... industrialiazation would have created R&D and i dont have time to list the things we can do with hemp...... but anything made now..... almost anything..... can be made from this simple plant.... once again capitalism uses the govt to protect its longe held investments.....

I think the laws regarding marijuana are archaic and have little impact on much of anything except sending huge sums of money to law enforcement at the federal, state and local levels.

I think California is ahead of the curve a bit in this regard. For example, you do not have to admit to a misdemeanor drug offense involving marijuana after a certain period of time. It needs to be decriminalized, and the focus should solely be on the destructive drugs - meth, crack etc... and even in that regard the laws should not be punitive in nature with some exceptions.

This is one thing I really do not like about our society currently. We are a society of complete hypocrites.

We have current and former presidents admitting using illegal substances at some point in their life - ditto likely for a large percentage of the congress. Across the board at some point these substances have either directly or indirectly crossed paths with these folks - our advocates and supposed leaders yet it does not seem to bother anyone that these laws are ruining ordinary, hard-working people's lives every day.

I really, really hate how some cast unfavorable judgement of others for likely the very same 'offenses' they themselves have committed or been exposed to at some time in their lives. Why do we continue to allow this nonsense? We also have to stop giving employers absolute power to wield over their employees. There has to be limits.

We have a long ways to go in this regard and sadly I do not see things getting better anytime soon...

Of course they do, I have no idea where to go to get any and wouldn't because of it.

If it was in the Safeway behind the glass along the windows at the front counter i'd probably try it a couple times a year.

Being as i have to put myself into a criminal environment and possibly get in trouble as a single dad.. no thanks. not worth it.

This doesn't help:

Duty Location: Alexandria, Arlington & Falls Church, VA 1 vacancy

Open Period: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Salary Range - $82,961.00 - $107,854.00 Annually

KEY REQUIREMENTS:

U.S. Citizenship Required

Relocation expenses are not authorized

Must pass a pre-employment security investigation and drug screening.

America did not turn into a country of drunks when prohibition was repealed.

Some non smoking folks may try it once in a while, like Thiebear wrote.

But those who don't do it, most likely still won't do it.

I don't know anyone who says they don't smoke because they're afraid of being caught.

No one.

I know plenty of people who don't smoke for a ton of other reasons, mostly health and smoking related.

And I've never ever met a smoker who's habit is affected by a fear of being caught.

Kids might be, but I haven't been one of them in a long time so I don't know anymore. And legalization makes it harder for kids to obtain.

What do you think is easier for a 14 year old to get right now.. weed, or cigarettes?

~Bang

Archived