Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Soccer: US/Argentina & Euro 2008

thehogs

I loved the announcers commenting about that yesterday. "There's the little tap... and Luca rolling like he was shot by a sniper," brilliant stuff. But that all really falls on the referee. If he would just let play go on then we wouldn't see all the bs. But because he stopped play everytime a player was faking on the ground they saw no reason to stop it. I don't blame the players for using it as strategy because it helped them regroup and they were never called out on it in the game.

I think if they are going to stop play for someone and that player has to leave the field, they just have to stay off for a couple minutes. None of this hobbling off then sprinting back on in 2 seconds.

And how about that ref for carding David Villa after he legitimately lost his footing and fell to the ground, then wasn't even appealing to the ref for a call?? Ugh, that ref yesterday was horrible.

I think if they are going to stop play for someone and that player has to leave the field, they just have to stay off for a couple minutes. None of this hobbling off then sprinting back on in 2 seconds.

And how about that ref for carding David Villa after he legitimately lost his footing and fell to the ground, then wasn't even appealing to the ref for a call?? Ugh, that ref yesterday was horrible.

they can only come back on when the ref signals. They can be yellow carded if they come on just as they feel like it.

'legitimately lost his footing'?!!!:laugh: he DIVED:laugh: ! the commentary team on UK TV was laughing at him, it was so pathetic a dive. He needs to work on that big time ;)

they can only come back on when the ref signals. They can be yellow carded if they come on just as they feel like it.

Yea, and they pretty much always are allowed back on field within a few seconds. Maybe they miss the ensuing throw in or "drop ball", but that's about it.

Anyway, I don't blame the players for using this to their advantage, even if I think it's a weak strategy. Just like basketball players will start playing hack a Shaq at the end of a game. Until the refs do something to prevent it, the players will stay down.

well, they range from poor to not bad but not great, yet some how some way those pesky Germans find a way to win:whoknows:

to be fair they didnt play well but still scored 3 goals! heres hoping my office sweep team Russia get through and win it.

On paper, Spain or Russia should have too much for Germany to defend.

somehow im not suprised that the germans did it again...when the round of 8 started i figured it would be germany vs. italy in the finals with the germans winning...of course my dutch blew it as usual so im not a very happy camper but the germans are a great soccer nation and will be well deserved if they win it all.

Unless it's a World War of course. :D

well, playing all the other teams at the same time is hard ;)

cant say I hate on the Germans, always been impressed by them and an astounding record in WC and Euro tournaments. I think certain BBC TV commentators cant help themselves from going in to one cliche after another about German football - 'well organised', 'clinical' blah blah ignoring the fact they have produced some of the worlds best players for years. England on the other hand have won, in the last 40 years, erm...no wait! it will come to me in a moment! erm......:doh:

Germany has some excellent indvidual players but as a team wouldnt rate against previous versions over the years.

well, playing all the other teams at the same time is hard ;)

cant say I hate on the Germans, always been impressed by them and an astounding record in WC and Euro tournaments. I think certain BBC TV commentators cant help themselves from going in to one cliche after another about German football - 'well organised', 'clinical' blah blah ignoring the fact they have produced some of the worlds best players for years. England on the other hand have won, in the last 40 years, erm...no wait! it will come to me in a moment! erm......:doh:

Germany has some excellent indvidual players but as a team wouldnt rate against previous versions over the years.

I agree. The Germans get a bad rap for soccer.

But nothing wrong with a bit of Hun-baiting ... "Two World Wars and One World Cup, Doo Dah, Doo Dah ..."

2nd semifinal game tomorrow. Russia and Spain meet again after Spain destroyed Russia in group play (at least score-wise). Russia has Arshavin back now though and this should be a much better game.

I've given in to the peer pressure and will be leaving work at 2pm to go out and watch the game:cool:

It wasn't so bad when I was listening to the audio only like I was for the Spain - Russia game , but watching people kick a ball around on grass isn't exactly exciting. I could only bear to watch the last 10 minutes , and nothing really happened lol

Hockey is a better fast paced version of soccer :P

It wasn't so bad when I was listening to the audio only like I was for the Spain - Russia game , but watching people kick a ball around on grass isn't exactly exciting. I could only bear to watch the last 10 minutes , and nothing really happened lol

Hockey is a better fast paced version of soccer :P

By far. The hard hitting and fast pace of a hockey game beat the boring sluggish pace of soccer.

Well, as the announcers said, the best team in the tournament won. Pretty good game all around. Germany just couldn't break the Spanish defense. Ramos is just plain something at right back.

Hockey and soccer are different sports and I don't see the comparison.

deserved win :applause:

wonder if they can win the big one in 2 years time?!

Germany tried as hard as they could and had a good spell in the second half but Spain could have scored 2 or 3 more in the last 10 minutes.

Archived