Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whitlock: In The NBA Playoffs, Less Ink Mean More Viewers

StillUnknown

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8187914/In-NBA-playoffs,-less-ink-means-more-viewers

Over the next couple of weeks you'll hear lots of theories about why TV ratings are surging for the NBA playoffs. Of course it helps that large TV markets with storied franchises (Boston and Los Angeles) are still alive and favorites to make the NBA Finals. And, yes, it helps that the league's two most successful franchises over the last five years (San Antonio and Detroit) are competing against the Lakers and the Celtics.

The conference finals are littered with big stars, too. Kobe, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Tony Parker, Ray Allen, Manu Ginobili, Rasheed Wallace and all the rest could make up an all-star team that the rest of the league couldn't beat.

Obviously, there are a lot of factors contributing to the ratings numbers that TNT, ESPN and ABC keep bragging about in nearly daily press releases.

The NBA has been experiencing a resurgence ever since the Suns traded for Shaquille O'Neal, the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol, the Mavericks got hoodwinked into snagging Jason Kidd and the Cavaliers picked up new spare parts for LeBron.

But there's one issue driving improved ratings that likely won't be touched by all the NBA talking heads on TNT and ESPN.

Tattoos. Or rather the lack of tattoos in the conference finals. Part of the reason more people are watching these playoffs is because the average fan isn't constantly repulsed by the appearance of most of the players on the court. Most of the key players left in the playoffs don't look like recent prison parolees.....

click link for rest of article.

thoughts?

Why?

4 of the best franchises in the league in the final 4, with its 2 most storied franchises set to play in the finals, with 3/4 teams winning at least 1 this decade already.... that sounds like a ratings grab to me

has nothing to do with ink or not, what a lazy piece of journalism.

show me evidence that proves ink = less viewers with everything else being equal.

4 of the best franchises in the league in the final 4, with its 2 most storied franchises set to play in the finals, with 3/4 teams winning at least 1 this decade already.... that sounds like a ratings grab to me

show me evidence that proves ink = less viewers with everything else being equal.

exactly, sounded like he was scraping the bottom of the barrel for topics to write about.

I agree with his conclusion, but I also question the means at which it was arrived.

I feel that less ink, and more "wholesome" connotations would/does make the NBA more marketable. However, I also recognize I base this on a "gut" feeling, and have no evidence to really back it up. It'd be nice if Whitlock made a similar declaration concerning his opinion. Instead, he repeatedly seems to state it as fact, when the evidence he presents (none) does not lend itself to such a level of certainty.

I think tats are ugly. I saw Beckham now has a large one on the back of his neck in the England - USA international on Wednesday and my reaction was 'what a dick', but it didn't make me think about changing the channel.

I agree with this. There might be a housewife or two out there who may turn it off because the tats make her uncomfortable, but your average sports fan won't. Nor will anyone tune in simply because the players look cleaner, which is the inference in the article.

I also agree with Mboyd in that tats are extremely played out, and typically WAY overdone.

~Bang

He's right about one thing, tattoos are extremely played-out and most intelligent people have very few, if any.

I'm glad to know that we have a resident expert in what the hell smart people do with their bodies. Except the fact, of course, that he's completely wrong. But that's neither here nor there.

Whitlock wrote this article, but if a white man had insinuated that the players look like "prison parolees" then that person would be called racist, even though there is no racism there. Gotta love double standards. Also have to love ridiculous claims like that.

Whitlock wrote this article, but if a white man had insinuated that the players look like "prison parolees" then that person would be called racist, even though there is no racism there. Gotta love double standards. Also have to love ridiculous claims like that.

I don't know about that. Tats of a certain type make everyone look like excons regardless of skin color.

Funny this should come up, the other day I was watching the Boston-Detroit game with an acquaintance. She said she didn't understand why black people have tattoo's if you can barely see them.

She also mentioned she didn't really like basketball because she felt the players were too thuggish.

Taking these two unrelated comments, I can see how Whitlock might come to this conclusion. My acquaintance certainly sees both tatted up and thuggish as similar in some aspect. I tried defending the players but she didn't buy into it.

I know many of you probably think the number of tattoos doesn't influence viewing habits. You're wrong. Like everything else televised, appearances matter. There's a reason you don't see nude scenes in movies with fat people. Trust me, fat people have sex. It's just no one wants to see it. Not even fat people.
Stunning analysis. :laugh:

Guest sith lord
not sure how whitlock managed to write this article and stop short of talking about race.

He was talking about race.

so he was saying that more people are watching the nba playoffs because the pistons, lakers, celts and spurs don't have many black players?

I think he's trying to say they don't have as many thuggish black players. I know it sounds ludicrous, but I don't think he's that far off base in terms of perception from viewers. I also don't think it's the major reason for increased viewership. Boston and LA are the reason.

Guest sith lord
so he was saying that more people are watching the nba playoffs because the pistons, lakers, celts and spurs don't have many black players?

No, he was saying that one of the reasons the ratings were up was because there wasn't as many players with a bunch of tatoos that looked as if they came from prison. I don't care if he is black, that statement has racist undertones.

There's not to many players with more tatoos than A.I and Lebron, I don't see the ratings being any worst if they were still in the playoffs.

No, he was saying that one of the reasons the ratings were up was because there wasn't as many players with a bunch of tatoos that looked as if they came from prison. I don't care if he is black, that statement has racist undertones.

There's not to many players with more tatoos than A.I and Lebron, I don't see the ratings being any worst if they were still in the playoffs.

i think you're right that he's wrong.

i think if you take what he said and parlay that into racism, you might want to look in the mirror.

Guest sith lord
i think you're right that he's wrong.

i think if you take what he said and parlay that into racism, you might want to look in the mirror.

Are you saying what he said didn't have racist undertones?

Archived