Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whitlock: In The NBA Playoffs, Less Ink Mean More Viewers

StillUnknown

Are you saying what he said didn't have racist undertones?

well, considering that it's still largely black players in the playoffs, i don't think he was being racist. unless you are saying that he doesn't think people are turned off by whiteys w/ tottoos, which would be speculating on his thoughts.

There's not to many players with more tatoos than A.I and Lebron, I don't see the ratings being any worst if they were still in the playoffs.

I do, and it's not because of tattoos. It's because people wouldn't care about watching the playoffs if Denver & Cleveland were in the Finals.

I, personally, don't like tattoos -- especially on a woman. Later on in the article, Whitlock makes some excellent points about tattoos on players, though. To wit:

I know many of you probably think the number of tattoos doesn't influence viewing habits. You're wrong. Like everything else televised, appearances matter. There's a reason you don't see nude scenes in movies with fat people. Trust me, fat people have sex. It's just no one wants to see it. Not even fat people.

No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. You don't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint. You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities.

You just want to watch basketball and feel like you're watching people you can relate to a little bit, people you somewhat respect.

We finally have that again on the NBA's biggest stage, and everyone can see it because the league's substance isn't covered in a barrel of tattoo ink.

David Stern has been arguing that the NBA is the best book. Ever since Ron Artest went into the stands, Stern has been slowly changing the cover of his book. The dress code and the age limit have helped. The midseason trades helped. Garnett's donning of a Celtics jersey really helped. Kobe's maturity and ascension to Jordan's throne has probably been the most important development. Kobe is everything the league wants LeBron James to be.

But don't underestimate how much having a visually pleasing product to look at has benefitted the league at conference finals time.

It's a television show. Pleasant smiles, non-threatening people sell products better than menacing, tattooed brutes.

If I was David Stern, I'd commission Nike and/or Under Armor to create a basketball jersey with long sleeves, all the way down to the wrists. I'd make Iverson wear a turtleneck jersey with sleeves. I'd cover the tats.

Do you think Sports Illustrated would let its swimsuit models cover themselves in tattoos? Models are paid to look good. Athletes are no different from models. Everyone accepts that female basketball players — when possible — are pushed to showcase their feminine beauty.

It also should be added that in a poll that accompanies the article, 49 percent say they don't like tattoos.

Seems pretty off to me - Lebron and Shaq are two of the most popular players in the league (if not the top two) and they both have quite a few tatoos. I think more people are watching because you have two excellent match ups in the conference finals with the potential of the old Lakers/Celtics rivalry being renewed.

David Stern has been arguing that the NBA is the best book. Ever since Ron Artest went into the stands, Stern has been slowly changing the cover of his book. The dress code and the age limit have helped. The midseason trades helped. Garnett's donning of a Celtics jersey really helped. Kobe's maturity and ascension to Jordan's throne has probably been the most important development. Kobe is everything the league wants LeBron James to be.

A guy that alienates teammates (before this season), cheats on his wife, and gets accused of rape? :rolleyes:

Guest sith lord
Seems pretty off to me - Lebron and Shaq are two of the most popular players in the league (if not the top two) and they both have quite a few tatoos. I think more people are watching because you have two excellent match ups in the conference finals with the potential of the old Lakers/Celtics rivalry being renewed.

That's what I'm saying. I already made the point that the ratings would be no worse if A.I and Lebron were still in the playoffs.

That's what I'm saying. I already made the point that the ratings would be no worse if A.I and Lebron were still in the playoffs.

Don't know if I'd go that far - people aren't as interested in their teams, but it has nothing to do with the tatoos.

Guest sith lord
Don't know if I'd go that far - people aren't as interested in their teams, but it has nothing to do with the tatoos.

True, but it's not because they wear tatoos. First it was the cornrolls, then it was the way they dressed, now it's tatoos. When does it end?

No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. You don't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint. You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities.

no one wants to see Delonte West or Larry Hughes because they aren't that good. both of them could be completely free of tattoos and still no one would watch them

I don't know how far off base he is here. I think it matters less to viewers that are in younger generations but just watching a recent Celtics/Cavs game with my Dad he commented on how he didn't understand why Delonte West and Eddie House needed to tattoo themselves up like they were ex cons. I tried to side with the players but my Mom also chimed in that she didn't really like that image and thought those basketball players may be nice guys but on first impression they come across as just thugs. I think a lot of the younger generation has grown up with athletes that have had more and more tattoos (Rodman was on the Bulls when many were growing up and watching Jordan). I could see it having a significant impact on the older generations though. They come from a different era completely.

I'm glad to know that we have a resident expert in what the hell smart people do with their bodies. Except the fact, of course, that he's completely wrong. But that's neither here nor there.

Right or Wrong have no place here, this is ES!!!

He's right about one thing, tattoos are extremely played-out and most intelligent people have very few, if any.

WoW! I have read some ridiculous statements on ES but this one has to take the cake. This is insulting in a number of ways, not the least of which is I have a total of 9 tats. I am in no way a genius but I would like to think I can carry on an intelligent conversation. I would also suggest to mboyd and anyone that agrees with this statement to question your doctor, lawyer, accountant and all of the other "intelligent" folks that you may interact with on a daily basis. :2cents:

Archived