Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raising my children correctly

SB17

Just had to share this: The other day some guests were visiting our home and we were talking about the Redskins magnet on the back of our minivan (the one that looks like this ===> :logo: ). One of the guests (a missionary for our church from Tyler, Texas, and a 'pukes fan), asked in jest something lame about why it didn't say "Go Dallas" on it, when my 7-yr. old son, without missing a beat, defiantly declared, "Dallas sucks!" After we all laughed and I got over the slight embarrassment of his use of the word "sucks" (not taught at my home) to people who probably don't hear that kind of talk very often, I commented, "I've sure brought him up right, haven't I?" I was rather proud of him for not letting a "pro-'pukes" comment go unanswered.

Also, I have a t-shirt which my mother bought for me at JC Penney's in the early '80's which says, "Go Redskins! BEAT DALLAS!" The shirt is burgundy and the letters are gold. I haven't seen one like it since. While I wish I could still fit into it, it probably wouldn't do any good: I can't pry it off the back of my 11-yr. old, even if I wanted. He wears it all the time.

As a parent, you always wonder if you're raising your children right or not. I take comfort, however, in the fact that another generation of 'pukes haters is on the rise. Do I have George Allen to thank for this?:dallasuck

You're doing a bangup job, SB17! Keep up the good work!

Reminds me of a similar story a couple years ago. (I've shared it here before, but oh well.)

My oldest daughter was two at the time, and I was getting her dressed one morning. As I put her socks on, I said, "Go out and tell mommy you have your Dallas socks on."

She goes running out to the wife yelling, "Look mommy! Dallas socks! Dallas socks!" which in her little two-year old voice sounded just like "Dallas sucks!"

Anyway, that was the year we played the Giants on Christmas Eve, and we all went over to my grandma's house to watch the game. (Grandma is a HUGE Skins fan.)

At halftime, I told my daughter, "Go tell Mom Mom about your Dallas socks."

She put her hands on her hips and said, "NO Daddy! Not Dallas socks! Dallas SUCKS!"

That's my girl. :)

Be proud...I failed misserably as a parent. My "Baby Girl" fell to that "Dallas Cult". I'm affraid I've lost her and her Hubby forever. Actually it makes for a great time every weekend. HTTR

You're a horrible human being, les, and an epic failure as a parent. :mad:

j/k

I'm sure you did all you could. Some are just too weak to resist the Dark Side. :laugh:

yar, me own wifey's gonna squat one out this december (due date, the 25th :doh: ), and i've already discussed with her, that should anything happen to me, i want my child to know as much as possible about it's papa (me. i think. :silly: ) . my love for music, fishing, cartoons, my great big bushy beard, and above all, THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS. however it won't be forced upon the child, like religion, even though it's of far greater importance.

:dallasuck

congratulations and good luck to all the other expectant parents around here:cheers:.

Be proud...I failed misserably as a parent. My "Baby Girl" fell to that "Dallas Cult". I'm affraid I've lost her and her Hubby forever. Actually it makes for a great time every weekend. HTTR
It's so hard to hear this story and others like it. People always want to blame the parents, but a lot of times these kids just get in with the wrong crowd. Schools are so into teaching acceptance, and as parents we have an uphill battle. The education system fails to see that Cowboy fans are not people, and they should not be accepted. They should be forced to move to Texas, and Texas should be declared its own country. Then, we should declare war on Texas.

Should you have forbidden her to date a Cowboys fan? Probably. Even so, all I can do at this time is speculate that you weren't a good parent. Consider yourself judged.

It's so hard to hear this story and others like it. People always want to blame the parents, but a lot of times these kids just get in with the wrong crowd. Schools are so into teaching acceptance, and as parents we have an uphill battle. The education system fails to see that Cowboy fans are not people, and they should not be accepted. They should be forced to move to Texas, and Texas should be declared its own country. Then, we should declare war on Texas.

Should you have forbidden her to date a Cowboys fan? Probably. Even so, all I can do at this time is speculate that you weren't a good parent. Consider yourself judged.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :applause: :applause: :laugh: :laugh:

^ That says it all. That was a beautiful paragraph and a half.

Rule #25. Any person can say "Dallas Sucks" to anyone at anytime. It shall be considered proper etiquette.

My youngest son got interested in football at around 7-8 years old. He asked me why I disliked Dallas so much? I told him that Dallas cheats all the time just to win. That's all it took. He's a diehard Skin.

My sons have learned to despise Dallas since they were old enough to have an awareness of football. (This year, we added the Patriots to the mix.) We watched the rerun of Super Bowl XIII on the NFL Network recently and every time Staubach got nailed, they cheered like madmen. You would have thought it was live. I guess that's one small benefit of living in Eagles territory-their fans all hate Dallas too, so no one is going to undermine our teachings.

my niece and nephew have no other choice.. All they see is redskins stuff, everywhere. I always encorporate redskins into anything I have: My car (I have a redskins logo on the back window), My laptop has a gold reskins "coaches" R on he middle of it, I have redskin jerseys in frames up around my house on the walls everywhere and I have a hat Signed by Joe Gibbs, a Autographed Sean Taylor Picture (when he was at UM) and I have a LaVar Arrington Autographed football in my glass case. Whenever they come over, they ALWAYS ask me if they can have all my redskins stuff, and if not, can I buy them more stuff.. haha You gotta love little kids

My sons have learned to despise Dallas since they were old enough to have an awareness of football. (This year, we added the Patriots to the mix.) We watched the rerun of Super Bowl XIII on the NFL Network recently and every time Staubach got nailed, they cheered like madmen. You would have thought it was live. I guess that's one small benefit of living in Eagles territory-their fans all hate Dallas too, so no one is going to undermine our teachings.

I'm sorry you live around Eagle fan. It must be horrible to live around people who have the I.Q of a speed-bump.. Always remind your kids to tell any eagle fans that approach them that their team will always be the bridesmaids of the NFC-EAST.. They are down 3,3,5 to 0 ( how many superbowls us,giants and dallas have)

My 4 year old has known for over a year now that he can say the word sucks only when talking about the Cowboys. He trashtalks frighteningly well, even at this young age. I was a little nervous hearing him say how he'd like to throw the Cowboys to the ground, throw dirt and mud on them to bury them, step on them, etc. However, when he said that all Cowboys should die, I put a stop to it b/c I don't think you should talk that way about anybody -- not even those subhuman Cowboys.

A lot of young kids around here hate the Cowboys. My 4 year old recently wore some navy pants to school, and they had a yellow star on them. My son's best friend asked him with a horrified tone, "How could you wear Cowboy clothes?" My son explained how the star on his pants wasn't the Cowboys' symbol, but the other kid couldn't accept it. My child turned to me in horror and asked how I could dress him in Cowboy clothes. I reassured him that I would never do something so terrible and that these were not Cowboy pants, but I couldn't convince him that those pants weren't evil.

I got concerned about the 8 year old this past football season b/c he started showing some signs of becoming a fairweather fan. I ended that by reminding him that watching Redskin games doesn't count against his daily TV time, but only Skins fans get that bonus time. That convinced him to start pulling hard for the Redskins again.

As for how to convince your kids to be Redskin fans, let them see that it's due to the Redskins that they get to do things they don't otherwise do (like watching extra TV or staying up late to watch games). Like others said, surround them with Redskin stuff so it's second-nature to root for them. Both of my kids have always had Redskin clothing, and I'm proud to say that they'll choose to wear Redskin clothing any day that there's something clean hanging in their closet having to do with the Redskins (which is most of the time, between T-shirts, jerseys, and sweatshirts). And of course, tell them from the start how awful the Cowboys are. That info. is as important to learn as your ABCs and how to cross a street safely!

My son will be 3 in July and can identify the Redskin logo, say "TD Redskins" and he actually throws his arms up when they cross the goal line. It's a beautiful thing molding a son into a diehard Skins fan. He knows more about the Skins than I did at his age. :point2sky

"Dallas Sucks" is next up on the list. Hopefully I'll have him saying it by September. :D

until i graduate and can move back east i'm gonna have a hard time making my 2 girls skins fans....I'm in Seahawk teritory and my wife grew up here. So since shes not that much into football im going to secretly teach my girls about the history of the redskins and their fan base....each bithday they will get some kind of redskin gear :D

yar, me own wifey's gonna squat one out this december

:doh: You meant to say she's gonna "give birth", right?

As to the topic at hand, my 3 girls are 23, 19 and 19 and two of them always ask prospective boyfriends if they are Redskins fans. If they are Dallas fans, they won't give 'em the time of day.

The other one is a Skins fan too, just not quite as diehard as the rest of us. Not sure where I went wrong with that one ... ;)

The sig says it all ... :cheers:

Archived