Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network: Top 10 Recieving Corps, 1960's Redskins #5- Jerry Smith was gay??

ljs

I was just watching this show and it was nice to see the 80's recievers (Monk, Sanders, Clark) mentioned at # 8, then in the 60's Bobby Mitchel, Charlie Taylor and Jerry Smith were listed at #5.

What struck me was the brief mention that Jerry Smith was a homosexual. I searched for threads on this topic and didn't find any...It promped me to research a bit more, as I had never heard this.

I came across an ESPN article from December 1998 that states, "1987 Jerry Smith, a tight end with the Washington Redskins from 1965-77, dies of AIDS complications. Smith never acknowledged that he was gay, but in David Kopay's autobiography, Smith was described as his first love."

http://espn.go.com/otl/world/timeline.html

There's a bit more articles on the internet about this as well. Just thought it was interesting. (strange too ??)

If they do it again in 10 years hopefully the combo of Santana Moss, Malcolm Kelley, Devin Thomas, and Randel El will be #1!!! :cheers:

I can dream can't I?

No Doubt! Then add Cooley and Davis (pending he can wake up). just makes me exicted for the season.

No Doubt! Then add Cooley and Davis (pending he can wake up). just makes me exicted for the season.

We already know what Santana can do when he is healthy and playing good. Randel El stepped in and did a hell of a job as a reciever last year too. If Malcolm Kelly AND Devin Thomas pan out, and Davis plays to his potential too...:yikes:

The chances of that happening are slim, but imagine if it DID happen. Our offence would be outstanding for years to come...So many weapons...

More dreaminggg...

Esera Tuaolo, David Kopay, Roy Simmons, and Jerry Smith are noted NFL players who have either come out voluntarily or have been outed by someone.

You can read about their stories (Tuaolo and Kopay are probably the easiest to find). They had to deal with a lot of people hating them for who they were, while they were just trying to do their jobs.

I'm shocked they got that type of recognition, but they deserve it. In the late sixties and early seventies, third and long was referred to as "third and Smith". He was my first favorite player before Charley Taylor took that spot for good.

In 1967, they each had receptions in the 60's or 70's. Not to mention Sonny at the helm. Too bad they didn't have much of a line, Larry Brown or any defense.

Jerry Smith had two of the surest hands of any tight end to play the game. He had a knack for full stretch diving catches, and was a clutch 3rd down receiver.

He played 12 years in the NFL - all with the Skins. From 1967 to 1970 he averaged 9 receiving touchdowns per season (the NFL played 14 games per season then).

Sonny had lots of weapons in Smith, Charley Taylor, and Bobby Mitchell. The Redskins D didn't help much in those days, though.

I was lucky enough to see the combination of Taylor, Mitchell and Smith play near the end of Bobby's career.

Jerry Smith was gay but was great with the fans. I remember getting autographs from him and Walter Rock at the opening of a camera store "The Snap Shop" at recently opened Springfield Mall in 1972. Both guys were friendly although Rock was more outgoing than Smith. I also saw Jerry a few times at RFK after his playing days, the last around 1984, and always said hello and shook hands with him. That last time, I remember him looking a little thin and gaunt but didn't think anything of it until I saw he was dying with AIDS a couple years later.

For some more info on Jerry's off-field "exploits", check out this article about Dave Kopay. Most of the stuff about Jerry is near the end.

http://davidkamp.com/2006/08/the_nfls_closet_case.php

I can remember meeting Jerry Smith at Coleman Cadillac around 1972. He was friendly enough and signed a picture for me (it's somewhere in the footlocker of lost sports memorabilia).

He was one of the great TE's of all time. IMHO his sexual preference has kept him from acheiving the recognition he deserves.

From wikipedia: "In his career Smith caught 421 passes, including 60 touchdowns, a record for Tight Ends at the time. He was named All-Pro twice and held several NFL records that stood for years. Despite his peerless accomplishments and decades standing records he has been denied membership in the NFL Hall of Fame."

There might a couple of TE's with more TD's then Smith. Shannon Sharpe with 62 (and 815 catches) and Tony Gonzalez with 66 (and 820 catches) come to mind.

When looking at the catch-to-TD ratio, Jerry Smith was scoring a TD about ever 7 times he touched the ball.

A clutch, clutch player who always showed up on Sunday. It's a real shame he hasn't gotten the recognition he so obviously deserves.

If they do it again in 10 years hopefully the combo of Santana Moss, Malcolm Kelley, Devin Thomas, and Randel El will be #1!!! :cheers:

I can dream can't I?

With Complimentary help from Cooley, Thomas and MIX they should be in the top 3. :D:)

No offense, (hey we're all Skins fans here) but some of you young guys really need to stop looking at the world from just what's at the end of your nose. If you've never heard of the great Jerry Smith, then you're just a casual fan.....and that makes you quite boring. Jerry Smith died of AIDS, and he was gay. When he passed, Dave Butz (have you at least heard of him? Played on the D-line....) said of him,"I considered Jerry a friend of mine when we played together, and I still consider Jerry Smith a friend."

No offense, (hey we're all Skins fans here) but some of you young guys really need to stop looking at the world from just what's at the end of your nose. If you've never heard of the great Jerry Smith, then you're just a casual fan.....and that makes you quite boring. Jerry Smith died of AIDS, and he was gay. When he passed, Dave Butz (have you at least heard of him? Played on the D-line....) said of him,"I considered Jerry a friend of mine when we played together, and I still consider Jerry Smith a friend."

Old School rant - I love it! :applause:

The respect Jerry got from the announcers was remarkable - the respect from the HOF was horrible.

Don't get me started BUT Chris and Jerry should be in the HOF! :mad:

:helmet: The Rook

This young gal hadn't heard of Jerry Smith until todays show, but I am much more than a "casual" fan. Of course I knew of Sammy Baugh, Bobby Mitchel, Charlie Taylor etc....and the guys who have played after that. Weird that I never recall hearing of Jerry Smith. I was 7 when I became a Skins fan, and that was when Theismann was QB.

So I did my research today and found out what an amazing player he was. I think it's aweful that the HOF has disregarded him and we can all place safe bets it was due to his personal life. It would be so damn hard to "come out" as a player now, I can't even imagine how scared he was back then. Hell, the Skins didn't even have a black player til the feds made them (and yes, I knew that before the show today),,,

No offence, but I am no casual fan and not to insult you or anything but I have no doubt I am a BIGGER fan of football, and the Redskins then you...and I have never heard of Jerry Smith to where I can remember...maybe my dad told me about him before. I don't remember ever hearing his name.

Just because someone hasn't heard of someone before doesn't mean they are just a casual fan. That was WAY before my time, and just because I didn't study all of the old players of the Redskins' from the 60's doesn't mean I am just a "casual" fan. I play football 7 out of 7 days a week and watch it every time it's on, and anytime I'm watching tv 75 percent of the time its on NFL network...

I am SURE there are alot of young people who are just as diehard of fans as you are. So what are you talking about??? :doh:

I know all the other greats and many more but I'd never heard of Jerry Smith either. This leaves me to beleive that he has been completely cast asside because of who he was. That's quite a shame and needless to say, I will now educate myself.

Jerry Smith was just one of those guys who flew under the radar. For you youngsters who never heard of him or barely heard of him, you likely would have heard more had a pass from Billy Kilmer not hit the goalpost in Super Bowl VII. Jerry was wide open and would have caught the first TD in Skins Super Bowl history had the goalpost been at the back of the endzone like it is now.

That pass likely had a lot to do with the NFL moving it to the back of the endzone for the 1973 season. Unfortunately for Jerry and the Skins it was one year too late.

As great a player as he was, I never understood why he never got more HOF consideration.

For you youngsters who never heard of him or barely heard of him,.....

I'm just flattered that at 33 I'm still a youngster..you all know how to make a lady feel good.

I love going to the liquor store and getting carded.;)

Esera Tuaolo, David Kopay, Roy Simmons, and Jerry Smith are noted NFL players who have either come out voluntarily or have been outed by someone.

You can read about their stories (Tuaolo and Kopay are probably the easiest to find). They had to deal with a lot of people hating them for who they were, while they were just trying to do their jobs.

are you gay? or did you read an article about homosexuality in the NFL? or did you write something about it?

i don't intend to offend you in any way. i'm just curious, you seem to know more than the "average fan" about it.

Archived