Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network: Top 10 Recieving Corps, 1960's Redskins #5- Jerry Smith was gay??

ljs

Anybody else think it's an odd coincidence that of the 3 NFL players who have publicly acknowledged their homosexuality, 2 (David Kopay and Roy Simmons) played for the Redskins at some point in their careers? Interesting, considering the team's history of discrimination early on (i.e. last team to sign a black player).

Anybody else think it's an odd coincidence that of the 3 NFL players who have publicly acknowledged their homosexuality, 2 (David Kopay and Roy Simmons) played for the Redskins at some point in their careers? Interesting, considering the team's history of discrimination early on (i.e. last team to sign a black player).

Gay-ness is probably a little less obvious than black-ness on scouting film and in practices.

I remember it being quite shock to me when I heard of his death when it happened. I very much remember Jerry Smith and for those that are too young to not have known of his ability..You missed a great tight end for the Skins. But that just means I'm old.. :laugh:

Well the 70s Redskins GM was gay also. Hmmm maybe that had something to do with who he drafted or signed? Nah I am just going to say it was an coincidence.

No way! HOF membership should be based on merit as a football player, not on sexual orientation and merit as a football player. It seems clear to me that Jerry Smith was good enough to be a HOFer, based on merit as a football player.

I think we established that. So i'm curious of your opinion. Do you think it's right to hold him back because of his sexual orientation? personally, I don't.

Well the 70s Redskins GM was gay also. Hmmm maybe that had something to do with who he drafted or signed? Nah I am just going to say it was an coincidence.

Which GM are you referring to? George Allen made the personnel decisions from '71-'77. After that, Bobby Beathard took over as GM.

Also, Jerry Smith was drafted in 1965.

No offense, (hey we're all Skins fans here) but some of you young guys really need to stop looking at the world from just what's at the end of your nose. If you've never heard of the great Jerry Smith, then you're just a casual fan.....and that makes you quite boring. Jerry Smith died of AIDS, and he was gay. When he passed, Dave Butz (have you at least heard of him? Played on the D-line....) said of him,"I considered Jerry a friend of mine when we played together, and I still consider Jerry Smith a friend."

chill bud, just cause some of us are younger, doesn't mean we are less of a fan. I appreciate Redskins history, but I did not know who Jerry Smith was. I know of Butz, and many other past Redskins, but just because I was not familiar with Smith doesn't make me a casual fan. And boring? What does that mean???

No offense, (hey we're all Skins fans here) but some of you young guys really need to stop looking at the world from just what's at the end of your nose. If you've never heard of the great Jerry Smith, then you're just a casual fan.....and that makes you quite boring. Jerry Smith died of AIDS, and he was gay. When he passed, Dave Butz (have you at least heard of him? Played on the D-line....) said of him,"I considered Jerry a friend of mine when we played together, and I still consider Jerry Smith a friend."

No offence, but I am no casual fan and not to insult you or anything but I have no doubt I am a BIGGER fan of football, and the Redskins then you...and I have never heard of Jerry Smith to where I can remember...maybe my dad told me about him before. I don't remember ever hearing his name.

Just because someone hasn't heard of someone before doesn't mean they are just a casual fan. That was WAY before my time, and just because I didn't study all of the old players of the Redskins' from the 60's doesn't mean I am just a "casual" fan. I play football 7 out of 7 days a week and watch it every time it's on, and anytime I'm watching tv 75 percent of the time its on NFL network...

I am SURE there are alot of young people who are just as diehard of fans as you are. So what are you talking about??? :doh:

I agree with the sentiment that everyone would benefit from studying history (not just football history either), but calling someone a casual fan may have been a bit harsh.

Jerry Smith, while a great player and fondly remembered by those of us who remember watching him, has never gotten a lot of press. Its not that surprising that many younger fans have not heard of him.

In defense of the younger fans, exactly how often has Jerry's name been mentioned in the media, either in print or on TV or NFL Network since he passed away? His sexual orientation had to play a huge part in that. How often is his name mentioned among the greatest TE's to play the game? Never. Again, because he was gay. Another reason he flies under the radar is because he never came out while he was alive. We only know he was gay because A) He died from AIDS and B) Other players publicly but quietly said so AFTER he passed away.

Unfortunately, I really think the NFL has purposely tried to distance themselves from the fact and hardly anyone mentions his name anymore and when they do it's because he was gay and died from AIDS and not because he was a great player. What a travesty. :mad:

In defense of the younger fans, exactly how often has Jerry's name been mentioned in the media, either in print or on TV or NFL Network since he passed away? His sexual orientation had to play a huge part in that. How often is his name mentioned among the greatest TE's to play the game? Never. Again, because he was gay. Another reason he flies under the radar is because he never came out while he was alive. We only know he was gay because A) He died from AIDS and B) Other players publicly but quietly said so AFTER he passed away.

Unfortunately, I really think the NFL has purposely tried to distance themselves from the fact and hardly anyone mentions his name anymore and when they do it's because he was gay and died from AIDS and not because he was a great player. What a travesty. :mad:

:applause: I totally agree with your post except...
A) He died from AIDS...
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Plenty of straight people die from AIDS. For all we know it could have been a bad blood transfusion or even drug needle usage.

:applause: I totally agree with your post except...

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Plenty of straight people die from AIDS. For all we know it could have been a bad blood transfusion or even drug needle usage.

This is VERY true in 2008, however in 1986, if you died from AIDS the odds were much greater that you were gay. Also, and unfortunately, the stigma placed upon those that had AIDS, by our society in 1986, pretty much assumed that you were either gay or a needle-sharing drug addict. Since 99% of Skins fans were certain he wasn't the latter then he must have been the former. Thankfully, we are not quite so quick to judge nowadays.

This is VERY true in 2008, however in 1986, if you died from AIDS the odds were much greater that you were gay. Also, and unfortunately, the stigma placed upon those that had AIDS, by our society in 1986, pretty much assumed that you were either gay or a needle-sharing drug addict. Since 99% of Skins fans were certain he wasn't the latter then he must have been the former. Thankfully, we are not quite so quick to judge nowadays.
Cool. I see what you did there. :cheers:

What is funny to me is that there was this backlash against Michael Westbrook being gay and that there is either tolerance or denial that Jerry Smith was gay and deal with it or he wasn't at all. The only reason that this juxtaposition strikes me is that a couple of months ago Michael Westbrook thread was on here and people were so adamant that he was gay and that it was a big deal and it was people's right to know what his orientation was. Even if Jerry Smith was gay, he didn't broadcast it and he wasn't making people aware of it and people are willing to overlook that. Basically, so what if either player was gay. As long as they weren't flaunting it about, it really shouldn't matter. Either player has a right to live their lives as long as they aren't making anyone else uncomfortable about it.

What is funny to me is that there was this backlash against Michael Westbrook being gay and that there is either tolerance or denial that Jerry Smith was gay and deal with it or he wasn't at all. The only reason that this juxtaposition strikes me is that a couple of months ago Michael Westbrook thread was on here and people were so adamant that he was gay and that it was a big deal and it was people's right to know what his orientation was. Even if Jerry Smith was gay, he didn't broadcast it and he wasn't making people aware of it and people are willing to overlook that. Basically, so what if either player was gay. As long as they weren't flaunting it about, it really shouldn't matter. Either player has a right to live their lives as long as they aren't making anyone else uncomfortable about it.

First, I'll have to search about Michael Westbrook, that is the first I've heard of that 'rumor'.

I don't think you meant any harm by the last sentence, but to say they have a right, except if someone is uncomfortable?? that's crazy. Maybe you meant, if they aren't outwardly hitting on other guys in the locker room. Making someone uncomfortable is impossible to avoid, regardless if they are sharing a locker room or live in another country. Just the knowledge of somone being gay makes many uncomfortable.

I'm going to come out big time, I'm lesbian. I'm also 56. I'm a mother and grandmother. I'm darn good at my profession.

I read "The David Kopay Story" in paperback years ago. I was surprised and pleased at the same time. Same when I heard about Jerry Smith. Actually, people couldn't believe it because he was so good looking. All my friends who were girls had crushes on him. They were disappointed when it came out about him.

We really ARE everywhere, even here. And not only that, being gay, lesbian bisexual, or heterosexual etc. are just one of our characteristics, and not the only identifier.

When we are at work, be it on the playing field or in the battlefield, or the office, or the store, or the construction site, or anywhere else work is being conducted, we are there to do our jobs and it's not about our sexuality and affectational orientation, but how well we perform our work.

My parents got season tickets starting in the 1963 season and held them until my mother died in 1997. I've seen many great players, and not once did I wonder at their sexual orientation. Whether they played their position well and contributed to the team was the important factor.

I'm happy to see the discussion on Jerry here and homosexuality in general. The tone has been respectful. I can only imagine if this "conversation" was taking place in the 1980s or 1970s, how the tone would be. So I have hope for the future.

As far as making people uncomfortable, I am uncomfortable about the level of violence against gays and lesbians that still exists out there.

Gays and lesbians are not responsible for making one uncomfortable, gays and lesbians are not responsible for one's comfort and feelings. One is responsible for one's own comfort and feelings. And if one is uncomfortable, then maybe one should examine one's discomfort level to find the source of the discomfort/feelings. Could it be because one doesn't have experience or education regarding the discomfort/feelings?

If one is feeling discomfort because someone is a different race, is it up to the person of the different race to make one comfortable?

The Skins had a few known gay players during that time frame. There also was a RB who was gay, can't think of his name. Maybe someone else knows who I am referring to.

Jerry Smith was one great receiver who caught everything thrown in his direction.

I'm happy to see the discussion on Jerry here and homosexuality in general. The tone has been respectful. I can only imagine if this "conversation" was taking place in the 1980s or 1970s, how the tone would be. So I have hope for the future.

Now if we can just convince the NFL then maybe Jerry will finally find his way into the HOF.

The Skins had a few known gay players during that time frame. There also was a RB who was gay, can't think of his name. Maybe someone else knows who I am referring to.

I believe you are referring to the aforementioned Dave Kopay, who played with the Skins under Vince Lombardi. Kopay says he and Jerry Smith had a brief relationship.

What I am saying is that people have a right to live how they want, just as long as they aren't infringing upon anyone else's rights. Like you said about hitting on people and that sort of thing.

cool, we are on the same page then. I agree and after the research I've done about Smith, he completely deserves HOF consideration. I'm honestly pleasantly surprised about the positive responses from people on here, in regard to players being gay. I actually expected someone to say something negative.

BTW, I just watched the show again. I've seen it 3 times this week.

What is funny to me is that there was this backlash against Michael Westbrook being gay .

I actually watched a segment on him yesterday.(forgot the exact show) It mentioned the rumor of him being gay and he totally denies it. He has a few kids, long time g/f. Not that it has stopped other guys. He says a converstaion between he and Stephen Davis was taken out of context and mis interpretted that Davis called him gay.

Jerry Smith still holds the team record for career receptions for a tight end. Cooley broke his single-season record for receptions this past season.

Meantime, I missed the Mitchell-Taylor-Smith part of the special. What did they say about those GREAT Redskins?

Archived