Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: Rookies Most Likely to...

jimster

Rookie most likely to be a steal in five years

Colt Brennan

A lot of pundits think that Brennan will be nothing more than an Arena League quarterback because he doesn’t have the ideal size, throwing motion or overall quickness that translate to the NFL. But the one thing about Brennan is that anytime someone questions his ability, he always bounces back and proves all of his doubters wrong.

In the last ten years, there have been four quarterbacks selected in the sixth round that have gone on to be Pro Bowl players: Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady and Derek Anderson. I’m not going to compare Brennan with any of the quarterbacks mentioned, but his resiliency is uncanny, and nothing seems to faze him.

Brennan is in the perfect situation with the Redskins to show he’s capable of being an efficient NFL quarterback. New Head Coach Jim Zorn brings his West Coast offense to Washington, and Brennan is the perfect QB to develop in this offense. Although he worked out of the shotgun at Hawaii, Brennan has experience in the West Coast system going back to his high school days. Brennan’s quick release, accuracy and ability to run the offense will be enough to push Jason Campbell for the starting job in two years.

whole list

Who knows if he'll pan out, but I've been surprised by the negativity from many fans. It seems like people are more willing to root for the UFA's of the world and talk them up as future Pro-bowlers, all the while talking about Colt being trash? I don't have high hopes that he will be a starter for us, but if people are willing to put reality aside and cheer for Jesse Lumsden to be the next Barry Sanders, why won't they give Brennan the same level of suspended disbelief?

So he may not be Tom Brady, but why not hope (even though it's unlikely) that he'll prove people wrong and be an NFL caliber QB?

Colt's a guy you can't help but cheer for, no matter what team you're a fan of. He's a great person and has overcome a lot. You hate to doubt him.

That said, run and shoot QBs have failed in the NFL. Andre Ware, David Klingler and Timmy Chang were all in & out of the league quick. The skill to run that offense just doesn't translate well to the NFL.

We've been arguably the worst in the league at qb for 15 years. Never a bad thing to have one developing. Brennan could turn into a commodity, or so could JC, but I do like the idea of Zorn taking his time with Brennan. He's definitely on par with where Hasselback was coming out of college.

A lot of people didn't look at this pick the right way. In theory its a low risk high reward. I honestly don't see the risk. He was brought in as the third QB, no more, no less. How many teams can do well when dipping into to their third string QB? He will have time to develop and become a solid number two. And who knows, maybe even be a number 1. He obviously has a lot of potential and we should be happy about the pick.

Colt should be able to succeed, but this year is out of the question. Jason is the starter and Todd is the backup, end of story. Unless BOTH Jason and Todd go down Colt will be holding the clipboard and learning. I do like the fact that he was brought in. He's a WAAAAAAAY better choice than Jordan Palmer.

We've been arguably the worst in the league at qb for 15 years.

You may want to rethink that before just throwing it out there with the likes of Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington and a few others have touched a football at one time or another.

Either way its a win win situation imo.

1) He sucks.... we lose out on a 6th round pick.

2) He is as good as he was in college and become our future QB (in turn we trade JC)

3) He is good but JC is still better, he can become a solid #2 for us.

4) He is just as good as JC but we stick with JC (we trade him, surely for more then a 6th round)

personally I dont care who our players are if we win games, and they do not do anything stupid like, shooting someone or beating their dad etc.

I'm really excited about the Colt pick. I wouldn't be surprised to see him pushing JC a lot sooner than people expect.

JC has the makings of bust, in my opinion, given his stunted growth. As we are moving to an offense that is the worst possible one for him giving his weaknesses (while being the best possible one for Colt given his strengths), I think JC will cause some to question whether he should be benched towards the end of this upcoming season. I do not expect JC to be the starting QB on opening day 2009. Maybe Colt will be.

If we are going to run the WCO, Colt would fit in quite well if he develops and learns.

Either way its a win win situation imo.

1) He sucks.... we lose out on a 6th round pick.

2) He is as good as he was in college and become our future QB (in turn we trade JC)

3) He is good but JC is still better, he can become a solid #2 for us.

4) He is just as good as JC but we stick with JC (we trade him, surely for more then a 6th round)

This is what I like about this pick. Even if he washes out, oh well, all we lose is a 6th rounder (and a couple hundred Hawaii fans, more's the pity). But give one of the better former quarterback coaches in the league and a vet like Collins a few years to hammer out his mechanics in a relatively low-pressure environment, and who knows, maybe we are sitting on the next Tom Brady. Unlikely, to be sure, but still a possibility

only two things i see with the writeup on brennen.

Although he worked out of the shotgun at Hawaii, Brennan has experience in the West Coast system going back to his high school days.

are they really trying to say that someone who played a WCO in high school will be able to adapt to it in the pros? even the worst sports writer knows that theres no comparison between high school and pro offenses.

...because he doesn’t have the ideal size, throwing motion or overall quickness that translate to the NFL.

i thought all the scouting reports on brennen before the draft said he had decent quickness and agility. at least enough to move around in the pocket to avoid the pressure. and, i dont feel like double checking, but i thought he scrambled for something like 14 TDs last year on top of the ones he threw for. is that really a lack of quickness?

Arena-caliber talent for a QB might not be the insult some would have us believe it is. After all, Colt's size and arm strength are comparable to a former MVP with arena-caliber talent. Kurt Warner - who played in the closest thing to a run-and-shoot offense that I've ever seen in the NFL. The kid will be just fine.

Never the size of the dog in the fight, yadda yadda yadda...

HTTR

Archived