Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOX: Rookies Most Likely to...

jimster

As mentioned by another poster, Avery was taken first and he is on the "Steal" list.

Still, as a second rounder, and second-overall wr, he's expected to perform well. No surprises if he does. If Brennan plays well, however, people will be going

:excited: .

Colt should be able to succeed, but this year is out of the question. Jason is the starter and Todd is the backup, end of story. Unless BOTH Jason and Todd go down Colt will be holding the clipboard and learning. I do like the fact that he was brought in. He's a WAAAAAAAY better choice than Jordan Palmer.

And he can run and get out of trouble if he has to just like JC. I think this is awesome because JC is like our new Mark Rypien and Colt Brennan is our new Stan Humphries. It's a great situation.

all of the guys he mentioned were not as hyped as Colt going into the draft, so I think people know a lot more about Colt Brennan then they do say Derek Alexander.

I'm going to buy you a Colt Brennan jersey for Christmas man. You love that guy:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One thing nobody is talking about is his wide recievers. They were pretty good too to catch all of those balls and run precise routes. I think only 1 got picked up.

Devon Bess went UDFA with the Dolphins.

And Grice Mullen also got picked up UDFA but forgot what team.

Unless one of them or both have been released.

Not to say Brennan will for sure pan out into a serviceable(or even great) QB, but one thing that sticks out about guys like Brady and why they were drafted late(yet still turned into stars) is they were guys who had a lot of drive, a will to play and win, and were accurate passers. Usually(and this is true with Brady, Bulger) they were criticized for their lack of physical ability, and mobility. Brady was to wiry, and lacked a strong enough arm. He was slow. But at the same time they admitted, despite all that, he was accurate, made big plays, and didnt make mistakes.

Now the big difference between Brady and Brennan coming out of college is where they played. Brady played a lot of very big schools, Brennan did not. Nevertheless, its foolish to write off(or for that matter, draft) a QB just based on their physical gifts.

Rookie most likely to be a steal in five years

Colt Brennan

A lot of pundits think that Brennan will be nothing more than an Arena League quarterback because he doesn’t have the ideal size, throwing motion or overall quickness that translate to the NFL. But the one thing about Brennan is that anytime someone questions his ability, he always bounces back and proves all of his doubters wrong.

In the last ten years, there have been four quarterbacks selected in the sixth round that have gone on to be Pro Bowl players: Matt Hasselbeck, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady and Derek Anderson. I’m not going to compare Brennan with any of the quarterbacks mentioned, but his resiliency is uncanny, and nothing seems to faze him.

Brennan is in the perfect situation with the Redskins to show he’s capable of being an efficient NFL quarterback. New Head Coach Jim Zorn brings his West Coast offense to Washington, and Brennan is the perfect QB to develop in this offense. Although he worked out of the shotgun at Hawaii, Brennan has experience in the West Coast system going back to his high school days. Brennan’s quick release, accuracy and ability to run the offense will be enough to push Jason Campbell for the starting job in two years.

whole list

It's funny how they make excuses for some players, yet for others it's an obstacle from which they can never overcome.

I think it would be great if Colt becomes a great back-up, but I'm looking forward to seeing our guy (Campbell) get to the next level, so that in the next five years, as good as Brennan could become, you'd crazy to think of replacing Campbell.

Colt also ran the WCO in juco.

All four of Colt's receivers are in NFL camps. Davone Bess with Miami, Ryan Grice-Mullins with the Texans, Jason Rivers in Tennessee. The fourth, C.J. Hawthorne has a tryout with the Bills.

I think Colt might end up holding a clipboard this season, but will be eventually starting somewhere in the NFL in the near future.

:wavetowel

Colt also ran the WCO in juco.

All four of Colt's receivers are in NFL camps. Davone Bess with Miami, Ryan Grice-Mullins with the Texans, Jason Rivers in Tennessee. The fourth, C.J. Hawthorne has a tryout with the Bills.

I think Colt might end up holding a clipboard this season, but will be eventually starting somewhere in the NFL in the near future.

:wavetowel

Is Colt's birthday like some kind of huge holiday down there in Hawaii?

:D

It would be nice, though I think this is an obvious pick.

Colt broke all kinds of NCAA records and was considered a dark horse Heismann Candidate. At one point he was considered to be second round pick material and he would have been much higher had it not been for the bowl game against Georgia and the hip injury.

The thing is, I think some of these picks are crap. I can see Vernon Gholston and Chad Henne being complete busts and while I admit I don't know much about him I'm shocked that they think Donny Avery will catch 60+. I don't wanna here "Oh you don't know him you're biased because he didn't go to a big school." Fact is, theses guys probably don't know him that well either. I'm obviously biased but I don't see Duane Brown "fading into obscurity." He's raw, but he's got great potential, for an O-lineman he's an incredible athlete.

At the end of the day, I'd love to see Colt succeed but I don't see him starting for the Skins...ever.

Every time we get a new QB a lot of you get on him tighter then a sweaty Jock Strap. Jason played his first full season last year and we already have started looking at someone to replace him. You can not even compare the schools Auburn is a much better school from a much better conference. Jason has tried to do everything you expect out of a young qb to be sucessful. He will be sucessful hard work = positive results. Can you get off the Brennon Jock until Jason has shown he can't lead this team. What kind of offensive stucture has he reallly had the whole offense sucked and we needed more YOUNGER weapons.

It's funny how they make excuses for some players, yet for others it's an obstacle from which they can never overcome.

I think it would be great if Colt becomes a great back-up, but I'm looking forward to seeing our guy (Campbell) get to the next level, so that in the next five years, as good as Brennan could become, you'd crazy to think of replacing Campbell.

Great Post I aqree with you:cheers:

Brennan’s quick release, accuracy and ability to run the offense will be enough to push Jason Campbell for the starting job in two years.

Couldn't agree more. Accuracy is the most important skill a QB can possess, Brennan has it, Campbell does not. I don't care what level you are playing at, completeing barely over %50 of your passes is not good, and completeing over %70 is outstanding.

Couldn't agree more. Accuracy is the most important skill a QB can possess, Brennan has it, Campbell does not. I don't care what level you are playing at, completeing barely over %50 of your passes is not good, and completeing over %70 is outstanding.

JC completed 70% in his senior year. :doh:

You may want to rethink that before just throwing it out there with the likes of Ryan Leaf, Joey Harrington and a few others have touched a football at one time or another.
I agree and disagree. There have been some teams that have had a harder time at QB than us over the past 15 years (the Bears, Lions, and Dolphins leap to my mind). The Redskins have had three praiseworthy quarterbacking stints that I can think of: Brad Johnson's 1999 campaign, Brunell's 2005 campaign, and Todd Collins brief stint last year. However, there is no denying the Shuler, Frerotte, George, Matthews, Wuerfel, and Ramsey debacles. Taken together, we have only had 3 or 4 good seasons of quarterback play in the past 15 years, which must put us near the bottom of the league during that stretch.

Of course, the jury is still out on where Campbell will fit in. Early returns have been inconclusive at best. His superior mobility, toughness, and strength have wowed us all, but his obviously inferior accuracy is quite troubling. You have to be able to hit what you are throwing at, which coicidentally is something Brennan does quite well. Time will tell, perhaps Campbell's accuracy will continue to improve (a bit more rapidly one hopes), or perhaps Brennan will one day be seen as the steal of the draft. I can't wait to find out!

JC completed 70% in his senior year. :doh:
It is true that Campbell completed nearly 70% of his passes his senior year. However, he completed only about 62% the rest of his career at Auburn, and he has thrown for significantly less than 60% in his two NFL seasons. So that is 1 season out of 6 where Campbell's accuracy was good. On the other hand, Brennan completed over 70% of his passes during his entire college career.

QB Jeff Garcia comes to mind in comparing Colt Brennan. Of course I hope QB Jason Campbell lights it up this season, but I admire Cerrato for drafting Colt in the 6th round. If Campbell struggles this season with the WCO, Zorn will waste no time in having Brennan compete head to head in training camp next year for the starting QB job.

I saw all I needed out of Colt in the Sugar Bowl against a fast d like georgia. It is scary to imagine hi against even better talent.
Everybody always mentions this, and surely there is some merit it to it. However, it must also be said that Hawaii's offensive line was completely overmatched in that game. Any quarterback would have struggled in that situation.

Colt's a guy you can't help but cheer for, no matter what team you're a fan of. He's a great person and has overcome a lot. You hate to doubt him.

That said, run and shoot QBs have failed in the NFL. Andre Ware, David Klingler and Timmy Chang were all in & out of the league quick. The skill to run that offense just doesn't translate well to the NFL.

He either has the ability or he hasn't. What does the system he ran in college have to do with it? He's extremely accurate, has a very quick release and is mobile. Those traits he possesses regardless of the scheme he's in.

[/broken record]

Everybody always mentions this, and surely there is some merit it to it. However, it must also be said that Hawaii's offensive line was completely overmatched in that game. Any quarterback would have struggled in that situation.

no ****. other games against inferior competition, he got all the time in the world to pass:doh:

Archived