Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Those pesky democrats supporting our troops again. . .

chomerics

For those who don't follow c-span, or our government for that matter, the new GI bill was finally passed, thanks to the democrats. They have increased the funding for vets, and are *gasp* actually paying for it by increasing the tax rate on people making over $500K a year.

Finally the GI bill passed with overwhelming margin of 256 votes in the House, including 32 Republicans. It included a war surtax of one half of one percent on people making over $500k a year to pay for the GI bill, at the behest of Blue Dogs. This might actually be the most remarkable piece of the votes today; conservative Democrats agreeing to raise taxes on the wealthy to pay for educational benefits for veterans. Bill Foster and Don Cazayoux both voted well on the new GI Bill and on the Responsible Plan bill with timelines, but were 'yes' votes on war funding. So yes, they are conservative, and I expect Childers to be conservative as well. Still, the MS-01, the IL-14 special election result, and the LA-06 special election result - all red seats picked off by Democrats - are devastating Republican discipline in the House.

http://openleft.com/showDiary.do;jsessionid=14D128C7B6FDA6D77758533BED0B19B0?diaryId=5800

Oh come on! These deadbeats are getting enough from the American taxpayer as it is. It's not like W. and Co. sent the troops into combat without inadequate armor, kevlar and aren't taking care of them when they return from combat. Yessir, risk your life, serve your country and then get the brushoff. That's how we do things here. :doh:

Ummm....how do you figure it's only for 500K+ people ?!?!

ya may wanna re read the FIRST LINE in the FULL article....not that snip :doh:

What are you talking about?

Chom said the GI Bill passed, with a corresponding tax increase for people making $500k+ per year.

That's exactly what the article says.

The first paragraph is about totally different votes.

my wife and I were both in the military and when we decided to have a child we qualified for WIC and almost welfare.

the "bonuses" you think are so good are just for show. you dont get paid for **** and you are always on call. 24/7, 365. with that in mind, when I was in 94 a E-5 was making about .83 an hour when you take into account being on call 24 hours a day. And when you are on a ship floating at sea, yes they do call you at all hours whenever they want.

What are you talking about?

Chom said the GI Bill passed, with a corresponding tax increase for people making $500k+ per year.

That's exactly what the article says.

The first paragraph is about totally different votes.

He's actually right on this one guys, click his link and read it. Plain as day.

By "he" you mean Chom, correct?

I just want to be sure...

He wants you to click on his link to a you tube video, it is a epic fail :P

it is only because he fell for the trick, and he is trying to get someone else to do the same thing :) It appears to be the Rick Roll video, seeing DanT's post.

10% of **** is still ****. if you get paid nothing and someone gives you a 10% raise, it isnt going to matter in the long run. the little man will never see this and this is just for people to try and convince the public that they care about the serviceman.

the military is grossly underpaid and for the job they do this is a slap in the mouth. places like San Diego need to have a Cost of living allowance but they dont. But any place you live overseas has COLA with no questions asked.

10% of **** is still ****. if you get paid nothing and someone gives you a 10% raise, it isnt going to matter in the long run. the little man will never see this and this is just for people to try and convince the public that they care about the serviceman.

the military is grossly underpaid and for the job they do this is a slap in the mouth. places like San Diego need to have a Cost of living allowance but they dont. But any place you live overseas has COLA with no questions asked.

I agree with you BigMike....I grew up in the military...if it wasn't the fact that my mom worked as well we would've had a tough time making ends meet.

He wants you to click on his link to a you tube video, it is a epic fail :P

it is only because he fell for the trick, and he is trying to get someone else to do the same thing :) It appears to be the Rick Roll video, seeing DanT's post.

Oh. Got it.

I just went up one post and clicked on your original, so I didn't know what was going on. :laugh:

my wife and I were both in the military and when we decided to have a child we qualified for WIC and almost welfare.

the "bonuses" you think are so good are just for show. you dont get paid for **** and you are always on call. 24/7, 365. with that in mind, when I was in 94 a E-5 was making about .83 an hour when you take into account being on call 24 hours a day. And when you are on a ship floating at sea, yes they do call you at all hours whenever they want.

Just because you are "on call" doesn't mean you are at work, working, 24x7. I will not argue that service members are overpaid but I always think the blank per hour thing misrepresents what is actually the case. And yes, I spent 9 years on active duty.

Does anyone know if the pesky Democrats in the Senate are also supporting the troops again?

I believe in CONUS the COLA is factored into the BAH(Basic Allowance for Housing). Probably known as BAQ(basic allowance for quarters) and VHA(variable housing allowance) back when you were in. All of which was not taxable.

Just because you are "on call" doesn't mean you are at work, working, 24x7. I will not argue that service members are overpaid but I always think the blank per hour thing misrepresents what is actually the case. And yes, I spent 9 years on active duty.

Does anyone know if the pesky Democrats in the Senate are also supporting the troops again?

when you are on duty, which happens once a week, you are working and on call. when you are on a ship or a squadron you are ALWAYS on call.

In 94 when the President of North Korea died I had just gotten home from a 6 month deployment and was not even home a week before I was called back to go there.

If you are forward moving like most of the Marines are right now, they can definitely calll you back to duty.

Overpaid? Where were you stationed that you can even say they were paid enough? I know a lot of military people who are still qualifying for WIC and other forms of help. That is why you have so many single people marrying some friend of the opposite sex for the money. It is too damn hard to try and make it on just what the Gov pays you.

I heard about this last week. Good for the troops. Personally I thought we weren't having any recruiting problems... so the troops volunteer to serve even with the **** pay and hours. I also don't understand why Democrats would want to encourage more people to join the arm forces.

I'm sorry but I just think government spending is out of control, be it military, or otherwise... and I just see this as an expansion of government spending... of course if there's anyone whose worth it, it's the troops... until the troops are obeying unconstitutional orders to trample on the rights of American Citizens. We're probably about 20 years away from that... anyone remember The Running Man...?

Call me when it's no longer newsworthy that the democrats did something for the troops. :)

It will always be newsworthy because of the misinformation that goes on out there. They have been supporting the troops since the 80s, they always have. There is a difference between supporting the military's bloated budget, and supporting the troops, a BIG difference.

Archived