Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW's Narwocki Grades the 2008 Draft

doncherry

Not sure why we're neglecting our needs and you're addressing yours. You said yourself, the Skins basically decided to throw numbers at the problem. Draft three guys, hopefully one of them pans out.

So the skins decide to throw numbers at the WR position, but the Eagles draft another DT for the "rotation". Got it.

The draft for the Eagles was fine in terms of the talent they got. But by keeping Lito and drafting down, they basically said there will be no play at a free agent WR (it's May, but still). I have seen what drafted WRs do for Reid, so I'm not concerned that McNabb has "weapons" to throw to next year. I was when I thought Boldin or Williams was a possibility.

Also, why have the Eagles fans somehow convinced themselves that trading down and drafting eleventeen players only to have a few "high motor" players make the squad is the BEST possible way? That's koolaid of a different flavour than Washington koolaid, that's for sure.

So the skins decide to throw numbers at the WR position, but the Eagles draft another DT for the "rotation". Got it.

I used the term "throwing numbers at the problem" but it was only in translation of bubba's own interpretation of the draft. He said they drafted three because if one hit, then it was a good draft (with a graduated progression of quality for each player that pans out thereafter). So I guess you'll have to take that up with him.

but if one becomes a star its a good draft, if two... then a very good draft, if all three are productive it will be considered a great draft
The draft for the Eagles was fine in terms of the talent they got. But by keeping Lito and drafting down, they basically said there will be no play at a free agent WR (it's May, but still). I have seen what drafted WRs do for Reid, so I'm not concerned that McNabb has "weapons" to throw to next year. I was when I thought Boldin or Williams was a possibility.

I actually think by keeping Lito and acquiring another first round pick they've given themselves the best opportunity to acquire a veteran receiver. Both the Eagles and Skins struck out in making a trade for Boldin, Williams, or Johnson. With Lito in the fold and two first rounders next year, the Eagles may still be able to make something happen if any of those situations escalates between now and opening day.

Also, why have the Eagles fans somehow convinced themselves that trading down and drafting eleventeen players only to have a few "high motor" players make the squad is the BEST possible way? That's koolaid of a different flavour than Washington koolaid, that's for sure.

I'm not sure that the Eagles strategy is the best way possible.

The author of the article was extremely gushy for the Giants/Cowboys and Eagles and their picks are all going to be immediate starters. Yet the Redskins reached and their 1st day picks have bust potential.

Bias like that isn't hard to see.

The author of the article was extremely gushy for the Giants/Cowboys and Eagles and their picks are all going to be immediate starters. Yet the Redskins reached and their 1st day picks have bust potential.

Bias like that isn't hard to see.

I agree with you Old.

How much PT do you see Thomas, Kelly & Davis getting early in the season?

We drafted three guys in the second round that had first round grades yet we consistently reached?

Doesn't every rookie from top to bottom have bust potential? Aren't all late rounders long shots to make the team?

I'm not gonna tear down any of the other teams' draft, because really, the whole division had pretty good drafts. I just think something stinks in his reasoning and application thereof when handing out grades.

I agree with you Old.

How much PT do you see Thomas, Kelly & Davis getting early in the season?

Out of the 3, you're probably going to see Kelly playing Split End on 3 WR sets before Thomas, as Thomas basically will be the the future slot or flanker for this offense.

Davis will see some decoy action this year but I really don't see more than 20 catches in his rookie season.

For what it's worth this clown had both Thomas and Kelly going in the first round in his pre-draft mock. Nary a word about bust potential on either. He lauded both player's playmaking ability.

Not uncommon among the mediots...players they love and championed immediately lose 50% of their talent and are deemed "overrated" or "aging" once the Redskins sign them (see: London Fletcher, Antwaan Randle El as examples). Players that they never said a word about suddenly become perrenial Pro Bowlers that Snyder is chastised for not keeping once the Redskins part ways with them (see: Rod Gardner, Patrick Ramsey as examples).

This phenomenon stretches into the coaching and FO ranks, where being fired by Daniel Snyder automatically ratchets up a coach's or GM's value in the mediots' eyes (see: Norv Turner, Charlie Casserly).

We drafted three guys in the second round that had first round grades yet we consistently reached?

I'd say Devin Thomas had a first round grade by most teams/experts, but Kelly probably didn't after his workouts. And Davis would've been a reach in round 1 the whole time. But all 3 were great 2nd round values.

Out of the 3, you're probably going to see Kelly playing Split End on 3 WR sets before Thomas, as Thomas basically will be the the future slot or flanker for this offense.

Davis will see some decoy action this year but I really don't see more than 20 catches in his rookie season.

I see a decent amount of TDs between the three, though, because I fully expect Zorn to use them a lot in the red zone. Davis may have 25 receptions and 4-5 TDs (think Mike Sellars in 2005).

For what it's worth this clown had both Thomas and Kelly going in the first round in his pre-draft mock. Nary a word about bust potential on either. He lauded both player's playmaking ability.
You beat me to it, they were his second and third ranked WR's both going in the first. I don't get it because this guy usually does a decent job with his evaluations (perhaps is a Redskin hater).

Other then the Redskins poor low grade there were three A's I thought were slightly high, perhaps deserving B+'s, Atlanta Dallas and Miami.

I think Philly drafted pretty well. I especially liked their two mid round OL who will give good depth.

Wait, why didn't tr1 find and post this?

This isn't some legitimate and credible Cowboy hating journalist from East Bumblef*ck Idaho!

This is only the crappy ProFootballWeekly editor of one of the premier Draft publications on the market.

Pay this no mind whatsoever.

Wait, why didn't tr1 find and post this?

This isn't some legitimate and credible Cowboy hating journalist from East Bumblef*ck Idaho!

This is only the crappy ProFootballWeekly editor of one of the premier Draft publications on the market.

Pay this no mind whatsoever.

Somebody needs his diaper changed.

Jackson is basically the new David Palmer. He's probably going to be a good returner, but he's too small to make much of an impact as a receiver. The Vikings also drafted Palmer in the second round.

Jason

I agree with you on this. Especially when you consider the safeties that we have in our division. I can't see him making a living over the middle against any of the NFC East foes. He's just going to have to be careful...

Regardless, I do think that there is a spot for him in this league. The kid sure has talent.

The head-scratcher to me was picking Terrell Thomas in the 2nd round
I agree and don't understand why Narwocki was applauding this Giants 2nd round pick. For goodness sake, he had the guy ranked 92nd and the Giants selected him at pick 63. How isn't that a reach?

Do you think they deserved an A?

I'd put it around a B+. I have no problems with taking Jones over Mendenhall, love the trade up to Jenkins, and taking Choice in the 4th. Scandrick in the 5th was an excellent pickup. I didn't like the Bennett or Watkins picks.

Total BS dribble. Had the DALLAS COWBOYS drafted Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas, and Fred Davis, (as well as QB Colt Brennan) this guy and ALL THE REST OF THE MEDIA would be doing jumping jacks, and RAVING about how unstoppable the Dallas passing attack is going to be. F articles like this....this guy doesn't know anymore about how any player will pan out than YOU AND ME.....

The Skins are having the best off-season in 10 years. What's really going on is this: Dan Snyder is hated around the nation. As a result, this guy who wrote the article doesn't dare write about the high-powered offense that is brewing in Washington. Oh no....they don't even want to think about this kind of possibility. Oh, and the fact that the Skins have been a playoff team 2 out of the last 3 seasons matters nothing to jerks like this guy...

CB Justin Tryon has been considered a steal in the 6th round by the "names" experts

Well, considering he was a 4th round pick, I'm not sure what him being a steal in the 6th has to do with anything? :laugh:

I thought he was a bit of a reach - especially when there were higher rated CBs on the board. But then again, I'm not paid to do this like others are, so I will let them do the job they get paid for. Hopefully Tryon proves me wrong! :)

Well, considering he was a 4th round pick, I'm not sure what him being a steal in the 6th has to do with anything? :laugh:

I thought he was a bit of a reach - especially when there were higher rated CBs on the board. But then again, I'm not paid to do this like others are, so I will let them do the job they get paid for. Hopefully Tryon proves me wrong! :)

:laugh: stupid typo

Nolan Nawrocki: Draft expert or draft idiot?

http://www.nfl-giants.com/archives/003986.html

In hindsight, what do we think of this article ?

New York Giants

The Giants addressed their biggest needs early, and CB Aaron Ross and USC WR Steve Smith should be able to contribute right away. Jay Alford was a reach in the third round. Zak DeOssie is a classic Tom Coughlin pick and improves the special teams. TE Kevin Boss could help replace Visanthe Shiancoe, but their final three picks — OT Adam Koets, S Michael Johnson and RB Ahmad Bradshaw — while all talented, will take a lot of intense coaching to maximize their potential, and they may never get it. With Coughlin’s coaching staff, they might have a chance. Altogether, this draft would be lucky to produce more than a pair of starters, and there is little exciting about it.

Grade: Average

Personally, I suspect this guy wrote the article without ever seeing the final 3 picks he disparages play even college ball. Johson and Bradshaw helped us win the Super Bowl. So did Ross, Smith, Alford, and DeOssie (snapping).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This writer is an ass clown...no wonder a puke fan would post his current drivel on ATN...

:doh:

Archived