Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW's Narwocki Grades the 2008 Draft

doncherry

I have only posted the Grades for the NFC East teams, but for those of you who are curious to see how he graded everyone, here's the Link:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2008/teamgrades.htm

Dallas

With Bill Parcells out of the way, Jerry Jones reverted to his philosophy of drafting immensely talented players with character flaws, with the exception of RB Tashard Choice, who could prove to be the best value of this draft class. CBs Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick upgrade the talent at the position in a major way, but both could struggle to stay in line, especially when paired with Pacman Jones. RB Felix Jones and TE Martellus Bennett bring some playmaking ability for Tony Romo sits to pee. Coming away with additional third- and fourth-round picks from Cleveland and Detroit, respectively, is a plus. The Cowboys benefited from last year’s great draft, having picked up an additional first-rounder this year, and they could land as many as four starters from the 2008 crop.

Grade: A

New York Giants

The Giants filled their biggest needs in the secondary with their first two picks, adding size and versatility to their secondary with the additions of Kenny Phillips and Terrell Thomas. WR Mario Manningham could turn out to be a steal in the third round and should benefit from the presence of former Michigan WR Amani Toomer. Bryan Kehl and Jonathan Goff bring size to the LB position and could help on special teams. QB Andre Woodson and DE Robert Henderson are solid developmental prospects.

Grade: B+

Philadelphia

Not having a first-round pick detracts from the quality of the Eagles’ overall draft, but coming away with the Panthers’ first-round pick next year well positions the Eagles for future success. DT Trevor Laws fits the Eagles’ defense well and should provide instant value in rotational duty. WR DeSean Jackson could be a difference maker as a returner, and the Eagles will have to hope a strong veteran locker room can keep him in check and that he can stay healthy. OLB Bryan Smith brings speed and versatility as a pass rusher. O-linemen Mike McGlynn and Mike Gibson could compete for jobs inside and allow Shawn Andrews to kick to right tackle if needed. CB Jack Ikegwuonu could provide great value next year when he returns to full health. FS Quintin Demps has speed and range, but his tackling deficiencies could be frustrating. LBs Joe Mays and Andy Studebaker have special-teams value. King Dunlap is a size prospect who could provide much-needed depth at tackle. The ability to come away with another first-round pick next year greatly enhances the value of this draft.

Grade: A-

Washington

For the first time in a long time, the Redskins appear to have shifted from a philosophy of acquiring free-agent talent to instead building with youth, as they kept most of their picks this year and traded down several times to acquire more. New head coach Jim Zorn clearly showed how displeased he was with the talent on his roster at the WR position by spending his first three picks on big receiving targets. Devin Thomas, Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly all have upside but also carry considerable bust potential. From Rounds 3-7, the Redskins consistently reached, clearly overdrafting OT Chad Rinehart in the third round. P Durant Brooks could prove to be the best value, coming in the sixth round. S Kareem Moore could develop into a solid special-teams coverage player, but CB Justin Tryon, QB Colt Brennan, DE Rob Jackson and S Chris Horton could all struggle to make the roster.

Grade: C

Interesting. I've read almost exclusively positive reviews of Chad Rinehart up until this point. Many have called him the Skins best pick and others said he could start as a rookie.

As have I...saying the Skins "clearly" overdrafted Rinehart in the third round doesn't quite come across as objective. If he had said the Skins "may" have overdrafted him, that would be one thing.

By the way, what is the "considerable" bust potential for Thomas, Kelly and Davis? I'm assuming it's that Thomas=one year wonder, Kelly=knees and Davis=comes from USC?

I think this dude has something against the Skins. How can you say 'considerable bust potential' when EACH of the three players was drafted lower than they were expected to be (thus they were/are considered good value).

In my eyes...if they gave up a second for a potential first, they minimized their risk.

I think this dude has something against the Skins. How can you say 'considerable bust potential' when EACH of the three players was drafted lower than they were expected to be (thus they were/are considered good value).

In my eyes...if they gave up a second for a potential first, they minimized their risk.

Agreed and good point. Whether they end up being busts won't be known for at least a couple of years.

Washington

For the first time in a long time, the Redskins appear to have shifted from a philosophy of acquiring free-agent talent to instead building with youth, as they kept most of their picks this year and traded down several times to acquire more. New head coach Jim Zorn clearly showed how displeased he was with the talent on his roster at the WR position by spending his first three picks on big receiving targets. Devin Thomas, Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly all have upside but also carry considerable bust potential. From Rounds 3-7, the Redskins consistently reached, clearly overdrafting OT Chad Rinehart in the third round. P Durant Brooks could prove to be the best value, coming in the sixth round. S Kareem Moore could develop into a solid special-teams coverage player, but CB Justin Tryon, QB Colt Brennan, DE Rob Jackson and S Chris Horton could all struggle to make the roster.

Grade: C

Wow, must be a poke fan :laugh:

Chad Rinehart was a late 3rd round pick, how can that be a overdrafting of a guy many had listed as a 2nd or 3rd pick?

CB Justin Tryon has been considered a steal in the 4th round by the "names" experts

could all struggle to make the roster

:obvious:

how many 6th and 7th round picks make most teams... :laugh:

the only thing he got right was The top picks being receivers could be boom or busts as the nature of the position in recent drafts... but if one becomes a star its a good draft, if two... then a very good draft, if all three are productive it will be considered a great draft

Am I the only one who think the Eagles again screwed their draft?

They always seem to trade down and get more picks, but they never go after the playmakers they are always lacking to get over the top. all a bunch of late round picks give you is a couple players who will make the team.... of all the WR they could have chosen, Jackson to me was the biggest risk, and his lack of size (he makes Moss look like a giant) in the NFC East won't help him be a difference maker

I wouldn't be surprised if Philly trades down again with the extra 1st they got next year for a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks :laugh:

They always seem to trade down and get more picks, but they never go after the playmakers they are always lacking to get over the top. all a bunch of late round picks give you is a couple players who will make the team.... of all the WR they could have chosen, Jackson to me was the biggest risk, and his lack of size (he makes Moss look like a giant) in the NFC East won't help him be a difference maker

I wouldn't be surprised if Philly trades down again with the extra 1st they got next year for a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks :laugh:

Am I the only one not surprised that you think this?

Desean Jackson is a playmaker. He was rated every bit as well as the guys you got. They all fell for one reason or another.

In the second round, the Eagles got one receiver that was expected to go in the first.

In the second round, the Skins got two receivers that were expected to go in the first.

Not sure why we're neglecting our needs and you're addressing yours. You said yourself, the Skins basically decided to throw numbers at the problem. Draft three guys, hopefully one of them pans out.

Dallas

With Bill Parcells out of the way, Jerry Jones reverted to his philosophy of drafting immensely talented players with character flaws, with the exception of RB Tashard Choice, who could prove to be the best value of this draft class. CBs Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick upgrade the talent at the position in a major way, but both could struggle to stay in line, especially when paired with Pacman Jones. RB Felix Jones and TE Martellus Bennett bring some playmaking ability for Tony Romo sits to pee. Coming away with additional third- and fourth-round picks from Cleveland and Detroit, respectively, is a plus. The Cowboys benefited from last year’s great draft, having picked up an additional first-rounder this year, and they could land as many as four starters from the 2008 crop.

Grade: A

What character flaws does Felix Jones have? I've heard Mike Jenkins doesn't always give consistent effort, but haven't heard about in trouble he's gotten into?

If I had to grade this draft, I'd give it a B-.

#22 Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas

Good pick, should fit the offense better than any RB available, but Mendenhall shoul've been the pick. Rashard has enough speed to add another dimension to the offense, and can carry the load if Barber got hurt. Dallas must've been really bothered by what Illionois coaches said about Mendenhall's effort and dedication his first 2 years while he was a back-up.

#25 Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida

Great pick. Many wanted him at 22, but we gambled (and correctly I might add) that we could still get him if we took Felix at 22, but probably couldn't get Felix if we took Jenkins at 22. Should become a starter down the road after playing in nickel/dime situations in 2008.

#61 Martellius Bennett, TE, Texas A&M

Not a huge fan of this pick. Would've loved it had DeSean Jackson fell to 61, but when we picked, there was no WR worth picking. We created this need when we traded Fasano, who appearently dissappointed the coaching staff, but it was still a head scratcher. Hopefully Bennett gets more involved than the 14 catches Fasano had each of the last 2 seasons.

#122 Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia Tech

Good pick here as well. A more Marion Barber type RB that gives us some insurance if Barber goes down. Won't be utilized much, but is a great depth pick-up.

#143 Orlando Scandrick, CB, Boise State

Don't know much about him, besides his measurables, which are good. I was a bit suprised we took another CB (figured we'd keep 5 CBs and 5 safties like last year) but I'd rather have 6 CBs anyway. Not to mention he has a lot of upside.

#167 Erik Walden, DE/OLB, Midd Tenn State

Another quality depth pick. Will compete with Justin Rogers (Pats 2007 6th rounder) and Darrell Robertson (2008 UDFA) for the 4th and possibly 5th OLB spot.

The picks alone get a B-, getting DeSean Jackson in rd 2 would've made it an A-. Also when you factor in the 2009 3rd and 4th rounders we picked up, I'd give it a B

Everyone uses the term "bust potential" when discussing WRs, so it's all pretty meaningless. Who is this guy anyway?

DeSean Jackson IS a playmaker, but possibly not at WR. If they were looking for playmaking skills at WR, I'd have gone w/a bigger, stronger target like Kelly or Sweed, but that's just me.

The bug-a-boo with Philly has long been (fair or not) that they don't give McNabb enough WR targets. This is probably a bit unfair b/c they've drafted guys like Freddie Mitchell and Reggie Brown in rounds 1 or 2. That they didn't (or haven't yet) produced lots of fruit doesn't mean they were lousy picks.

I disagree, by the way, that the Skins opted to throw numbers at the problem. I believe they fully expect all three receivers to pan out and give Zorn (and by extension Campbell) options. Philly has their reasons for picking Jackson over Kelly/Sweed -- possibly they were looking for a Devin Hester of their very own. Can't fault them for that.

I like Mike Jenkins and think he was a fine pick, but I actually like Charles Godfrey more. The head-scratcher to me was picking Terrell Thomas in the 2nd round over Godfrey. That, to me, makes no sense.

I know I'm talking about Dallas and NJ in the same sentence.

Desean Jackson is a playmaker. He was rated every bit as well as the guys you got. They all fell for one reason or another.

In the second round, the Eagles got one receiver that was expected to go in the first.

In the second round, the Skins got two receivers that were expected to go in the first.

Not sure why we're neglecting our needs and you're addressing yours. You said yourself, the Skins basically decided to throw numbers at the problem. Draft three guys, hopefully one of them pans out.

:rolleyes: yeah it's just me

lets ignore the rest like....

Jackson wasn't considered a 1st rounder right before the draft, his stock dropped through out the season, and had some red flags, injuries, drops, blocking, focus, poor route runner.... in the WCO big receivers are wanted, Jackson is nowhere near that

he maybe a good return man, but I bet McNair wasn't pleased of all the wr choosen, the Eagles dropped back, then drafted Jackson

or could have had Rashard Mendenhall at 19, image thr rb combo that would have been :paranoid:

yeah you guys should've taken Limas Sweed. that way Jackson would've fell to us :mad:

:rolleyes: yeah it's just me

lets ignore the rest like....

Jackson wasn't considered a 1st rounder right before the draft, his stock dropped through out the season, and had some red flags, injuries, drops, blocking, focus, poor route runner.... in the WCO big receivers are wanted, Jackson is nowhere near that

he maybe a good return man, but I bet McNair wasn't pleased of all the wr choosen, the Eagles dropped back, then drafted Jackson

Ok... So let's focus on all the reasons that Jackson fell, and what, pretend there weren't reasons for Kelly and Thomas' falls? Typical.

All three guys had question marks which directly attributed to them falling to the second round.

I've got no idea who is going to be good out of these three. None at all. What I don't understand is why drafting Jackson is somehow still considered part of the Eagles' continued neglect of the receiver position. He does, you know, play receiver, and he was projected as a first rounder as recently as the week of the draft.

He's not without his warts, none of them are, but McNabb asked for a playmaker and the Eagles drafted one of the consensus picks to be one of the draft's top playmakers. Let's not renegotiate the situation as we go.

I probably would have rathered both guys the Skins got over Jackson. I prefer big, game controlling receivers, and I believe that's the type of guy the Eagles are lacking. The fact that Jackson is not that guy, however, doesn not mean that he doesn't play wide receiver or that he wasn't a projected first rounder.

The Eagles and Skins exercised the same philosophy in the first round. In the second round, the Eagles decided to address multiple needs to a smaller degree while the Skins addressed one need to a greater degree. We'll see what works best in the next few years. But to say the Eagles ignored their need for a playmaker is laughably incorrect.

LOL @ Bubba....

Dude, the Eagles could have drafted Jesus Christ and you still would find away to say something negative.

We get your vibe man.....any player not drafted by the Skins is a potential bust and has something wrong with them because the Skins FO passed on them.

We get that....it's okay....you can breathe now... :D

The Eagles and Skins exercised the same philosophy in the first round. In the second round, the Eagles decided to address multiple needs to a smaller degree while the Skins addressed one need to a greater degree. We'll see what works best in the next few years. But to say the Eagles ignored their need for a playmaker is laughably incorrect.

Add in the fact that the Eagles also got an extra #1 for next season to use as potential trade bait and I'd say that they made out pretty well....wouldn't you say?

Add in the fact that the Eagles also got an extra #1 for next season to use as potential trade bait and I'd say that they made out pretty well....wouldn't you say?

I most definitely would say.

If the Eagles had drafted Jackson at 19 and Trevor Laws at 47 without acquiring an extra pick, no one would be talking about how the Eagles neglected their immediate needs.

I saw one particular Eagle-hater around here say how he couldn't wait for the Eagles to draft another fat o-lineman and ignore their need at receiver. After they didn't do either of those things, he was chirping about how excited Skins should be over the Eagles draft. It's entertaining stuff.

Now we just need to see if any of these guys can play.

Not disagreeing just to disagree...

But I feel that the Eagles are in a precarious situation with McNabb. I think that by trading away their number one this year for the one next year, they have put themselves into a great position to draft a TRUE 1st round talent at the QB position next year.

This doesn't mean that I am implying that Donovan or Kolb will be bad. It merely means that the eagles are leveraging their picks IN CASE it turns out bad. McNabb is getting older and I don't think that the fans can survive more than another year or two with him if he continues to get injured.

I think that most will agree that he is an excellent (or above average) QB when he is completely healthy.

If he ends up playing the entire year, great for him/them. They can use those picks next year for upgrade purposes. (and yes, I do think that they need WR help now - it is a shame that D. McNabbs career has mostly been played with less-than adequate wide receivers) <-- thank god. :)

Archived