Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell's Senior Season at Auburn (WCO) Stats

RonYoungEra

My understanding is that Jason ran a West Coast offense at Auburn during his senior season. The following is a link to see how he progressed through his four years at Auburn (i tried to copy/paste the chart, but it didn't work). Quite the increase in production during his senior year running that WCO! Let's hope for a great season in '08 and beyond!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/player?id=8754&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdraft05%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fid%3d8754

HAIL!

"Campbell has always had excellent size, good athletic ability and above average arm strength, but his poor decision making skills, lack of poise in the pocket, indecisiveness and erratic arm haunted him early in his collegiate career. Throughout his first three seasons as a starter, Campbell consistently held onto the ball too long, threw too many passes up for grabs when he ... "

Funny thing is, they had the same complaints about Campbell his first 3 seasons at Auburn that many of us have had here during his first 2 here. Hopefully that WCO brings Campbell back to his senior year greatness.

Funny thing is, they had the same complaints about Campbell his first 3 seasons at Auburn that many of us have had here during his first 2 here. Hopefully that WCO brings Campbell back to his senior year greatness.

Many of who? His poise in the pocket is mostly what I hear praised about him and I wish he would throw more balls up for grabs, we didn't have a TD pass to a receiver until week 8 last year.....

hopefully the new kids on the block will change that...time will tell

Season Cmp Att Yds Cmp% Ypa Td Int Sack Rat Att Yds Avg Td

2004 188 270 2700 69.6 10.0 20 7 13 172.9 58 30 0.5 3

2003 181 293 2267 61.8 7.7 10 8 25 132.6 73 -1 -0.0 1

2002 94 149 1215 63.1 8.2 11 5 14 149.2 72 206 2.9 3

2001 89 142 1117 62.7 7.9 4 4 15 132.4 46 212 4.6 2

A bit rudamentary, but I tried:)

i feel bad for Campbell with all these offenses to learn. last year he busted his rear end to become more efficient with the offense, now he's gotta do it all over again. it's a good thing he has the mentality that he does, because all this change could break a lot of people.

I wish all the best for QB Jason Campbell. I hope he throws lots of TDs and makes the Pro Bowl, etc. This attitude of "oh, poor Jason....he's gotta learn another new system" needs to be put to rest. Folks, it's football! Throw the ball to the open man.....

Campbell needs to improve his accuracy.....enough already with balls over WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS heads. Todd Collins' play really showed Campbell up.....big-time. This is his season to really show the team he IS the QB. Last year he had chances against Dallas, Tampa Bay,and Philly to bring the Skins back late in the 4th quarter, and he couldn't get it done.

I think the opposite about Campbell basically I think Campbell is the anti-Ramsey, He is a bit weak on arm strength but his decision making most of the time is good (aside for a few big mistakes).

Did you really just say Campbell has a weak arm?

Those balls that were thrown "over receicers' heads" last year will be right at our new receivers' face masks. Last year Jason had to throw the ball to be accurate, which is a weird projectile for a QB, especially when you're trying to get the ball over the d-lines reach. That won't be as much of a problem when he's throwing to receivers that are taller and are able to catch balls at a wider radius. I'm looking forward to a big year for JC!

Jason shared time with Daniel Cobb in 2001 and 2002 and was the starter full-time in 2003 and 2004. His offensive coordinators were Noel Mazzoni, Bobby Petrino, Hugh Nall, and Al Borges. Finally, under Borges and the WCO in 2004, Jason became a totally different animal.

Jason is a great kid and has the skills, the character, and work ethic to be an outstanding NFL QB. I'm sure it would help if he could finally spend 2-3 seasons learning and playing in the same freaking system. In my 50+ years of watching football, I cannot recall a QB having to learn 4 different systems in college and then 3 during his first 4 years in the NFL. I'm sure after Gibbs retired, Jason probably said, "Here we go again."

Throw the ball to the open man.....

That was one of the biggest knocks against JC last year. He was holding the ball too long waiting on the receiver to get open. It's exactly what you don't want to do. In both Saunders and the WCO the quarterback is expected to throw the ball before or just as the receiver makes his cut. Not at the receiver but where the receiver is supposed to be. The only difference is Saunders offense set up vertical passing lanes whereas in the WCO the timing is based on horizontal passing lanes. I'm hoping that once JC gets to know Zorn's offense the timing of the horizontal offense will come back to him since that is the system he had always ran.

I wish all the best for QB Jason Campbell. I hope he throws lots of TDs and makes the Pro Bowl, etc. This attitude of "oh, poor Jason....he's gotta learn another new system" needs to be put to rest. Folks, it's football! Throw the ball to the open man.....

Campbell needs to improve his accuracy.....enough already with balls over WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS heads. Todd Collins' play really showed Campbell up.....big-time. This is his season to really show the team he IS the QB. Last year he had chances against Dallas, Tampa Bay,and Philly to bring the Skins back late in the 4th quarter, and he couldn't get it done.

Alot of young QB's and even veteran QB's don't get it done with the game on the line, see Toney Romo sits to pee (2) back to back playoff games, Todd Collins ( Seattle playoff games with I think it was (2) pick 6's for TD's. And I can name plenty more QB's through out the league that did it too.

Todd Collins did well after Jason was hurt but, in fairness to JC Todd Collins knew the system alot better, and more players was healthy at that time.

But when ole Todd faced the same pressure as Jason faced all year, he crumbled and threw picks and looked like an old man with no foot work and no scrambling capabilities and a noodle arm, and looked "ALOT" worse under pressure as JC.

Put it this way, if others such as you as far as teams in the NFL go thought that Todd Collins could get it done as a starting QB they would have jumped all over him the very first day of his free agency bid to test the waters and see what teams would be interested. "You see where he is don't you" right back here as the backup to Jason Campbell. Virtually no one was interested in Todd Collins even after his 3 game performance in Washington.

Jason has only started 1 1/2 years with 3 to 4 different offenses to learn, give the guy a break already! heck the Giants fans was calling for ELI's head last season and you saw how that turned out and he was in no better shape than Jason was in and ELI has over 4 years of starting under his belt.

The QB position is a "VERY" tuff position to learn and is not as easy as "throw the ball to the open man" hell if it was as simple as that "EVERYONE WOULD WANT TO BE A QB"

Suppose your job changed the function of your job every year and expected you to perfect it your very first try out, how would you feel?

RED06

Todd Collins did well after Jason was hurt but, in fairness to JC Todd Collins knew the system alot better, and more players was healthy at that time.

But when ole Todd faced the same pressure as Jason faced all year, he crumbled and threw picks and looked like an old man with no foot work and no scrambling capabilities and a noodle arm, and looked "ALOT" worse under pressure as JC.

Not even Jason faced the kind of pressure we saw in that Seattle game. Our oline play was ATROCIOUS and, frankly, it seemed like the rest of the team had quit on the game before Todd Collins.

Not even Jason faced the kind of pressure we saw in that Seattle game. Our oline play was ATROCIOUS and, frankly, it seemed like the rest of the team had quit on the game before Todd Collins.

You don't think so? Check the NE, Arizona, and Tampa Bay games and tell me what you think, especially NE. There was constant pressure.

RED06

I wish the bash Campbell forget the instability of another offense would be put to rest. Yeah its so easy to know the nuasances of a new offense and tendencies of new Receivers interpretations in it in less than a year.

If it was just football then 31 other QBs would be probowlers

Good find, I just hope Zorn is the guy for stability's sake. What is this his 7th system, can the man get two seasons in one offense?

He seems to be a good fit for a WCO, he can break the pocket and look for yards on the ground, he can dump it off to backs more often if he reads blitz.

The WCO in my mind is a very efficent way to move the ball, remember a guy named Bill Walsh. I think he might of had a lil success w/ the WCO.

Bill Walsh is 1 of the main reasons teams still use the WCO today, its philosophy to favor a predominantly horizontal passing approach.

If used correctly, teams that bring the blitz can get burned for some Y.A.C.

Just ask a guy named Jerry Rice or Steve Young, or how about a guy named Joe Montana if the WCO is a successful offense or not.

Archived