Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell's Senior Season at Auburn (WCO) Stats

RonYoungEra

He seems to be a good fit for a WCO, he can break the pocket and look for yards on the ground, he can dump it off to backs more often if he reads blitz.

The WCO in my mind is a very efficent way to move the ball, remember a guy named Bill Walsh. I think he might of had a lil success w/ the WCO.

Bill Walsh is 1 of the main reasons teams still use the WCO today, its philosophy to favor a predominantly horizontal passing approach.

If used correctly, teams that bring the blitz can get burned for some Y.A.C.

Just ask a guy named Jerry Rice or Steve Young, or how about a guy named Joe Montana if the WCO is a successful offense or not.

You are talking about 2 qb's that had way more footballs smarts than JC.

Thats the whole philosophy of the WCO, to favor a predominantly horizontal passing approach.

What happens when the WCO is at its best, just go watch some games highlights of Steve Young, Jerry Rice, or Joe.

Bill Walsh is/was the man, he created the WCO.

who knew that his offensive philosphy was geared to attack defenses of the new millenium and beyond.

Just watch any coach that runs a WCO talk about the history and the reasons for its success, its basically a quick throwing, get the ball out or get running offense. I like how it really sets up the run w/ the pass first. Which really negates alot of teams bringing heavy blitz packages.

I think Portis could have a career year in this scheme, barring in major injuries.

Yes you could say that Joe Montana and Steve Young had more football smarts at during and at the end of their careers.

Whos to say that Joe Montana and Steve Young had more football smarts than JC in their 1st year running a WCO in the NFL :whoknows:

I'd say J.C. gotta a few smarts, he has ran how many different offenses.

You don't have to be a Steve Young or Joe Montana to run a WCO and be successful at it anywoo.

Just look at Matt Hasselbeck, Donavan Mcnabb, or Jeff Garcia.

Yes you could say that Joe Montana and Steve Young had more football smarts at during and at the end of their careers.

Whos to say that Joe Montana and Steve Young had more football smarts than JC in their 1st year running a WCO in the NFL :whoknows:

You don't have to be a Steve Young or Joe Montana to run a WCO and be successful at it anywoo.

You are still trying to compare JC to Young and Montana. That is an insult to both of those qb's.

All I'm saying is he hasn't done anything to show me that he has what it takes to be an elite qb.

We reached for him in the draft.

He was decent in college - because - well - it's college.

The game is much faster at this level. The window to throw the ball is significantly smaller.

Basically take what the defense gives you and eventually a big play can be had.

JC has enough smarts to run a WCO, you don't have to be a supersmart QB, but that doesn't hurt.

I'd go as far to say that JC could have his best statistical years under the WCO, as long as he works as hard as the others that were/are still successful at it today.

You are still trying to compare JC to Young and Montana. That is an insult to both of those qb's.

Some guys are a lil slow, heres what u posted and then read how I responded on page 2.

Since you may have skipped or just overlooked it. Reading and comprehending is needed. Either way, you missed the bus on this one :doh:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To enlighten you a lil more, when I mentioned Joe Montana, Steve Young, Walsh.

I was just pointing out the fact that these are the guys that helped make what is called the WCO that still used in todays game and successful.

Nowhere in my post did I try to compare J.C. to these greats, you just missed the bus bro, sorry. Just posting a lil history on the WCO.

Better luck on the next guy huh :thumbsup:

being an Auburn student, I saw the dramatic change to our team after he left. i am confident in JC's ability to run this offense, and I see a big improvement this year. oh and the big receivers help a lot, JC was throwing a lot of balls to Anthony Mix his senior year too.

"Campbell has always had excellent size, good athletic ability and above average arm strength, but his poor decision making skills, lack of poise in the pocket, indecisiveness and erratic arm haunted him early in his collegiate career. Throughout his first three seasons as a starter, Campbell consistently held onto the ball too long, threw too many passes up for grabs when he ... "

Funny thing is, they had the same complaints about Campbell his first 3 seasons at Auburn that many of us have had here during his first 2 here. Hopefully that WCO brings Campbell back to his senior year greatness.

Honestly, I'll give you the erratic arm, but his decision-making and poise are pretty good for a young QB.

All I'm saying is he hasn't done anything to show me that he has what it takes to be an elite qb.

We reached for him in the draft.

He was decent in college - because - well - it's college.

The game is much faster at this level. The window to throw the ball is significantly smaller.

He hasn't shown us much.

The jury is still out as to whether we reached on him or not. We not know the answer to this for a long time.

IMO JC's senior year is an indication of his comfort level with the WCO. Within it he was able to make quick reads, deliver the ball, minimize Ints, and most importantly WIN.

Jason Campbell Wonderlic score - 14

Zombie Wonderlic score - 39

Clearly Zombie has "supersmarts" for being QB. Clearly JC does not. Maybe his brain zombified or maybe it not work very well to begin with. JC has all the ability in the world physically, but in the brain? Not so much.

Zombie think JC better off shambling underneath FedEx field with rest of undead...

JC has the legs to run. With our current OL and their collective injury history that's a good thing.

He has the arm to make any throw. He has the poise to not get flustered.

If all else fails go to the hurry up Shotgun and let him call the plays. He looks GREAT doing that... Kind of rebuffs the 'not smart enough' rubbish. Kind of points to playcalling IMO.

What he needs to work on is hitting the target in stride. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jason Campbell Wonderlic score - 14

Zombie Wonderlic score - 39

Clearly Zombie has "supersmarts" for being QB. Clearly JC does not. Maybe his brain zombified or maybe it not work very well to begin with. JC has all the ability in the world physically, but in the brain? Not so much.

Zombie think JC better off shambling underneath FedEx field with rest of undead...

Why do the JC haters always post the score the first time he took the test as a junior in college. But never post the 27 score he had when he took the test as a senior or the 28 he had at the combine? :doh:

I wish all the best for QB Jason Campbell. I hope he throws lots of TDs and makes the Pro Bowl, etc. This attitude of "oh, poor Jason....he's gotta learn another new system" needs to be put to rest. Folks, it's football! Throw the ball to the open man.....

Campbell needs to improve his accuracy.....enough already with balls over WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS heads. Todd Collins' play really showed Campbell up.....big-time. This is his season to really show the team he IS the QB. Last year he had chances against Dallas, Tampa Bay,and Philly to bring the Skins back late in the 4th quarter, and he couldn't get it done.

I love Jason to death, he is this team, but man I have to agree with you. He really has to have a good season . enough excuses, enough passes. I expect 20+ TD's and no more then 11-12 Int's, at least 3500 yards.

JC17 - its your time baby! :point2sky :point2sky

Many of who? His poise in the pocket is mostly what I hear praised about him and I wish he would throw more balls up for grabs, we didn't have a TD pass to a receiver until week 8 last year.....

hopefully the new kids on the block will change that...time will tell

Right. And the Above Average Arm Strength? Ask Miami what they think of his arm.

I think the opposite about Campbell basically I think Campbell is the anti-Ramsey, He is a bit weak on arm strength but his decision making most of the time is good (aside for a few big mistakes).

There is NOTHING weak about Campbell's arm. The guy has a very strong arm.

Those balls that were thrown "over receicers' heads" last year will be right at our new receivers' face masks. Last year Jason had to throw the ball to be accurate, which is a weird projectile for a QB, especially when you're trying to get the ball over the d-lines reach. That won't be as much of a problem when he's throwing to receivers that are taller and are able to catch balls at a wider radius. I'm looking forward to a big year for JC!

Not to be rude, because I'm looking for a big year out of JC too but...

Unless the new recievers we have are 9'4", or our O-line can stay healthy and straight dominate people...JC will still overthrow them. He was way ahead of them sometimes and way behind (in crossing routes) last year.

I want so badly for JC to light up the league this year. If by chance he has a below average season I cant see it being blamed on learning a new offense, that in my opinion is getting old. I am behind our QB 100% but how many chances does he get? Would you give him this season and the next or is this year his curtian call? With so many weapons on offense we need a QB that can do the job plain and simple.

I once heard a wise man say "I'm giving you a fully loaded Cadillac all you have to do is drive it". Drive it JC, skins fans have stuck by you and that is pretty rare for a QB in DC.

I don't see any big "flaws" with JC personally, the only big concern however is his slow release. He definetly has a bit of a "windup," where a half second can make a big difference. It's interesting, and I pointed this out to friends last yr before the media picked up on it.. Romo sits to pee has a lightning fast release, which helps a lot when he has pressuring coming and he needs to throw it away or get it to a receiver. Campbell on the other hand has a bit of a windup, and he tends to hold the ball low at times (which results in fumbles), rather than high and in his chest. These are my only big "concerns" with him.

He proved last year that his poise is top notch, as well as his arm strength and decision making (I think he did a great job). Yes his accuracy is off a little at times, but that's normal. He had ALOT of dropped balls last yr which certainly didn't help instill confidence. Let's hope he pans out this yr, but so far he looks like a solid QB.. Great though? That's a stretch, but so far a good QB, especially after only 2 yrs playing.. :helmet:

Archived