Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WVU FB Schmitt has high hopes for NFL Draft

squatch66

here you go wvu and owen schmitt fans. article says he has visited the skins. with the holes we need to fill and without our fourth rounder i dont see this happening unless we can trade out of the first and pick up either a third or fourth. i do have to say though that i wouldnt mind seeing him in a skins uniform.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_563441.html?source=rss&feed=9

WVU FB Schmitt has high hopes for NFL Draft

By Tricia Lafferty

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Monday, April 21, 2008

The NFL Draft was a mere possibility for West Virginia fullback Owen Schmitt three years ago.

Because he didn't attract Division I interest in high school, Schmitt played at Division III Wisconsin-River Falls during his freshman season. He rushed for more than 1,000 yards and earned all-conference honors, but Schmitt wasn't content.

So, he walked on at West Virginia before he earned a starting role as a sophomore. Three seasons and more than 1,000 rushing yards later, being selected in this weekend's NFL Draft is a realistic possibility, if not a guarantee, for Schmitt. "I think the biggest thing for everyone is that, just because you're not given an opportunity at first, doesn't mean you have to give up," said Scmitt, who is being looked at as a fullback, tight end and special teams player.

West Virginia, as it turns out, was just the beginning for Schmitt. The 6-foot-3, 260-pound blocker paved the way for one of college football's most dynamic backfield duos in quarterback Pat White and running back Steve Slaton. Playing in the pros is the next logical step for Schmitt, who has met with the Kansas City Chiefs, Detroit Lions, New York Jets and Carolina Panthers at the NFL Combine and visited the Cleveland Browns, San Diego Chargers and Washington Redskins.

"My biggest goal was just to play college football," said Schmitt, who is arguably the best fullback in the draft. "Since that's over now, I'd hate to quit playing football, and the next step is professional football."

Schmitt, along with Slaton, highlights West Virginia's draft class. Eight Mountaineers could be selected, including defensive end Johnny Dingle and wide receiver Darius Reynaud, who are projected to go in the mid-rounds. Defensive tackle Keilen Dykes, free safety Ryan Mundy, linebacker Marc Magro and strong safety Eric Wicks could be late-round picks or priority free agents. "Slaton's a third or fourth round," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "Schmitt's probably a fourth or fifth round. Most of those guys are late rounds or free-agent types.

right, they were not recruited and/or were not offered a scholarship coming out of college. So they try out for the team and make it in some capacity. They may not be guaranteed playing time or they may not even get to suit up for the games, but they are technically on the team.

Rudy comes to mind as a team walk-on. He didn't dress for any games, but he finally got to in his last game as a senior.

I just have a question for members who advocate us picking Schmitt; I'm just curious if you guys have no faith at all in Broughton or is it that you just love this kid Schmitt so much?

Kinda tough with all of his injuries to even know what he is capable of

I just have a question for members who advocate us picking Schmitt; I'm just curious if you guys have no faith at all in Broughton or is it that you just love this kid Schmitt so much?

Speaking for myself only, there are 3 factors-

1. He gives everything he has on every play, for the whole game. During his time at WVU, he was asked to do many things, and he did them very well.

2. He can play a variety of positions, including on special teams. He blocks, tackles, runs, catches and never avoids contact. His speed and size will allow him to take it to the house. The Redskins have been looking for a big possession receiver, and this guy could fill that role, forcing defenses to bring in different personnel to account for him. His YAK could be incredible given his running and the difficulty in tackling him.

3. He is a local guy, and just feels to me like a great fit. Considering the combined running ability of the Mountaineer backfield over his years there, his numbers are incredible for a walk-on.

someone who tries out for the team and makes it. they dont have athletic scholarships or anything, they just "walk on" to the football team.

A college player who basically doesn't have a scholarship to play with the team. They also aren't highly recruited out of high school.

1. He gives everything he has on every play, for the whole game. During his time at WVU, he was asked to do many things, and he did them very well.

2. He can play a variety of positions, including on special teams. He blocks, tackles, runs, catches and never avoids contact. His speed and size will allow him to take it to the house. The Redskins have been looking for a big possession receiver, and this guy could fill that role, forcing defenses to bring in different personnel to account for him. His YAK could be incredible given his running and the difficulty in tackling him.

3. He is a local guy, and just feels to me like a great fit. Considering the combined running ability of the Mountaineer backfield over his years there, his numbers are incredible for a walk-on.

To add to this, he's an absolute monster.

Paging PleaseBlitz to the Stadium...

I like Owen Schmitt but he's not worth taking in the third round which is where people around here would like for us to take him.

Do you really think a pure fullback could fill the role of a big possession receiever? I was thinking more along the lines of drafing a WR who could be our big possession receiver.

Both. I am a WVU alum and season ticket holder. Schmitt is my favorite player in WVU history. Broughton has brought exactly what to the team?

Rodriguez leaving probably had something to do with it.

And Noel Devine coming up behind him.

It is inconceivable to me that the Redskins, or any team, would take a FB before a later round.

FB has to be the easiest position to find a servicable player. It's a tough, thankless, and demanding job, but the skillset required is not that unique. Basically, FB is a special teamer who plays on offense. The difference between "good enough" and "great" is not going to make a huge impact on a team. :2cents:

I wouldn't be happy if they used a high pick on Schmitt. Sellers is still good for a few more years, you have Broughton, and you can cull through UDFAs and pickups from other teams. Hell, you could just pull a bunch of guys off the street and you could probably find one to be a candidate for FB. The Redskins will do just fine without Schmitt - let some other team burn a high pick on him.

When's the last time you heard anyone say "Man, we just have no answer for their FB?" The next time will be the first for me.

It is inconceivable to me that the Redskins, or any team, would take a FB before a later round.

FB has to be the easiest position to find a servicable player. It's a tough, thankless, and demanding job, but the skillset required is not that unique. Basically, FB is a special teamer who plays on offense. The difference between "good enough" and "great" is not going to make a huge impact on a team. :2cents:

I wouldn't be happy if they used a high pick on Schmitt. Sellers is still good for a few more years, you have Broughton, and you can cull through UDFAs and pickups from other teams. Hell, you could just pull a bunch of guys off the street and you could probably find one to be a candidate for FB. The Redskins will do just fine without Schmitt - let some other team burn a high pick on him.

When's the last time you heard anyone say "Man, we just have no answer for their FB?" The next time will be the first for me.

cover_alstott.jpg

Next.

January 1, 2007 when Schmitt had to step into the tailback role due to injuries, had over 100 yards in 3 quarters and averaged 8.4 yards per carry, had 2 TD's, and broke a 52 yarder in the Gator Bowl, in addition to his usual blocking duties for the rest of the WVU run game (which rang up over 300 yards on the ground that day.)

Except for that one pooch punt attempt that he shanked. He made it up for banging his head with his helmet outta frustration. What a crazy mofo!!! I want this guy to be a Skin. As for Broughton, never saw as much nastiness that I see in Schmitt.

I like Owen Schmitt but he's not worth taking in the third round which is where people around here would like for us to take him.

Do you really think a pure fullback could fill the role of a big possession receiever? I was thinking more along the lines of drafing a WR who could be our big possession receiver.

Okay, let me be clear, I am not advocating taking Owen Schmitt on a particular round or pick. I am simply a person who enjoys seeing the kid play, and would love to see him in the Burgundy & Gold.

I think he could (at least occaisonally) be a possession receiver coming out of the backfield. His presense in a reciever or TE slot position could create some pretty difficult match-ups, and his ability to catch and get YAK could free Cooley or another reciever up as well. To my way of thinking, anything that allows the offense to dictate personnel or coverage changes to the defense helps the WCO.

I think that given his abilities, this merits a serious look/pick after round 3 if he is still on the board.

going with this train of thought i wouldnt be surprised if schmitts agent is trying to talk him up as a tight end so that he will not only go higher in the draft but get more money in a contract. everyone knows that tight ends are in far higher demand then fullbacks and i read that schmitt lined up as a tight end in some sets.

January 1, 2007 when Schmitt had to step into the tailback role due to injuries, had over 100 yards in 3 quarters and averaged 8.4 yards per carry, had 2 TD's, and broke a 52 yarder.

And he was injured that day as well with a bruised thigh.

Here's an article from a couple of years ago for anyone interested in learning about Schmitt's incredible journey to this point:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigeast/2006-11-01-wvu-schmitt_x.htm

His story is amazing, and his work ethic is the stuff of legend. He'd be an asset to any team.

January 1, 2007 when Schmitt had to step into the tailback role due to injuries, had over 100 yards in 3 quarters and averaged 8.4 yards per carry, had 2 TD's, and broke a 52 yarder in the Gator Bowl, in addition to his usual blocking duties for the rest of the WVU run game (which rang up over 300 yards on the ground that day.)

Great.

Is Georgia Tech (or any college team) on the Skins schedule this year (or any year)? :silly:

Hey, if the Skins can get him for a 6th or 7th rounder, great. I've read where people think he's going in the 3rd, and I couldn't stand to see that.

Archived