Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WVU FB Schmitt has high hopes for NFL Draft

squatch66

Speaking for myself only, there are 3 factors-

1. He gives everything he has on every play, for the whole game. During his time at WVU, he was asked to do many things, and he did them very well.

2. He can play a variety of positions, including on special teams. He blocks, tackles, runs, catches and never avoids contact. His speed and size will allow him to take it to the house. The Redskins have been looking for a big possession receiver, and this guy could fill that role, forcing defenses to bring in different personnel to account for him. His YAK could be incredible given his running and the difficulty in tackling him.

3. He is a local guy, and just feels to me like a great fit. Considering the combined running ability of the Mountaineer backfield over his years there, his numbers are incredible for a walk-on.

:applause: Just the type of answer that I was hoping for. I don't know anything about Schmitt and was hoping that someone here could give me some feedback on why he is so popular.

Thanks.

Both. I am a WVU alum and season ticket holder. Schmitt is my favorite player in WVU history. Broughton has brought exactly what to the team?

And Noel Devine coming up behind him.

Favorite player? Nice.

BTW, just to clear up any mis-conceptions; I never said that Nemo brought anything to the team. I simply asked if Schmitt fans have given up on him.

I have been fascinated with Nemo since the combine because of his combination of size and speed. And then when we picked him, I had nothing but high hopes.

I believe his first season with us he was listed as a RB. So, when would he ever see the field? Then the next season he was listed as our back up FB but gets injured for the season. The fascination is still there, simply because I feel that Nemo has yet to get a chance to show what he's got.

Great.

Is Georgia Tech (or any college team) on the Skins schedule this year (or any year)? :silly:

Hey, if the Skins can get him for a 6th or 7th rounder, great. I've read where people think he's going in the 3rd, and I couldn't stand to see that.

Honest question: How many games have you actually seen him play in? Sometimes taking Trey Wingo's word for it doesnt give you the whole story.

Alstot in his prime.

Never been a big Alstott fan, sorry.

I think his career was built on opportunity rather than any unique talent. I think many FBs in the league would have had similar production had they of had the same opportunity as him. The Bucs used him because the OCs in Tampa didn't have much else. You'll notice that a defining characteristic of the Bucs offense, while Alstott was at his peak productivity-wise, was how mediocre it was.

When Gruden got there and installed his version of the WCO, Alstott was de-emphasized and became more of a typical, low-stat FB.

Just can't see spending a 3rd-rounder on one of those.

Sellers has scored TDs, too

Call me crazy, but I think if the Bucs had of had Sellers instead of Alstott, they would have been just as successful.

I like Mike Sellers as much as anyone, but you're comparing a guy with 40 rushing ATTEMPTS and 8 total TDs (rushing and receiving) in a 9 year career with a 4x All-Rpo, 6x Pro Bowler who had 71 career TDs and over 5000 yards rushing. (Homer much?)

And as compared to Schmitt, keep in mind that Sellers is 32 years old. That's not exactly a spring chicken when it comes to RB/FB's.

Plus, has he ever been described as a

? :D

Honest question: How many games have you actually seen him play in? Sometimes taking Trey Wingo's word for it doesnt give you the whole story.

Not every game, but quite a few. He's a good player.

FBs just don't have a big role in the NFL. That's the way it is and probably will be. Referencing my previous post re: Alstott, if the Redskins had nothing else going on offense, then a FB may be given the opportunity to make plays. That's not the case, though, and is unlikely to ever be the case.

Sorry, I just don't think a FB is worthy of a high pick in the NFL. Now, if you told me he could be a featured ball-carrier, I'd take note. Then, I still wouldn't want him because the Redskins already have guys to carry the ball :).

Here is a good article to illustrate his work ethic and also his power. It was written prior to his junior year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2339239&searchName=feldman_bruce&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d2339239%26searchName%3dfeldman_bruce%26univLogin02%3dstateChanged

College Footballs Top Workout Freaks:

1. Owen Schmitt, FB, West Virginia: Actually, freak doesn't seem to do the 6-foot-3, 255-pound junior justice. "He's a mutant," says Mike Barwis, WVU's loquacious strength coach. Schmitt is a helluva walk-on story. He's a former 1,000-yard tailback at Division III Wisconsin-River Falls who decided to see if he could play at a higher level. He shopped himself around, reportedly twice approaching Maryland, which finally said they had no use for him. Maybe the UnderArmour school should've at least offered to use him as the company's new pitchman.

Schmitt's outrageous in the weight room. He squats 650 pounds and hang cleans an unheard-of 480. Barwis reports that Schmitt did eight reps at 405 the other day, and "there ain't many people in America who can do it for one." Schmitt's increased power and explosiveness, which translates into a 4.57 40 and a 36-inch vertical, was evident in his 54-yard run in the Sugar Bowl win over Georgia. It was also evident in the two facemasks he bent last season. One of the facemasks sits on Rich Rodriguez' desk in Morgantown.

2. Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech: The 6-5, 235-pound junior is the most dynamic wideout in the country and has the total package. "Along with freakish skills, he has an unbelievable work ethic to match," says Tech director of player development Eric Ciano. "Calvin leads by example and he never complains or quits. His athletic ability is second to none. His first semester at Georgia Tech, Johnson vertical jumped 43 inches and had a standing long of 11-2. He has run consecutive 4.3 40-yard dashes at 235 pounds. He also power cleans over 330 pounds with ease. His strength, speed, and explosiveness are unmatched."

3. Jon Abbate, LB, Wake Forest: The 5-11, 245-pound rock, who is Wake's tackling machine, benches 474 pounds, hang cleans 440 and power cleans 392 without using straps. "Every day he's always doing something extra," says Wake strength coach Ethan Reeve. Abbate's also a coverboy for Reeve's one-arm power program. The junior does sets of seven presses with a 160-pound dumbbell on the bench. He also has his 40 time down to 4.5.

4. Luke Sanders, LB, LSU: The redshirt sophomore is a name you will hear a lot about this fall, predicts Tiger strength coach Tom Moffitt. "He's kind of a prodigy," says Moffitt. It doesn't hurt that Sanders' dad was a strength coach and he came to Baton Rouge pretty well versed. Sanders arrived weighing about 225 and now goes 242. He clocks a 4.5 in the 40. He can do five reps of one-leg step-ups (onto an 18-inch box) with 242 pounds.

5. Adrian Peterson, TB, Oklahoma: The 2006 Heisman favorite turns plenty of heads in the Sooners' weight room. Most impressive feat: Peterson can hold an 80-pound dumbbell in each hand and make a standing jump to the top of a 36-inch wooden box.

Notice the other names on the list that are regarded as physical freaks of nature, like Adrian Peterson.

I like Mike Sellers as much as anyone, but you're comparing a guy with 40 rushing ATTEMPTS and 8 total TDs (rushing and receiving) in a 9 year career with a 4x All-Rpo, 6x Pro Bowler who had 71 career TDs and over 5000 yards rushing. (Homer much?)

And as compared to Schmitt, keep in mind that Sellers is 32 years old. That's not exactly a spring chicken when it comes to RB/FB's.

Plus, has he ever been described as a

? :D

I explained my thoughts on Alstott above. Was he better than Sellers? Yeah. But, if you're going to use a FB in the traditional capacity, I just don't think it matters much.

Sellers seems like a guy who can fill the FB role for several more seasons, so I don't worry about his age. You can groom a traditional FB to replace him far more cheaply than a 3rd-rounder.

Not every game, but quite a few. He's a good player.

FBs just don't have a big role in the NFL. That's the way it is and probably will be. Referencing my previous post re: Alstott, if the Redskins had nothing else going on offense, then a FB may be given the opportunity to make plays. That's not the case, though, and is unlikely to ever be the case.

Sorry, I just don't think a FB is worthy of a high pick in the NFL. Now, if you told me he could be a featured ball-carrier, I'd take note. Then, I still wouldn't want him because the Redskins already have guys to carry the ball :).

Well, i guess thats just where out opinion's differ. I think FB's are very important and probably the most underrated guys on the field.

Well, i guess thats just where out opinion's differ. I think FB's are very important and probably the most underrated guys on the field.

That's cool.

FTR, I never said FBs didn't play an important role. Every position on a team fills an important role. If someone breaks down on a play, it usually doesn't succeed. And the nature of the position leads to it being "underrated".

We just differ on our belief that a premium FB makes much of a difference over a merely solid FB. If the solid FB that I got cheaply turned out to be great, then all the better. I would just never pay a premium for a great FB. When I'm budgeting for my team, it's one of the positions that I scrimp on (both financially and draft picks).

Regarding Broughton: Yes, I have given up hope for him. The man is always hurt. It doesn't matter how good a player you are if you are always hurt.

Regarding Schmitt, I think there is a point here that some people miss.

He can play TE too. Is a third round pick too high for a TE?

So the question becomes: what value is added to a player who can serve multiple purposes?

I understand, the team has many needs; thus, we will probably address whatever is deemed the highest priority.

In my opinion, Schmitt is worth a 3rd round pick because of his versatility.

That's cool.

FTR, I never said FBs didn't play an important role. Every position on a team fills an important role. If someone breaks down on a play, it usually doesn't succeed. And the nature of the position leads to it being "underrated".

We just differ on our belief that a premium FB makes much of a difference over a merely solid FB. If the solid FB that I got cheaply turned out to be great, then all the better. I would just never pay a premium for a great FB. When I'm budgeting for my team, it's one of the positions that I scrimp on (both financially and draft picks).

I understand that sentiment. I see spending a 3rd or 4th on him as a value pick. Not only do you get a kick ass fullback that is a crushing blocker and a pretty good runner, you add some other key things.

He's great at short distance situations, he was only tackled in the backfield once in his entire college career.

He has the flexibility to not only play fullback or tailback, he's lined up at TE as well. He also played special teams.

He's one of those guys that brings a tough attitude to your whole team. The guy regularly BREAKS FACEMASKS for crying out loud. :laugh: His intangibles are tremendous, especially his attitude and work ethic.

I got a feeling he is going to be a Mike Alstott clone................

Also, for the Alstott fans, the Bucs lined him up at TB when he was at his most productive. He wasn't playing FB during that time. Again, when Gruden moved him to FB, his productivity declined considerably.

Schmitt will NOT be getting that # of opportunities on the Redskins. There are too many other horses in the stable.

pb / chaught / eerskins....

what would be the threshold for you guys as far as when we drafted schmitt (hypothetical, of course)?

i think with all the needs we have, rd. 3 is too high. of course, i'd be happy if we drafted him no matter what, but i'd like it to be in the 4th round at the earliest.

I understand that sentiment. I see spending a 3rd or 4th on him as a value pick. Not only do you get a kick ass fullback that is a crushing blocker and a pretty good runner, you add some other key things.

He's great at short distance situations, he was only tackled in the backfield once in his entire college career.

He has the flexibility to not only play fullback or tailback, he's lined up at TE as well. He also played special teams.

He's one of those guys that brings a tough attitude to your whole team. The guy regularly BREAKS FACEMASKS for crying out loud. :laugh: His intangibles are tremendous, especially his attitude and work ethic.

Hmmm, maybe.........

Nope, no, I'm not gonna get sucked in. No FB before the later rounds. A man has to stick by his principles.

:cheers:

what would be the threshold for you guys as far as when we drafted schmitt (hypothetical, of course)?

i think with all the needs we have, rd. 3 is too high. of course, i'd be happy if we drafted him no matter what, but i'd like it to be in the 4th round at the earliest.

I'd say round 3, when the Redskins draft, will probably be the right spot for him.

Then again, I named my son after him, so I'm not exactly objective here... lol

EDIT- Keep in mind that the Skins have 2 3rd round picks.

I guess it depends on a lot factors.

If we trade down and acquire more 2nd and/or 3rd round picks, then I think a third round pick is fine.

I doubt he makes it to the 5th round, so depending on how Coach Z and company have him ranked I guess trading up into the fourth is a possibility.

As long as Dallas doesn't get him, I wish Schmitt the best where ever his career may take him.

For some perspective, Alstott was taken in the 2nd round. IMO we shouldn't spend a 3rd on him because of our other needs. If we had a fourth I wouldn't mind spending it on him but we don't. I'm also pretty sure he won't be around for our 5th round.

As I see it we can either look for a scrub to be Sellars' backup and hope for no injuries or we can draft a future pro-bowler and have them both.

Think of the short yardage sets we can put out...

Sellars is good, no doubt about it. Schmitt could well be great. Worth a punt with our 3rd comp IMO. People may say no FB should be taken that high but then some people were saying no way Brandon Albert should be taken in the 1st not so long ago....

If he is projected on our boards to be as good as some think he is easily worth our 3rd comp pick. If he only turns out to be as good as Sellars is now he is worth our 3rd comp pick.

He will sell a butt load of jerseys too :silly:

EDIT: To see why he would click here and watch a few of the listed videos

i know we have 2 3rd rounders, i can't remember where the comp. pick is in the 3rd....if it's at the tail end, and he's available, take him.

owen schmitt in a 'skins uni will break all record levels of man crush for me. :D

Hahaha, man I couldn't have said it better. I LOVE that sig btw. Major. I wish I could find the clip of the touchdown by Schmitt against Oklahoma. That was amazing, the hurdle and all.

Archived