Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Chad Johnson DEMANDS Trade

WizSkinsO's

Amazingly didn't see this posted yet. Search function isn't working so please have mercy if it has.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3349761

Johnson says he won't attend team functions, demands trade

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: April 16, 2008, 2:25 PM ET

Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson left no room for doubt Wednesday: He wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengal function -- mandatory or voluntary.

What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by quarterback Carson Palmer that indicated Johnson had told Palmer he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Johnson is skipping the team's offseason workouts as he tries to push for a trade. But the Bengals have also made it clear that they have no plans of trading him.

The Pro Bowl wide receiver said he was surprised by Palmer's comments about his possibly reporting to mandatory camp.

"I wish he would stay out of my business,'' Johnson said.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

GO GET HIM!

I hate seeing this. How would we feel if it was Portis demanding a trade? I feel for the Bengal fans. Knowing a guy wants out, what team is going to offer fair value for him. I don't like the precident this sets for the league.

I really think Redskins should make a push for him. If they plan on drafting a WR , I would rather see them have Chad Johnson than any rookie right now. Everyone says his attitude is a problem, but his attitude is that he doesnt want to play for the Bengals and just wants to win. Now with his demands two other teams from the NFC East are going to want him. Eagles are probely gonna offer Lito and a draft pick and Dallas is going to offer some draft choices. Now the question is do we have enough to trade for him?

I hate seeing this. How would we feel if it was Portis demanding a trade? I feel for the Bengal fans. Knowing a guy wants out, what team is going to offer fair value for him. I don't like the precident this sets for the league.

Boo frickedy who. It's great news for us. We can get a premiere WR for a lot cheaper than we should now.

The Bengals have treated him like crap the last few years, they deserve it.

And it has officially has hit the fan. I predict he will be wearing the B&G by the end of the draft. And I am not sure how I feel about it.

Clarification: I love Johnson, but if (and it is a big if) Boldin or Roy Williams were available, I would rather go after them. Just due to them being younger. I am not worried about the theatrics, I think they are exactly that. He is not a bad seed, he just wants to get the hell out of Cincy.

Boo frickedy who. It's great news for us. We can get a premiere WR for a lot cheaper than we should now.

The Bengals have treated him like crap the last few years' date=' they deserve it.[/quote']

I am not agreeing one way or another, but how in the heck has the Bengals treated him like crap? When he asked for an extension with a big raise, he got one. He gets all the balls thrown to him and has an elite QB.

So again, how do the Bengals deserve this?

I am not agreeing one way or another, but how in the heck has the Bengals treated him like crap? When he asked for an extension with a big raise, he got one. He gets all the balls thrown to him and has an elite QB.

That's what I am wondering as well.

The Bengals have treated him like crap the last few years' date=' they deserve it.[/quote']

How do you figure the Skins can get him at a cheap price? It's going to cost at least a 1st and 3rd round draft picks, which is way too much for this mini TO, and then he's going to want a new contract with a lot of guaranteed money in it. We're better off staying put and letting this guy be a nuisance for another team or the Bengals. Also there's no way the Bengals take an $8 million cap hit by trading him before June 1st.

They've made him insanely rich, focussed the offense around him, tolerated all his stunts, and provided him with an elite QB and top notch #2 receiver.

Aside from performing a sexual act, what else can Brown and Lewis do for the guy?

Do you really think he is going to be happy here the tenth time Jason Campbell is a little late on a crossing pattern? At what point does he start comparing Jason to Carson Palmer?

What is this dude's problem. It's not like Cincinatti is the Bengals of old. They were a playoff team 2 years ago and have one of the best offenses in the league. From football talent wise, I'd love this guy but it's the TO argument all over agan, can you live with his antics, I say no

Because they suck.

Chad doesnt think the organization is doing enough to help the team win.

Happens with athletes all the time in sports. Kobe complained, and instead of the dealing him the Lakers pulled off a once in a lifetime deal and landed Gasol. You can't do that in the NFL, in the NFL, it takes patience. Chad wants out and he's going to have to be dealt.

I feel like the Bengals need to start over from scratch. Way to many off the field problems and not enough winning on the field.

Give them our third round pick for Chad and maybe another late pick.

Hell, the Pats got Moss for a fourth so I wouldnt give up anything other than a third for Chad.

Mark it down....if he goes ANYWHERE its here or Philly. I sure as hell dont want him here....but I also sure as hell dont want him in Philly. I think id rather him here

Don't forget about Dallas...he is going to end up in the NFC East, and it is going to start a ripple effect for the other teams.

I certainly understand him not wanting to play for the Bengals but I understand the bengals point of view as well. No player should ever be able to hold a team hostage where the salary cap is concerned. This is where the NFL needs to set a new precedent and grant the Bengals some type of cap relief so they can trade him.

Players should never, ever hold the upper hand in a situation like this.

Players should never, ever hold the upper hand in a situation like this.

I agree, but it does happen all too often. There are very few teams that have the sack to stand up to their players in situations like this (New England, Philly, Tampa Bay) and for some reason, I think Cincy will fold.

I don't know how I feel about the guy, I really don't.

I guess my main question... is what would he be traded for? I mean if it's a Randy Moss type thing where we send a 3rd rounder, I feel like we'd be stupid not to.

The guy is a beast on the field, you can't take that away from him. And say what you want about the Redskins FO, but I think they have a pretty good track record of dealing with problem players. The Archuletta/Lloyd/Coles things, while ugly, never were allowed to escalate to the point where it was tearing apart the locker room, or even a real distraction. Even Lavar... who tried his absolute best to :pooh: on the franchise, was ultimately unable. We cut his ass and moved on... just like we did with those other guys (sans Coles)

Those situations were ugly only because it was the wrong move to make in the first place. Not because it turned into a TO situation.

So I guess I say... why not. Though I certainly won't be upset if he DOESN'T come here... I won't act like a screaming 3 year old if he does (which, let's face it, most of you drama queens are champing at the bit for :) )

Archived