Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Chad Johnson DEMANDS Trade

WizSkinsO's

Does anyone on this board have a grasp of the salary cap implications for the Bengals? I have read conflicting reports and here is what I have surmised:

The Bengals wait till after June 1st in order to split the cap hit over two seasons ('08 & '09). The cap hit will be about 8 million over those two years.

I also read that if the redskins pay him 3.25 million this year then the cap hit for the bengals will be reduced by 3.25 million in '08. Is this right? Any cap gurus please help me out.

If the cap hit is 8 million for the Bengals if they trade before June 1st, then I don't think it is going to happen. If I'm wrong, I'd give a third round pick at best.

He is worth the 21st pick.

Limas Sweed= not sure to be a game breaker

James Hardy= not sure to be a game breaker

Malcolm Kelly= not sure to be a game breaker

Devin Thomas (who is not going to be there when we pick anyway)= not sure to be a game breaker

Chad Johnson= proven game breaker. I know, he has attitude issues, but I will almost guarantee those will simmer down once he is out of Cincinnati. I don't agree with it, but I really think his antics are just his way (or Drew Rosenhaus') to get him out of Cincy. I don't think a lot of what we see in the media is the real Chad Johnson.

Honestly, I just can't help but see hints that Ocho-Cinco is coming to DC. I mean, we cut our 85, cleared a TON of cap space and did NOTHING with it, made no big signings, heard the FO say they wanted CJ here, and now, this close to draft he's reiterating how much he wants to be traded... I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that on April 26th, we Skins fans hear news of CJ being a Skin for several draft picks... Anyone else getting this feeling?

I also read that if the redskins pay him 3.25 million this year then the cap hit for the bengals will be reduced by 3.25 million in '08. Is this right? Any cap gurus please help me out.

Incorrect. The 8 million he counts for on the Bengals cap is money he's been paid in the form of a bonus by the Bengals. The only way the Bengals would be off the hook for it, is if Johnson gives the money back.

He's a beast on the field but he's acting immature. I used to be an advocate that he would be worth a 1st round pick, but I'm losing interest more and more.

I am with you. I used to be all for him. I am still in favor, but this is starting to get a little old.

I see your point, but I don't think it is quite the same scenario. I think Chad just wants to win, and has been frustrated by the Bengals. They are one of the most penny pinching teams in the NFL and with a few strategic signings, they could hhave been one of the elite teams in the NFL over the last couple of years with the amount of talent that they have had.

Their offense has been great, but they have let so many defensive players walk and have not spent jack to replace them. You are not going to win games late in the season with a great offense and no D. The Bengals have not done the things to win, and the Redskins will do almost anything to win.

I feel for the fans of the Bengals, but I also feel for them when they constantly watch their best DB's leave and get replaced by b-teamers. The organization needs an overhaul, and it is not going to happen any time soon. Chad Johnson knows that.

You see, I DON'T believe that Chad Johnson just wants to win, because his actions and statements suggest otherwise and are not conducive to creating a winning atmosphere.

I've never heard him even talk about wanting to play for a winning team. He says nothing about what the Bengals have done as an organization to field a winning team. He just says it's about getting paid. It's about what's best for Chad Johnson. He says it's about respect, yet he gives no respect.

I've never heard words come of of Johnson's mouth that suggest he has any respect for the game or for winning. It's all about his own personal glory and wealth, teammates be damned.

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Redskins to give up players or draft choices for this guy, then re-do his contract. I don't care how talented the guy is (and he's not as good as he thinks he is). It sends a terrible message to Redskins players if they deal for Johnson.

That means we may be able to low ball them if there isn't much competition around.

There will be though and that's what scares me. There is going to be a few bidders, including other teams in the NFC East. I fear that someone is going to overbid, just to keep him away from divisional foes. And I fear that may be us.

I saw on NFLTA that he was seriously about to tear up when he was talking about trying to "Take care of Chad" and "Do what's best for Chad." I can't stand that **** - when someone refers to themselves in the third person. Get over yourself bro.

I want Chad Johnson but....

The question is what to give up for him. First I will review why he would be perfect for this team.

1. Chad is a legit playmaker

2. Chad will allow Moss to move to a number 2 position, where he will be much better, and allow ARE to move to his natural position of the slot

3. Everyone is learning a new system, so no one will be out of place due to a trade

4. An offense with Chad, Moss, Portis, ARE, and Cooley is a legit threat to lead the league in points, based on talent.

5. Portis and Moss are some of his best friends, thus he wont be able to act out, unless they allow it, and if they do, we have bigger problems.

Now the issue is what to give up:

1. Jwalk was traded for a 2nd rounder a few years back

2. Chambers was traded for a 2nd rounder during the year

3. Moss was traded for a 4th rounder.--obviously a steal.

So it seems a 2nd round pick *should* do the trick.

I never wanted to draft a WR, i think it would be a horrible idea. I want OL and DL (2 of each with our first 4 picks). Trading for Chad obviously means one of those 2 positions gets less picks.

I think on OL we need solid young depth that can start in the next 1-3 years. I think on the DL we have alot of "deph" quality guys but need another stud to go with AC. Thus if there are no stud DL players in round 2 or 3, i say trade the second rounder to get chad.

Maybe we can work out a deal of a third plus something...

I wont suggest that I want Chad Johnson here because to be quite honest I'm on the fence with Chad Johson. #85 certainly brings it every sunday, but I question what would happen if things didn't go well with him (as he's acting out in Cinncy).

Maybe hes just fed up I think its a little bush league how he's airing it publically but maybe he feels this is the best way to get him out of dodge.

All I will throw out there which I have numerous times is that I feel that Vinny and Dan will sit down after the draft, and figure out how to get Chad Johnson here. I think the plan all along was to use this draft as a tool to add depth through this roster.

BUT saying that I also feel that Vinny and Dan (Dan mostly) wants the big time WR. I think Vinny will use a first and a third in 09' to get Chad in here after June 1st.

For the record, I always found the girl who played Bailey, alot more hotter than Loni Anderson. I think her name was Jan Smithers. She had that bookworm hotness to her.

Agreed. She was TJ Houshmandzadeh to Loni Anderson's Chad Johnson.

Limas Sweed= not sure to be a game breaker

James Hardy= not sure to be a game breaker

Malcolm Kelly= not sure to be a game breaker

Devin Thomas (who is not going to be there when we pick anyway)= not sure to be a game breaker

Chad Johnson= proven game breaker. I know, he has attitude issues, but I will almost guarantee those will simmer down once he is out of Cincinnati. I don't agree with it, but I really think his antics are just his way (or Drew Rosenhaus') to get him out of Cincy. I don't think a lot of what we see in the media is the real Chad Johnson.

He is a Floida guy and is already friends with Portis and Moss. I am sure he will be popular in the locker room. I can't wait to see the celebration the first time Portis throws CJ a TD. Costume day will also be more interesting.

I want Chad Johnson but....

So it seems a 2nd round pick *should* do the trick.

I never wanted to draft a WR, i think it would be a horrible idea. I want OL and DL (2 of each with our first 4 picks). Trading for Chad obviously means one of those 2 positions gets less picks.

I think on OL we need solid young depth that can start in the next 1-3 years. I think on the DL we have alot if "deph" quality guys but need another stud to go with AC. Thus if there are no stud DL players in round 2 or 3, i say trade the second rounder to get chad.

Maybe we can work out a deal of a third plus something...

I think there would be a higher offer from a different team.

Incorrect. The 8 million he counts for on the Bengals cap is money he's been paid in the form of a bonus by the Bengals. The only way the Bengals would be off the hook for it, is if Johnson gives the money back.

Thanks, dfbovey. This is a true test to see how serious he is about leaving CIN. If he agrees to give back money, then a trade before the draft is a definite possibility.

Archived