Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Skins Turn Draft Evaluation to O, Working Out Jarod Mayo, Kelly, ETC.

elkabong82

Ahh, once Reid shows up JLC is back to covering current, team-related news.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/14/AR2008041402483.html

Redskins Are Switching Sides

As Draft Weekend Approaches, Focus Turns to Offensive Needs

By Jason Reid and Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writers

Tuesday, April 15, 2008; E03

The Washington Redskins resumed preparations for the draft at Redskins Park yesterday, shifting their attention to offense after primarily focusing on defensive players last week.

"We're getting there," Coach Jim Zorn said. "We've got a lot of the defense done, most of the defensive board, and now it's on to offense. I think everyone in the organization is" pleased with the progress.

Since early last week, Zorn and Vinny Cerrato, executive vice president of football operations, and their staffs have met for about 16 hours a day, reviewing videotapes of players and discussing options, Cerrato said. Washington, which holds the 21st pick in the April 26-27 draft, also has scheduled visits this week with draft-eligible players. Former Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly and former Tennessee linebacker Jerod Mayo are among the players the Redskins plan to host.

The Redskins have nine picks (they do not have a fourth-round selection), including three compensatory picks -- an extra one in the third round and two additional seventh-round picks. Washington has needs along the offensive and defensive lines, at wide receiver, cornerback and safety. The Redskins also plan to select a quarterback to fill the No. 3 job behind starter Jason Campbell and backup Todd Collins.

"It's still a work in progress, but we're making good progress," Cerrato said. "The scouts, coaches, everybody . . . you can tell that they've all done a tremendous job of preparing for the meetings. And the meetings, thus far, have been very productive.

"Everybody has been very forthright about the players. There's a good understanding in the room of what we need to do as an organization. So the preparation is going well, we've got two more weeks of preparation and we're going to take advantage of the time we have."

Some mock drafts have the Redskins selecting Kelly with the 21st pick. At 6 feet 4 and 224 pounds, Kelly fits the size requirements of a big wide receiver, and the Redskins hope to provide Campbell with a bigger target as they make the transition to Zorn's version of the West Coast offense.

There is more inside the link also. Malcolm Kelly seems to be more of an assumption, though he will be working out for us. We will be looking at Mayo out of TN (good player), and that Vinny, the coaches, and scouts aren't clamoring for one specific position, rather all have put their faith in the BPA system. I recommend clicking on the link and reading the whole thing, not just this summary (which I got from Bubba's post of this in the breaking news section.

"No one is in the meetings saying that they've got to have this position or that position. Everybody is on board with getting the best guy, and the right guy, for the Redskins. There's no coach in there saying, 'I've got to have him.' That's totally not happening. It's all about what's best for the team."

-I like it, :cheers: :point2sky

Sweet, definitely bring in Jerod Mayo! Although I would not spend a first rounder on him, need or not. LB is not a need for us anyways, but I don't think Mayo is worth a 1st round selection. Of course he won't last far in the 2nd either.

Sweet, definitely bring in Jerod Mayo! Although I would not spend a first rounder on him, need or not. LB is not a need for us anyways, but I don't think Mayo is worth a 1st round selection. Of course he won't last far in the 2nd either.

I don't know, that guy is a monster. I don't think 1st round is a reach, but at the same time I would hope we wouldn't pull the trigger on him

I still contend their BPA system entails taking the highest rated player that FILLS A NEED. Unfortunately for us, we don't know how they are grading each guy.

Even though he may fit well on paper, I'm still not sold on Malcolm Kelly. Sure, he has no problem going across the middle and that's something we need, especially in a WCO, but blaming his alma-mater for the way they set up OU's Pro Day, thus causing his poor 40 times, sends up a red flag for me.

IF we go receiver in round 1, I'd prefer Sweed, Thomas or Hardy.

It's looking like there will be no 1st round caliber Offensive Linemen left at #21 other than Gosder Cherilus and he's projected as a RT. With Stephon Heyer backing up John Jansen at that spot, picking him doesn't make sense. Sam Baker is a possibility since he can probably play both Guard and Tackle but I think he'd be a bit of a reach at that spot.

That leaves D-Line, LB and the secondary. Now we can narrow down players based on those spots. I'm guessing, if it's NOT a WR, our first round prediction will be one of the following:

DE - Phillip Merling (While Calais Campbell and Quentin Groves are possible, I don't like them at #21)

DT - Kentwan Balmer (not the right fit IMO), Trevor Laws (a bit of a stretch here) *NOTE* I don't think we take a DT at all in round 1.

LB - Keith Rivers, Jerod Mayo

CB - Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib, Antoine Cason (A bit of a stretch here)

S - Kenny Phillips, Reggie Smith (a bit of a stretch)

IF we go defense, my best quess is Merling, Rivers, Mayo, Jenkins, Talib or Phillips.

IF we go offense, my best guess is Sweed, Thomas, Hardy, Kelly with Baker as a longshot.

So there you have it. I'll stake my non-existant reputation that we will draft one of those eleven players at #21.

If we trade down, all bets are off. :silly:

Kiper has Mayo as the 17th best player in the draft on his big board, McShay has him going 19th to the Eagles. For those that say he's a reach in the first round, looks like the ESPN guys would argue back.

The rap on Mayo is very good, he's a super fast side line to side line LB with pass rushing skills, can play outside and inside LB.

I like that they are interested in Branden Albert

id love Albert but think hes gonna be long gone. but with a lot of the OL stocks rising there could be someone to slip to #21 we previously thought a longshot.

my ideal draft at this point is to trade down and grab james hardy and Trevor Laws/Dre Moore. we'll be able to find a trade partner looking for either flacco or one of the other QB's still on the board.

For the first time in a while, the Skins FO seems to be on the same page as us in terms of what our needs are. Reading this article really, really makes me excited for the draft!

:cheers:

It is OBVIOUS what our holes are, I am happy they will hopedully fill a bunch of them.

It is OBVIOUS what our holes are, I am happy they will hopedully fill a bunch of them.

We've been talking about these holes for a while (OLine, DLine, WR) but it only seems like this year is when they've finally taken notice and are addressing them. Regardless, I'm happy to read a report like this. :)

So there you have it. I'll stake my non-existant reputation that we will draft one of those eleven players at #21.

If we trade down, all bets are off. :silly:

Of course your non-existent reputation will also remain intact if the Redskins select someone who falls to #21 that wasn't expected to be there.

I still contend their BPA system entails taking the highest rated player that FILLS A NEED. Unfortunately for us, we don't know how they are grading each guy.

Personally, I think any player who improves a position is a positive, even if it doesn't address a big need. For example, if we go LB in the first round, that is very likely to help the team in the long-term, even if it isn't a need now.

It's looking like there will be no 1st round caliber Offensive Linemen left at #21 other than Gosder Cherilus and he's projected as a RT. With Stephon Heyer backing up John Jansen at that spot, picking him doesn't make sense. Sam Baker is a possibility since he can probably play both Guard and Tackle but I think he'd be a bit of a reach at that spot.

There is a lot of talk of teams wanting to move tackles inside. If they find a good candidate to do that, I can't complain. I have the feeling that linemen who are versitile are going to be more valuable than those that aren't.

We've been talking about these holes for a while (OLine, DLine, WR) but it only seems like this year is when they've finally taken notice and are addressing them. Regardless, I'm happy to read a report like this. :)

Actually, until last year, O-Line didn't need to be addressed. Fact is, no one drafted was going to crack the starting lineup. Now is the right time to address that. The team has tried to address WR for some time, since well before Gibbs got here. As for D-Line, they have done some things, but I certainly haven't seen a stud that we should have picked.

Jason

Here is what Vinny said:

"The comments Coach Blache has made is that he wants the best player for the Redskins. That's it," Cerrato said. "When the pick is made, I think that's the one thing we have with our scouts, coaches and everybody in the organization . . . we all just want to do what's in the best interest of the Redskins.

"No one is in the meetings saying that they've got to have this position or that position. Everybody is on board with getting the best guy, and the right guy, for the Redskins. There's no coach in there saying, 'I've got to have him.' That's totally not happening. It's all about what's best for the team."

Here is my extremely cynical translation:

"Man, am I ever glad we got rid of that pushy loudmouth Gregg Williams! Greg Blache is much more pliable. Now I can forget about picking a pass rusher in the first round and pick a wide receiver instead. That's a much sexier pick that Mr. Snyder is sure to like. He even told me which one he likes best."

Of course your non-existent reputation will also remain intact if the Redskins select someone who falls to #21 that wasn't expected to be there.

Absolutely! I tried to plan for that but who knows what kind of monkey wrench will be thrown into the works. It's just an EDUMACATED guess based on the endless mocks I've poured over. I'm pretty sure it will be one of those eleven but Vinny and Company and "outsmarted" me before. ;)

Here is what Vinny said:

"The comments Coach Blache has made is that he wants the best player for the Redskins. That's it," Cerrato said. "When the pick is made, I think that's the one thing we have with our scouts, coaches and everybody in the organization . . . we all just want to do what's in the best interest of the Redskins.

"Man, am I ever glad we got rid of that pushy loudmouth Gregg Williams! Greg Blache is much more pliable. Now I can forget about picking a pass rusher in the first round and pick a wide receiver instead. That's a much sexier pick that Mr. Snyder is sure to like. He even told me which one he likes best."

:laugh: That's actually a pretty good translation. I think Danny will have an easier time forking over money to a receiver than another DB, LB or trenchman. I'm getting more and more convinced that, if we don't get Albert or Merling, we'll take a receiver.

Here is what Vinny said:

Yes, that is pretty cynical. :laugh:

However, what if there aren't really any pass rushers at 21 who are worth that pick? Campbell has a bust potential that is as big as he is. I have a feeling Merling will be a solid pro but not a big pass rushing threat; more of a run stopping DE. Balmer doesn't really fit our needs as much since he is more of a run stuffer and not a 3 technique DT that Vinny said they are looking for.

Archived