Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Skins Turn Draft Evaluation to O, Working Out Jarod Mayo, Kelly, ETC.

elkabong82

would not be too surprised to see the skins make a move for albert. they have the ammo and have basically kept their powder dry by sitting out free agency. if they feel strongly enough about him and he's on the board when denver picks they could pull the trigger on him.

would not be too surprised to see the skins make a move for albert. they have the ammo and have basically kept their powder dry by sitting out free agency. if they feel strongly enough about him and he's on the board when denver picks they could pull the trigger on him.

Do you realize how much they would have to give up to go from 21 to 12? No thanks. We finally have a bunch of draft picks and you want to use them up so we can move up and pick up a guy who's hype has rocketed him up the draft boards?

Albert would be just what the Dr. ordered, but only at #21. The cost would be too high imo to be moving up to #12 to select him...if he's even still on the board at #12. We need all of our picks to address numerous needs.

We could fake everyone out by taking Flacco at #21. Then trade him to Atlanta for two 2nd rounders. Instead of swapping picks 1st and allowing the Falcons to take Flacco. I would be :mad: at the pick, then :laugh: after the trade.

Do you realize how much they would have to give up to go from 21 to 12? No thanks. We finally have a bunch of draft picks and you want to use them up so we can move up and pick up a guy who's hype has rocketed him up the draft boards?

what is your definition of hype? the guy sounds solid to me.

Strengths:

Excellent size with a big frame and long arms...Fantastic athlete...Good quickness and agility...Strong and physical...Is nasty with a killer instinct...Mobile with decent range to pull and get to the second level...Smart with good awareness...Excellent pass blocker and also gets a decent push in the run game...Real versatile..Leader with great intangibles...Tough and durable..Still improving and has a lot of upside.

Weaknesses:

Still has some work to do in the technique department...Can be inconsistent with his leverage...Motor runs hot and cold at times..Not a dominant run blocker...Has to work on holding his blocks and finishing....He is still relatively new to the game.

Notes:

Did not begin playing football until his junior year of high school in 2002..Was also a standout basketball player as a prep...Stepped in as a true freshman and was a three-year starter for the Cavs ( 36 games )...Named a team captain as a junior in 2007...He started a couple of games at left tackle as a junior in place of an injured Eugene Monroe and could possibly play outside at the pro level as well...First-rate talent with exceptional physical tools....Already a great all-around player however his best days are still ahead...The rare offensive guard who is a legit first rounder.

what is your definition of hype? the guy sounds solid to me.

My definition of hype would include any player who, after the season, the combine, and pro days is predicted as a late 1st round pick and then suddenly is a top 10 or even top 5 pick for no obvious reason other than the media suddenly decided that he could be a Tackle in the NFL even though he only played 3 games at Tackle in his college career.

I would love for us to draft Albert, but there is no way we should trade up an higher than to the 17th spot.

The 21st pick is worth 800 points. Denver's 12th pick is worth 1200. We'd have to give up our 2nd rounder, and we'd still be 30 points shy, meaning we might have to give up a 5th rounder to boot. If we were going to give up that much to move up to 12, I imagine it would be for Sedrik Ellis or Derrick Harvey if they fell to 12.

The 17th spot is worth 950 points, and the 150 point difference would be covered by our 3rd, worth 165. The only problem is at 17 someone really good would have to fall there who is worth a 1st and a 3rd.

So I guess what I am saying is that someone really good is going to have to fall far to warrant a trade up, and that probably isn't going to happen.

My definition of hype would include any player who, after the season, the combine, and pro days is predicted as a late 1st round pick and then suddenly is a top 10 or even top 5 pick for no obvious reason other than the media suddenly decided that he could be a Tackle in the NFL even though he only played 3 games at Tackle in his college career.

sounds like a government job announcement taylor made for a hand picked uncles brothers nephews resume.

how about this:

had a disastrous senior season. battled injuries for the first part of the season playing in only 6 games and catching 19 passes for 306 yards and 3 TDs. Then in early October he suffered major ligament damage to his wrist requiring season ending surgery

nfc east is a pass rushing haven. no doubt the giants bring it, the eagles always bring it and the cowgirls are bringing it with ware, ellis and spencer. bring in a guy with albert's pass blocking ability and JC just might get some sleep at night. injecting youth into a 30 something group of o linemen is also something to be desired. i'd rather go up and get a quality guy instead of drafting a bunch of mediocre depth.

I'm kinda surprized they are bringing in Mayo. Unless they have some doubts about Rocky's rehab and the long term condition of his knee. Mayo is pretty beastly and being from Knoxville, I'd love to have him as 'Skin. But, I dont really see it happening.

sounds like a government job announcement taylor made for a hand picked uncles brothers nephews resume.

how about this:

had a disastrous senior season. battled injuries for the first part of the season playing in only 6 games and catching 19 passes for 306 yards and 3 TDs. Then in early October he suffered major ligament damage to his wrist requiring season ending surgery

nfc east is a pass rushing haven. no doubt the giants bring it, the eagles always bring it and the cowgirls are bringing it with ware, ellis and spencer. bring in a guy with albert's pass blocking ability and JC just might get some sleep at night. injecting youth into a 30 something group of o linemen is also something to be desired. i'd rather go up and get a quality guy instead of drafting a bunch of mediocre depth.

Yes I'm sure anyone can play the "find a scouting report and only copy and paste the weaknesses portion" game. You asked for how I define hype related to Albert and I gave it to you. The guy simply isn't worth a top 10 pick. He is very athletic but he is also raw technique wise and, despite what people seem to think, is a Guard, not a Tackle or even a T/G or G/T. He is a Guard who played Tackle in 3 games in his career. Hype is when your stock soars for no concrete reason. He managed to get himself into the 1st round with a good combine and pro day. Then suddenly he wasn't a Guard anymore but a G/T and is a top 10 pick? Please.

Albert all of a sudden seems to be going in mocks at #5 to the Chiefs. Maybe he drops down closer to us and that seemed likely a few weeks ago but not now.

Both McShay and Kiper has us getting Merling now. I can live with that. I am guessing either Jenkins or Talib drops to 21. So it would be an interesting choice.

Mayo might not be a crazy choice though. We focus a lot on the D line but LB has potential problems. You have London Fletcher who is great but he's 33. Then you have Marcus who I believe is around 30 and has been injured on and off the last 2 years, then you got Rocky coming off of a major injury and has a history of knee problems.

What happens for example if both Rocky and Marcus go down early? LB all of a sudden could be a problem ala another seemingly position of strength did for us last season -- the O Line.

Mayo can play all 3 linebacker positions. MLB is becoming more and more a key position in this league and what if HB Blades isn't the guy one day to replace London -- some say he is some say he isn't.

The one thing that concerns me about Blades is one of the scouting reports about him I read indicates that he DOESN'T have London's sideline to sideline speed, he's a good tackler but not super fast. Mayo's drill is he is super fast, and an excellent side line to side line guy.

Having a stud LB who can fill in any role might be valuable next season.

Yes I'm sure anyone can play the "find a scouting report and only copy and paste the weaknesses portion" game. You asked for how I define hype related to Albert and I gave it to you. The guy simply isn't worth a top 10 pick. He is very athletic but he is also raw technique wise and, despite what people seem to think, is a Guard, not a Tackle or even a T/G or G/T. He is a Guard who played Tackle in 3 games in his career. Hype is when your stock soars for no concrete reason. He managed to get himself into the 1st round with a good combine and pro day. Then suddenly he wasn't a Guard anymore but a G/T and is a top 10 pick? Please.
albert is rising up the boards because he is impressing football coaches around the league, period, end of hype.....(well maybe a little hype, i wouldn't take him with a top ten pick).

Having a potential 1st round pick not do as well in the 40 as expected, then place the blame elsewhere...

At a recent workout for NFL scouts at Oklahoma, Kelly had a disappointing performance in the 40-yard dash. And after being clocked at 4.68 seconds, Kelly raised eyebrows in making critical comments about Oklahoma and how the workout was conducted.

That attitude just sounds a bit too much for my taste like a certain #85 that just hit the bricks.

how about this:

I agree, not sure how much I would want to give up in a tarde, but it's not just about drafting 9 players, it's about getting players that will develop into starters in the future and possibly pro-bowlers.

I know it is a crap shoot regardless, but we have to maximize the value of our picks. It does no good to draft OL or DL in the 5th 6th and 7th rounds, and then bank on them being able to even make the roster.

Having a potential 1st round pick not do as well in the 40 as expected, then place the blame elsewhere...

That attitude just sounds a bit too much for my taste like a certain #85 that just hit the bricks.

He also apparently threw his shoes while he was complaining about it. :laugh:

Characterized as "quite animated" after the workout, Kelly bemoaned the decision by Oklahoma representatives to hold the 40 on FieldTurf and was seen arguing with officials and even throwing his shoes in anger.

http://sea.scout.com/2/745058.html

Albert all of a sudden seems to be going in mocks at #5 to the Chiefs. Maybe he drops down closer to us and that seemed likely a few weeks ago but not now.

Both McShay and Kiper has us getting Merling now. I can live with that. I am guessing either Jenkins or Talib drops to 21. So it would be an interesting choice.

Mayo might not be a crazy choice though. We focus a lot on the D line but LB has potential problems. You have London Fletcher who is great but he's 33. Then you have Marcus who I believe is around 30 and has been injured on and off the last 2 years, then you got Rocky coming off of a major injury and has a history of knee problems.

What happens for example if both Rocky and Marcus go down early? LB all of a sudden could be a problem ala another seemingly position of strength did for us last season -- the O Line.

Mayo can play all 3 linebacker positions. MLB is becoming more and more a key position in this league and what if HB Blades isn't the guy one day to replace London -- some say he is some say he isn't.

The one thing that concerns me about Blades is one of the scouting reports about him I read indicates that he DOESN'T have London's sideline to sideline speed, he's a good tackler but not super fast. Mayo's drill is he is super fast, and an excellent side line to side line guy.

Having a stud LB who can fill in any role might be valuable next season.

I could live with this scenario as well.

Archived