Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stuff to do in Hawaii

JeffSchmeff

So I'm going to Hawaii on Tuesday for a wedding, and will be there for a week. I'm spending Tuesday through Friday night in Oahu, and Saturday through Monday nights in Kauai. I'll be back in Oahu for most of the day Tuesday, then flying back to DC that night.

Can anyone provide any fun/can't miss things to do, or great places to eat? This will be my first time visiting, so any info would be appreciated.

Jeff

Diamond Head hike is cool. Definately go to Pearl Harbor and see the Arizona Memorial. And don't just hang out around the Honolulu/Waikiki area. Try to make it to the North Shore...it's a beautiful area.

Go to Waimea Bay. It is pretty damn nice. I got the worst sunburn of my life there!

Walk to the top of Diamond Head. Helluva view.

Don't forget to bring a flash light.

There's Sea Life Park, Haunuama Bay Snorkeling, Polynesian Cultural Center, or you can charter a boat for fishing.

Ala Moana Shopping Center has a ton of stores and restaurants. Don't forget to sample each of the restaurants in the Food Court. There's a bunch of bars and restaurants on the 3rd floor facing the ocean.

While in Hawaii you may also want to try some of the popular chili from the Zippy's restaurants.

That's all I can think of for now.

If you go to pearl harbor you have to see the USS Arizona, but you can actually get on and walk around on the USS Missouri. The Japanese surrendered to us on this ship. Also do not forget to enjoy the beach. Their are some really nice beaches along the eastern shore of Oahu. It is amazing the sand feels like velvet, yet on the southern shore the sand is very coarse.

So I'm going to Hawaii on Tuesday for a wedding, and will be there for a week. I'm spending Tuesday through Friday night in Oahu, and Saturday through Monday nights in Kauai. I'll be back in Oahu for most of the day Tuesday, then flying back to DC that night.

Can anyone provide any fun/can't miss things to do, or great places to eat? This will be my first time visiting, so any info would be appreciated.

Jeff

I had an excellent Delmonico at Hy's Steak house in Honolulu.

I also remember Kintaro in Kapa'a on Kauai and I thought the nigiri and rolls were very good.

Kauai has amazing rainforests and a hike to the crater of Mt. Waialeale is something you should do, but it may be a little wet this time of year (meaning dangerously wet). Get a guide if you are at all afraid of getting lost, because you probably won't see anyone the entire day. There are plenty of outfitters that arrange hikes to the crater. They can tell you if it's even safe this time of year.

If you have only one day on Kauai, go to the west part of the island and drive up Waimea Canyon. A great hike is the Awaawapuhi Trail, which takes you great views of the Na Poli Coast. Catch the sunset after your hike at about the 3 mile marker if I remember correctly.

Beaches on Kauai are all great. I think I liked Tunnels the best.

And one thing I thought would be over rated was a helicopter ride over Kauai. I was very wrong. It was well worth it. You get to see every waterfall, and this time of year they will be spectacular.

A previous poster already mentioned Hanauma Bay as a possible

destination for you. If you do go there make sure you ask some

one how to get to the Halona Blow Hole.And I would also

recommend that you visit Sandy Beach. When I was young

we use to bodysurf there and it was alot of fun.

But if you surf or swim there be real careful. The waves

can get really huge and have very strong currents along

with them. A lot of people break bones there.

Also go to the Pali Lookout....it has some of the best

views on the island.

Oh yeah,every place I just named is on Oahu. :notworthy

It depends on what you want to do. If you just want ot sit on a beach, stay in Waikki. If you want to see some other stuff, rent a car and drive around the island. Don't leave the hotel until about 9am, because traffic BLOWS. Tha is UNLESS you are going to see the Arizona, which I highly recommend. Do what you have to do, but be there by 7-7:30. Tickets are first come first serve, the lines get huge and they run out of tickets usually by lunch.

Gotta head out. All the other suggestions that people posted are good ones, but you WLL NOT be able to do everything and will run yourself ragged if you try

PIck some stuff, take time an enjoy

I'll be there in June:)

IF you have other questions, shoot me a PM

Archived