Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Malcom Kelly Draft Stock Dropping Big - Still Slow as of 4/16(merged)

2006Skins

The obsession of the 40 is mind boggling. You guys realize the difference between a good 40 and a bad 40 is barely the blink of an eye right? A good Wr more then makes up for this with route running and precision. Jerry Rice the best Wr to ever live never ran faster than a 4.65. Anquan Boldin also had a "slow" 40 time. I cant believe no one has mentioned Kelly's 4.24 short shuttle. If he drops he will become another standout like Boldin. Look at all the bums in the league who can run an impressive 40, you can count them by the dozens. How many of them do you count on to make a play in the 4th quarter?

Sorry, but I'll take the 6'4 230 pound receiver who can go up and make a play.

Oh my god those are horrible times.

And great time to bring up Peter Warrick because that's exactly what came to my mind.

If that is the case keep Kelly far away from Dillards. :laugh:

illard's department store incident

On September 29, 1999, during Warrick's senior season at Florida State, Warrick and teammate Laveranues Coles went to a Dillard's in Tallahassee and bought $412.38 worth of clothing for $21.40--a discount so large that it is considered shoplifting under the law. An off-duty officer saw what happened through a surveillance camera, according to police. Warrick, Coles and the clerk, Rachel Myrtil, were arrested for grand theft. On October 22, Warrick pleaded guilty to misdemeanor petty theft in connection with the department store scam. At that year's rivalry game between Florida Gators and Florida State, Gators fans brought Dillard's bags to Florida Field in order to mock Warrick. Florida State won the game, and Seminole fans returned the mocking by requesting the bags as souvenirs.

At the time of his arrest, Warrick was considered by many as the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy Award with 36 catches for 508 yards and four touchdowns on the season. The Seminoles receiver was scoring touchdowns on highlight-film type runs and receptions and was in the national spotlight every week. Following the arrest, Florida State suspended Warrick for two key games (Coles, who paid for the clothes, was kicked off the team; he'd been suspended earlier in the season). The two-game suspension, along with the negative publicity he received in the national media, ended any chance for Warrick to be awarded the Heisman Trophy. At season's end, Warrick was not invited to the Heisman Trophy Award Presentation at the Downtown Athletic Club, and finished sixth in the overall voting.[1] The trophy was awarded to Wisconsinrunning backRon Dayne.

The obsession of the 40 is mind boggling. You guys realize the difference between a good 40 and a bad 40 is barely the blink of an eye right? A good Wr more then makes up for this with route running and precision. Jerry Rice the best Wr to ever live never ran faster than a 4.65. Anquan Boldin also had a "slow" 40 time. I cant believe no one has mentioned Kelly's 4.24 short shuttle. If he drops he will become another standout like Boldin. Look at all the bums in the league who can run an impressive 40, you can count them by the dozens. How many of them do you count on to make a play in the 4th quarter?

That being said, add that in with the questions about his knees, it isn't good for your draft stock.

Jason

I agree that too much is made of 40 times, but that being said - speed is the most important measurable, and this will likely cause his draft stock to fall. But we should quit debating whether or not it's deserved or not, because WRs falling into the later rounds is really what we need. We can't risk our #1 on any of the WRs, so we need to hope that we will be able to pick some one up in rounds 2 or 3.

agree with this!

If his knees are okay then this 40 time means ZERO to me. 40 times are vastly overrated. As has been stated already, Boldin ran a similar time and is one of the best in the league. There is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, more to being a good WR than running fast in shorts. Just ask Troy Williamson.

I agree that too much is made of 40 times, but that being said - speed is the most important measurable, and this will likely cause his draft stock to fall. But we should quit debating whether or not it's deserved or not, because WRs falling into the later rounds is really what we need. We can't risk our #1 on any of the WRs, so we need to hope that we will be able to pick some one up in rounds 2 or 3.

playing speed is the best measurable,not how fast a guy runs in shorts. I'd compare the NFL combine to that of a weathermans forecast,sure the science in it is right,but the predictions based of those aren't.

some of the NFL's best WR's ran a 4.6 or slower but they're explosive on the field and that's what matters most.

Oh my god those are horrible times.

And great time to bring up Peter Warrick because that's exactly what came to my mind.

Yeah.....I don't even know Kelly....and honestly not sure I have even seen him play.

What I do know is that Warrick was playing the best defenses in the country, was always double-teamed......still dominated the league, and almost won the Heisman.

Then he got to the combine and ran nearly identical times to Kelly.

If Kelly wasn't double-teamed, didn't play the best defenses in the country, and didn't get mentioned in the top 20 of Heisman candidates--beware.

Yeah.....I don't even know Kelly....and honestly not sure I have even seen him play.

What I do know is that Warrick was playing the best defenses in the country, was always double-teamed......still dominated the league, and almost won the Heisman.

Then he got to the combine and ran nearly identical times to Kelly.

If Kelly wasn't double-teamed, didn't play the best defenses in the country, and didn't get mentioned in the top 20 of Heisman candidates--beware.

By your own admission, you've never seen him play. Sorry, but you can have all the numbers and 40 times and statistics. At the end of the day, game film is the only real way to evaluate a player. And to me, the game film speaks for itself. The guy can play in this league and he's going to be solid. I would have no problem drafting him.

While agree with the majority of poster here in principle, 4.7 is just way too slow, not a little slow. This should not brink Warrick to mind, he was a anm unbelievable athlete who relied on his speed and never was any type of route runner, in the NFL speed is not enough. Add in multiple knee injuries and Warrick loses his elite speed and is out of the league. Kelly should remind you of Mike Williams.

Why do players still run the 40? If a guy's fast, you would obviously be seeing it on video. I think scouts watch enough video of each player to judge how fast each is. And scouting departments are big enough to be able to get some scrub to calculate every player's speed.

Well Carlos Rogers ran a 4.3 40 and he never gets burned so 40 times must mean something. Factor in 4.28 Mathis and his career receiving numbers and 40 times are obviously the only way to judge talent. There have been to many times teams and fans get tricked into players and hype players based upon track and field numbers.

Seriously though look at a WR/DB three cone drill times, short shuttle, and vertical leap. Those three drills measure explosion and agility, much more helpful in the NFL then running straight fast. Give me a WR who can get in and out of breaks clean and fast over a track star.

Archived