Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what happens if Laron Landry goes down?

CPAllTheWay012

The ****in guy writes "Suicide Mission" on his stomach before every game. I mean that's all macho and all. But he does it without a mirror, so that means he's doing it upside down. The man knows no pain I tell you.

:laugh:

My first thought was not far off of this one.

On a serious note we'll probably be drafting at least one Safety and I imagine we'll bring in veteran backup sometime after the draft just as we have with Stoutmire 2 of the last 3 years.

Okay, is Stoutmire staying or is he not? I'm sorry, but he's gotta get tired of the whole sign-cut-lather-rinse-repeat thing. The guy's well into his thirties. How many more chances does he give us before he starts looking for a team that will actually keep him on the roster for more than two games? There are a few younger S out there in FA if the FO wants to pull the trigger on another backup. Mike Doss, Mel Mitchell (beastly large for a S at 225 lbs...), Hanik Milligan...just grab somebody. They've been hanging out there on the market for weeks.

Or draft a guy. Take your pick...no pun intended.

Another reason our 2006 defense was horrible was because we had no pressure on the QBs (starting with the defensive line). We finished with 19 sacks during the season, a franchise low. They set another NFL record with only 12 turnovers, the worst of any NFL team period in a 16-game season.

Our 2006 defense was horrible because we had no pressure on the QBs? starting with the defensive line? Did you even watch last season? We didn't "improve" the DL with a pick in the draft or a big-name free agent last year along the DL and our defense improved to top 5... Please... We could use with an upgrade at both DL and SS... Stop pointing to 2006 as a reason we should choose one player over another. It wasn't the DL then and that was proven with what happened last season when we fixed the secondary and LBs.

You can look at every team in the NFL, at every position in the NFL, and at most of them, you can ask "What happens if so and so goes down". An NFL team cant afford to have 22 starters, and 22 backups who are starter quality. If LL goes down, so what? What if Payton Manning goes down? Larry Fitzgerald? LT? Adrian Peterson? You can play the what if game till you are blue in the face. Just because its possible for someone to get injured doesnt mean you go out and spend your 1st round draft pick on a backup. Why didnt you ask "What happens if Andre Carter gets injured?" and suggest we draft a DE with the 21st pick?

I understand the concern, but lets draft players at positions where we don't have quality starters and then we'll worry about drafting backups. I find it highly unlikely that Landry will be injured this year. He's like a heat seeking missile and the way he plays he's almost never in a position to hurt himself, just other people.

The big IF question.. but shouldn't we consider it?

We've been talking about building depth at the safety position and such but shouldn't we be after another talented player at that position to compliment Landry........

We need a replacement at safety--as bad as that sounds........

Laron Landry is emerging as a star and the best thing we can do is to give him another adjacent partner. Not only do we increase our depth, we get another playmaker, and in case Landry goes down, he's there to fill the void. This situation would be much better than having Landry injured with no one who to fill his shoes. Plus, if Landry is healthy the idea is that we are "safe" at that position.

I agree that we need a safety. But, not a starter. We need depth at safety.

To answer your question..."So what happens if Landry goes down?"

It depends on what Blache plans to do in the secondary. I Blache plans to keep Gregg's scheme of Landry playing a 'deep' centerfield FS, then if Landry went down we would probably switch to a more basic 2 deep/cover 2 style scheme. This scheme places less emphasis on a player with Landry's skill set. The safeties in cover 2 both play a deep half of the field, neither play center field. I guess that Vernon Fox would come in and play the other safety spot. (In 2006, he played in 16 games, with six starts in 2006, recording 42 tackles and one interception.)* Thankfully it appears that the often burned PP will not be returning.

*from redskins.com

-IMO we should draft a young FS in the later rounds (5-6-7)

Corey Lynch

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/corey-lynch?id=4273

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AQZqkcubYjQ

Michael Grant

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/michael-grant?id=1716

D.J. Wolfe

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/d.j.-wolfe?id=1676

We have more pressing than safety early in the draft.:cheers:

We've got bigger problems then speculating on injury. McIntosh and Rogers are injured now. Will probably not be ready to play this season. Chances are they may be done as top notch players. We need replacements for them as well as the plethora of other holes on this team.

The big IF question.. but shouldn't we consider it?

We've been talking about building depth at the safety position and such but shouldn't we be after another talented player at that position to compliment Landry. Yes.

2006 appeared to be a promising year with big-name acquisitions on the team including Adam Archuleta. Injuries piled up on the team and soon people began to realize Archuleta wasn't helping the situation. The defense was obliterated by teams and ranked #31 when everything was set and done. The coaches felt obligated to restore the previous ranked #9 D and made key moves to get London Fletcher, Fred Smoot, and Laron Landry.

2007 came and the rejuvinated defense got the job done. They finished #8 in the NFL and were much accustomed to stopping the big plays that killed the team in 2006. At the same time, however, Sean Taylor, an instrumental part of our defense was taken in a tradegy. His backup, Reed Doughty, played solid, but lacked the "play-making" ability that Sean was known for.

Now, we're approaching the draft and a hot debate his whom or what positions we should include in our plans. Many people have us attacking D/O lineman early or drafting a tall receiver (IMO a mistake because receiver is slightly undermined here). Wrong. We need a replacement at safety--as bad as that sounds.

What is more important a safety or D/O lineman? Well since the lines involve more "group" work, members can "pick up the slack" for a struggling individual and make the weak spot less obvious. Lacking a safety, however, is like painting a big red target in the deep field. You need them to stop big plays and support the run against offenses.

Laron Landry is emerging as a star and the best thing we can do is to give him another adjacent partner. Not only do we increase our depth, we get another playmaker, and in case Landry goes down, he's there to fill the void. This situation would be much better than having Landry injured with no one who to fill his shoes. Plus, if Landry is healthy the idea is that we are "safe" at that position.

Obviously, the player I'd love the Skins to grab is Kenny Philips, who appears ready for his role in the NFL. He's got a great attitude and he could be what we need at safety. Personally, I don't want the Redskins to go through another 2006 defensive year and I believe we should take the precautions in prevention. Clearly, the lack of a secondary, was instrumental in why we had that.

Name one player out there that does have the play making ability that Taylor was known for.

As far as the other highlighted point goes. I completely disagree w/ you. You win and lose a football in trenches. This is the line of scrimmage. That is the most important part of any team.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

We can't have piecemeal pass rush, and 3 1st round picks in the secondary. Without a pass rush, the best corners get burnt. We need to spend 2 of 4 top picks on DL.

And do you remember Campbell being injured and lost for season on blown pass coverage after half OL hurt--those guys are a little older than Landry, only one even under 30.

So let's see. . .do we draft some pass rushers, and have a 2nd OL under 30 protecting our most important player, QB, or load up at positions like S, WR, CB, etc.

Late round safety, fine, anything else is the same bass ackwards. Championship teams are built through the trenches. Unless some very highly ranked player plummets, our first four picks should be 3 linemen and a WR.

We've got bigger problems then speculating on injury. McIntosh and Rogers are injured now. Will probably not be ready to play this season. Chances are they may be done as top notch players. We need replacements for them as well as the plethora of other holes on this team.

I don't think this is a very accurate or fair statement. A) Carlos "No D" Rogers never was a top notch player (in my opinion), and B) Rocky is young and athletic enough to come back from this injury.

Let me answer your question, with another Question? What happens if Jason Campbell goes down? Well we got Collins, but is that a long term answer? no.

What about Moss, or Are?

What about if Fletcher, or Washington, Golston, or Montgomery Go down?

We are thin all around.

Geez, can't we give Doughty some time to keep developing? Everyone says he was solid but lacked the 'play-making ability'. What the heck do you want from a guy that stepped in to fill some big shoes? If he plays solid then I'd say it's a no brainer to keep giving him the role for now.

Very good post and thanks for this thread (question).

If Laundry goes down, it depends on the player of course, in this case you said Laundry so that would be synonymous with Sean going down or would have similar impact. And you must immediately make in game adjustments as to how you're going to combat what the opponent will be scheming to attack.

But this is a very good question in that Coach Williams always felt that one player going down did not offset what and how we would continue to do business during the course of a game. Coach Williams always felt that an injury doesn’t change a game plan or what I like to call “battle rhythm”. But he always felt that a player should be able to step up and the "D" would not have to incur a huge change. Well, I tended to always think differently. My premise is: when Sean went down in the Philly game, his area of the field became what I refer to as a known area of interest, what I refer to as a KAI or an A. K. I. and Philly went to work. Using his absence to set up a middle screen that proved decisive.

Let me answer your question, with another Question? What happens if Jason Campbell goes down? Well we got Collins, but is that a long term answer? no.

What about Moss, or Are?

What about if Fletcher, or Washington, Golston, or Montgomery Go down?

We are thin all around.

Doesn't matter. Two perennial Pro-Bowl Safeties is all a team needs to win Super Bowls... :laugh:

I would not be surprised at all if we went with a safety in rounds 1-3.

Blache has already said that he wants to build the defense from the back forward, which means putting a premium on DBs, then LBs, then line, and I'm not sure how I much I agree with that, but he's the one paid the big bucks.

The only thing that worries me about Greg Blach is that he knows "Willie " Stewart, HC for Anacostia H.S. on 16 th St, S.E., Washington D.C. So I don't know where he gets building the "D" from the back forward probably from Willie. But I wouldn't do that. First of all you need to ask yourself does Daughtery fill the void or rather suffice until we can address the safety need. Well, a lot of members have already said no.

But the main reason I wouldn't go the from the back to the front is because, if you do go that route you need to take the Cover 2 out of your play book. You can't run a cover 2 scheme if you can't rush the QB. I'm speaking of consistently. We can? With who and how? Oh Carter can get there alright but not consistently. Remeber I was one of those who wagered $6K on the Giants in the Super Bowl. So although Brady thought they would score more than 17 points he forgot that the Giants had a running game and he didn't. Just for starters.

Also is this year written off because of our HC change?

The only thing that worries me about Greg Blach is that he knows "Willie " Stewart, HC for Anacostia H.S. on 16 th St, S.E., Washington D.C. So I don't know where he gets building the "D" from the back forward probably from Willie. But I wouldn't do that. First of all you need to ask yourself does Daughtery fill the void or rather suffice until we can address the safety need. Well, a lot of members have already said no.

But the main reason I wouldn't go the from the back to the front is because, if you do go that route you need to take the Cover 2 out of your play book. You can't run a cover 2 scheme if you can't rush the QB. I'm speaking of consistently. We can? With who and how? Oh Carter can get there alright but not consistently. Remeber I was one of those who wagered $6K on the Giants in the Super Bowl. So although Brady thought they would score more than 17 points he forgot that the Giants had a running game and he didn't. Just for starters.

Also is this year written off because of our HC change?

Hey I'm with you bro. I've always thought it was the overwhelming consensus of NFL coaches on both sides of the ball that you have to start with the lines and then add "skill" players. I think Doughty is at least servicable, and until he begins making critical mistakes, then I won't change my stance.

I think we ran the cover 3 more last year, but yeah the point is the same, with soft coverages you have to be getting push from your front 4, and it doesn't look like Daniels or either of our DTs are able to consistently do it. Unfortunately, the DL in the lower half of the first look shabby after Harvey is gone, so I'm not sure what to do other than simply go BPA at any position.

Archived