Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dave Syvertsen:Redskins and Jags possible suitors @pick #16(Cardinals)

michael_33

A few interesting tidbits on this guys opinion...http://www.newerascouting.com/home/233-draft-day-trades/

We here alot of trade down scenarios,but I thought I would go the other way on what could happen as well...(I sure hope not!!)But we all know that if Dan or Vinnie want someone...we usually get them!

I think it would be stupid to do so,but I could see it very possible,specially with the 9 draft picks we have now....

On a personal note:If Harvey is there I think we should pass(something about florida guys..I don't know)Now if Vernon Gholston is sitting there at #16 and we make a move...that might not be a bad move..(I doubt he will be though)But I'm just sick&tired of getting screwed on trades...!

Dave Syvertsen analyzes the teams who may be interested in making trades in the first round, like the Cowboys, who covet Arkansas running back Darren McFadden.

By Dave Syvertsen

Part of the attraction to the NFL Draft is the attempt to accurately project selections, also known as a mock draft. Draft fans all over the world will often work on these make believe selections for months with the hope of possibly being the draft expert that can look down upon the Mel Kipers and Todd McShays of the world.

However, every year something happens that throws our picks off and mock draft as a whole down the drain. No, this isn’t about the Dolphins passing on Brad Quinn for Ted Ginn, but draft-day trades. The second a team moves up by giving up their own first rounder along with later additional selections, all bets are off and one can all but throw their mock draft into the garbage. Trades are inevitable because certain teams have their scopes zeroed in on certain players and the second a willing seller is found and the proper value is there, the deal is done at the snap of a finger. There appears to be a few spots in the first round where a trade is not only possible, but very likely when all things are considered.

Pick No. 5 - Kansas City Chiefs

Suitors - Dallas Cowboys, Cincinnati Bengals

The Chiefs enter this draft with one thing on their mind and it goes by the name of Jake Long. However, if you look at their roster, there is much more needed than a left tackle for this team to get back to the playoffs. Thus the possibility of them moving up for Long, who is a sure thing top three pick, is very slim. Super prospect Darren McFadden will likely be available but with the Jets looming right behind the Chiefs at pick six, there will be a sense of urgency for teams to move up and perhaps give the Chiefs an extra pick or two to help them rebuild both sides of the ball. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has not kept it a secret that he covets McFadden and the current hole they have next to Marion Barber III who proved he is not an every down back has to lead you to believe this is a high possibility trade. The Bengals could move up for McFadden themselves but there will likely be an attractive defensive player available at pick five as well. Whether it’s Glenn Dorsey, Sedrick Ellis, Vernon Gholston or Keith Rivers, the Bengals will be on the phone if their guy is available at that spot. This would still land the Chiefs a top 10 pick as well as get them an additional second rounder.

Pick No. 7 - New England Patriots

Suitors - New Orleans Saints, Chicago Bears

If there is one team that simply “gets it” in terms of the approach to the draft overall aspects, it’s the Patriots. Their philosophy resolves around an economical frame of mind in the sense that they do not believe in paying rookies big contracts. With outrageous money being thrown around to top 10 picks every year to kids who have yet to play a down in the NFL, the Patriots are almost a sure thing to trade down and accumulate more picks all for the price of what they would pick at No. 7. At this point, any team will be able to trade up and go after the top cornerback on their board. The amount of aid needed in the defensive backfield down in New Orleans is unmatched across the league, as they are missing starting corners, and competition for the nickel spot. If the Saints want to ensure they get their guy, a trade up from their No. 10 slot will likely be necessary for a price that is not too high. The Bears, on the other hand, will not trade up for a cornerback here but their offensive line woes across the board need to be addressed, no questions asked. Jake Long will be off the board but Ryan Clady of Boise State, a guy who is being considered the best left tackle in this class by some scouts, will be there for the taking. The Bears have an extra early pick to work with and if they are serious about giving Rex Grossman a chance and getting Cedric Benson on the path to reaching his potential, a dominant left tackle is a must.

Pick No. 16 - Arizona Cardinals

Suitors - Washington Redskins, Jacksonville Jaguars

Super Bowl XLII might have been the game that changes the outlook of defensive football in the NFL. Sure the value of a strong pass rushing front was already strong but you can bet your bottom dollar that the way the Giants stopped arguably the most prolific passing attack the game has ever seen had a lasting impact on front offices across the nation. Two defenses that are a dominant pass rusher away from finding themselves mentioned amongst the league’s elite units are the Redskins and Jaguars. There will likely be a pass rusher with immense potential at this spot by the name of Derrick Harvey, a Jason Taylor clone out of Florida. Vernon Gholston will get all of the pub leading up to the draft but in terms of potential, Harvey has the highest ceiling amongst all defensive ends in this draft. He lived in opponents’ backfields since taking over as a starter in 2006 and is primed to do the same at the next level. Should he drop to the Cardinals slot at No. 16, teams will be on the phone with their best offer in hand and the Cardinals might just bite because of the variety of needs they possess.

Pick No. 27 - San Diego Chargers

Suitors - New York Giants and Carolina Panthers

If the Chargers stay put, they won’t have a very busy draft. They traded away their second round pick for receiver Chris Chambers, their third round pick in a 2007 draft day trade with the Bears, and spent their fourth round pick in the 2007 supplemental draft on corner Paul Oliver out of Georgia. Essentially, the Chargers will watch over 130 picks pass by in between their first and second picks should they not make a move. Without a pressing need on one of the more balanced squads on both sides of the ball in the league, there will likely be a desire to trade down for an extra pick or two. The Giants have been trying hard to shop their first round pick for a top-flight defensive back this offseason to avoid the overspending free agency market. They lack a playmaker that can take advantage of their top pass rushing attack and with the departure of Gibril Wilson, there lies a vacant spot at safety. Reggie Smith, who could project as a corner at the next level as well, is worthy of trading up a few spots for right in front of Dallas likely won’t pass on the Big 12 standout. Carolina’s quarterback position for both the present and long term future is pretty dim to say the least. They will want to go best player available with their first round pick, but should they want a signal caller for the future, they’ll have to look to move up with their second selection. Joe Flacco and Brian Brohm will likely be there at No. 27 and the Panthers could put together a nice offer of draft picks for the draft-hungry Chargers.

I think we'll be in a position to (hopefully) acquire a quality DE and/or DT at some point with out first four picks without the need to trade up. I don't see the logic in it personally with as deep a DL class the analysts suggest it to be.

Who knows though of course - if the Redskins have targeted a guy they're in love with it's certainly possible...

I get the impression from the article that he just needed a team to list. Why not choose the Redskins? We've been very visible with offseason moves in the past.

I feel like it will be a long time before we shake that image around the league, if ever.

I get the impression from the article that he just needed a team to list. Why not choose the Redskins? We've been very visible with offseason moves in the past.

I feel like it will be a long time before we shake that image around the league, if ever.

Yea, I think I remember hearing Vinny saying we definately weren't trading up. Not that he couldn't be lying, but I beleive him.

Depends on who's there. If someone like Ellis (the DT from USC) drops then I wouldn't mind the move at all. Or if the Redskins really covet a guy like Albert, they might have to move up to get him.

Wouldn't surprise me and I wouldn't scoff at it if it happens depending on the player they choose.

why would we trade UP when we could trade DOWN. Nobody really worth a 1st round that fits our needs, so if we can get some more 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round picks LETS DO IT!

agreed. Late first round picks and 2nd and 3rd round picks are pretty even talent wise. Helps us with the bust percentages.

agreed. Late first round picks and 2nd and 3rd round picks are pretty even talent wise. Helps us with the bust percentages.

I think the only "impact" player that the FO would concider trading up for, would be a WR. And since there are not those type of wide recievers in this years draft, best bet is to stay put, or trade down.

I agree that this could be a great move, Derrick Harvey played at a high level for a very good team in a brutal conference, and people say he is an even better pro-prospect than Jarvis Moss or whatever the Florida guys name was that went to Denver in Rd. 1 last year. The problem is, I don't think he will fall all of the way to pick 16 if he is the 2nd or 3rd rated defensive end in the class. Long and Gholston will likely be gone in the top 6, leaving ten other teams to take him before the Redskins could even if they traded up to here. I doubt he'd last, especially if there is this premium placed on pass rushers now following the superbowl.

pass.....

I don't see very much talent in the pool worth trading a 1st and a 3rd for.

You mean a third round pick to switch firsts. you're not really trading the first and the third, because your getting the better of the firsts to begin with.

I'm quite certain the Skins have no interest in Harvey. If they go DE, they'd want a true, all-around LDE like Phillip Merling. No way Harvey can stand up to John Runyon and the other huge NFCE RTs in the run game.

If they want more pass rush from the DL, they may also look at Kentwan Balmer, but that would only be in a trade-down scenario. Everyone wants to trade down, so that is an unlikely move. They'll probably stay put and look for Merling, Albert, Phillips, or a CB.

dont know enough about harvey. and gholston is a beast, a monster, anything else you want to call him. but he will be a better 3-4 OLB in the nfl than a 4-3 DE. so unless we are switching to a 3-4 next year. no thanks.

He'll be like Shawn Merriman... but I think he'll be better. But I think both of those guys could be rush ends in a 4-3 and have just as much success.

On a personal note:If Harvey is there I think we should pass(something about florida guys..I don't know)Now if Vernon Gholston is sitting there at #16 and we make a move...that might not be a bad move..(I doubt he will be though)But I'm just sick&tired of getting screwed on trades...!

I wouldnt pick Gholston at #21. Name the last great D lineman to come from Ohio State. Ohio State produces good recievers and corners and that's about it. Sprinkle in a Nick Mangold or a AJ hawk every 5 years or so and that about sums it up for Ohio State guys who become stars in this leauge. The only palyers I want to see this team trade up for are Chris Long, Jake Long, Sedric Ellis & Glenn Dorsey. Anyobdy after that is a waste to trade up for in my opinion. One of the guys I want should still be there at #21, take your pick of Merling, Harvey, Balmer, Albert. If none of them are there, take the BPA even if it is at a position we dont need and either trade him or use him to light a fire under the current starters.

the ONLY way I see us trading UP in the draft instead of trading down, would be if Chris Long is still available @ #7 (Patriots) as has been indicated on some recent "MOCK" drafts... If he's there, we should certainly entertain the idea. I haven't checked the draft trade value chart, BUT I'd give them our 1st, 3rd (original - can't trade compensatory picks) and maybe a late round selection as well, or a next year pick as well. He's a beast and can be one for YEARS to come instantly making our pass rush 100% better. With Carter, Griff/Golston (or this years pick?), Montgomery and Long we would be stellar over the next few years on our front 4.

For what it's worth, almost this exact trade happened last year. For Jarvis Moss, the DE out of Florida.

The Broncos gave up their 1st, 3rd, and 6th round picks to move up to #17. I'd have to imagine we'd pay a similar price.

I wouldn't hate such a trade. Harvey is a good player, and if they want another double-digit potential sack guy at the LE spot, go for it. We've got the 3rd round comp pick to make up for the lost 3rd rounder.

Archived