Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Illustrated's Top 25 Toughest Athletes

d0ublestr0ker0ll

And no. Swimmers are not some of the toughest athletes in the world.

Water polo players on the other hand are very tough. What goes on under the surface can be brutal.

How a golfer is on the list at all, let alone at #1 is mind-boggling. I stopped reading it once I saw that.

Am I the only one who thinks Nolan Ryan should also be on that list?

One of, if not THE greatest pitcher in history.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong career, especially for a pitcher.

Plus he bat Ventura's ass on national tv. LOL!

Screw this Sports Illustrated crap; it's not like they actually measured toughness. I say we have a massive, high-stakes tournament to determine the Undisputed Toughest Person in Sports. Round 1 will consist of a bloody knuckles tournament; survivors will move to Round 2, which will consist of caged death matches, to determine the all-time toughest!

He absolutely runs hard as hell. But by my own definition of tough, give me someone that goes through an entire season as THE guy and takes all of the punishment. CP had 325 rushes to Barbers 200.

And Mike Sellers only had, what, 20 carries? He wasn't even on the field for a lot of situations!

Barber's carries have to do with the way his coaches use him, not his toughness.

Water polo players on the other hand are very tough. What goes on under the surface can be brutal.

How a golfer is on the list at all, let alone at #1 is mind-boggling. I stopped reading it once I saw that.

I can see how Tiger would be on it; the list talking mental toughness into consideration, too. Golf is clearly a game where mental breakdowns can happen easily, and there might not be any more pressure on a single individual to win than Tiger. If he fails to win a few tournaments in a row, people start talking about how there must be something wrong with him! (That's not to say that I think he should be number one . . . but since it's including mental toughness, I can see how he's on the list.)

Screw this Sports Illustrated crap; it's not like they actually measured toughness. I say we have a massive, high-stakes tournament to determine the Undisputed Toughest Person in Sports. Round 1 will consist of a bloody knuckles tournament; survivors will move to Round 2, which will consist of caged death matches, to determine the all-time toughest!

Can there be a round dedicated to Indian-burns?

And no. Swimmers are not some of the toughest athletes in the world.

There are many adjectives available to describe them, I would never use the term tough.

I guess its how you define tough. I doubt half the athletes on that list could finish one of Michael Phelps training sessions. Competitve swimmers have upwards of 4-6 training hours a day that is both in water and with dryland training.

I guess its how you define tough. I doubt half the athletes on that list could finish one of Michael Phelps training sessions. Competitve swimmers have upwards of 4-6 training hours a day that is both in water and with dryland training.

Yeah, but how many hotdogs can he eat in a span of 10 minutes? Mhmm.

Yeah, but how many hotdogs can he eat in a span of 10 minutes? Mhmm.

I just don't understand how Tiger Woods, Tony Stewart or some guy who is a competitve eater are on that list above other athletes who are also superior in their sport. I mean there is not one soccer player on that list either.

I emailed the list to my husband with my comments his response:

It's Sports Illustrated, the magazine for people who like to memorize what they read and then spew it back out like it's their own opinion. It's the Washington Times of Sports Journalism. Except for the swimsuit edition of course; That's relevant.

I just don't understand how Tiger Woods, Tony Stewart or some guy who is a competitve eater are on that list above other athletes who are also superior in their sport. I mean there is not one soccer player on that list either.

You had me up until you mentioned soccer. Soccer is the wussiest sport on the planet.......even moreso than golf.

So a racer who is inside a 140 degree car (AC unit only provides air to the head and minimally to the body) for four plus hours, pulls 3 plus Gs throughout the race in each turn, and drives inches apart from other cars at 200 mph plus is not tough?

So a racer who is inside a 140 degree car (AC unit only provides air to the head and minimally to the body) for four plus hours, pulls 3 plus Gs throughout the race in each turn, and drives inches apart from other cars at 200 mph plus is not tough?

no tougher than a swimmer that trains 6+ hours a day and is muscle from head to toe with out an ounce of body fat. Or a soccer player that can kick a ball 30 yards out around a wall of men holding thier balls at 70 mph with dead on accuracy.

no tougher than a swimmer that trains 6+ hours a day and is muscle from head to toe with out an ounce of body fat. Or a soccer player that can kick a ball 30 yards out around a wall of men holding thier balls at 70 mph with dead on accuracy.

So, are you now saying that a racer can be on the list?

So, are you now saying that a racer can be on the list?

I never said that they shouldn't be... I don't know enough about racing to say they shouldn't. I just think that there are some sports that were clearly neglected and athletes that are far superior to a few names on that list were overlooked.

I never said that they shouldn't be... I don't know enough about racing to say they shouldn't. I just think that there are some sports that were clearly neglected and athletes that are far superior to a few names on that list were overlooked.

Were some overlooked? Certainly. With only 25 as the limit, it seems like an impossible task imo. I'll admit the bias towards racers, but racing is very tough and it is much more difficult than anyone can know.

If they'd have room for another fighter, I'd argue that Antonio Nogueira should be included. 31-4-1 with all 4 of his losses coming via decision. The two unanimous losses come from the #8 guy on the list, Fedor Emelianenko. The other two are split decisions. He's the UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world.

He is notorious for blocking strikes with his face. He has been virtually KO'd in many fights, even in his two recent fights he was floored. But when fighters get on top of him, he initiates his incredibly instinctive jiu jitsu skills. Not even Fedor could finish him with clean, bombastic ground punches. He could armbar an MMA vet while sleeping.

gotta back you up on this one. the man was run over by a truck at the age of 10 and survived.

Big Nog's head looked like a basketball bouncing when Fedor was hitting him and he still survived.

Archived