Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Kiper: Mock Draft (Albert #5 overall)

dfbovey

No production? And Nelson was all production? Sweed had 20 TDs in his career. DeSean Jackson had 22, Jordy Nelson had 19. Yes, Nelson had 122 receptions this year for 1,606 yards and 11 TDs. Last year when he was healthy Sweed had 3 times less catches, half as many yards, but 12 TDs and had a much better average (17.4 vs 13.2). Production isn't only about how many catches and yards someone had. Its what they do with them. 122 catches is a lot of freaking catches. A hell of a lot. If he had gotten any less than 1500 yards I would have been amazed.

Sweed had 19 catches in 6 games last year with 3tds.

That is 3 catches a game on the college level.

The year before in a full season he had what 46 catches and 12tds.

In a 12 game season that is slightly under 4 catches a game.

I would hope his YPC would be high playing in a bigtime playaction offense. Sweed has physical talent but he has'nt produced on a level that he should dominate.

Jordy had more catches this year then Sweed has his whole career. Jordy also roasted Talib another 1st round CB all game.

Sweed came in a 6-3

Jordy was 6-2

Both ran almost identical times but when watching both play its pretty obvious that Jordy is much quicker and gets better seperation especially in the intermediate area.

The thing for me is i'll take the guy who has actually dominated on a level that he should. Especially when that player don't cost you a 1st round pick.

Not hating Sweed i just see alot better value in the 2nd/3rd for a Wr.

He's moved up to the #1 WR on a lot of boards. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone before we pick.

That's ok by me. Maybe he'll become great and I'll eat my words, but the guy is pretty much the definition of a one year wonder. JUCO, then Sophomore season at MSU had 6 catches for 90 yards. Then Junior year had 1260 yards and 8 TDs. I think he could really have benefitted from staying for his Senior year but he was probably banking on his potential and raw physical skills to move up the draft board. We'll see.

The year before in a full season he had what 46 catches and 12tds.

In a 12 game season that is slightly under 4 catches a game.

I would hope his YPC would be high playing in a bigtime playaction offense. Sweed has physical talent but he has'nt produced on a level that he should dominate.

Jordy had more catches this year then Sweed has his whole career. Jordy also roasted Talib another 1st round CB all game.

Sweed came in a 6-3

Jordy was 6-2

Both ran almost identical times but when watching both play its pretty obvious that Jordy is much quicker and gets better seperation especially in the intermediate area.

The thing for me is i'll take the guy who has actually dominated on a level that he should. Especially when that player don't cost you a 1st round pick.

thanks, i was to lazy to look up the actual numbers even though i knew they would be something like that. lets not forget his 13.9 per catch average that is pretty well career consistant. :applause:

Yes, and he was also playing with a wrist that was in tons of pain the whole time after injuring it before the season started.

The year before in a full season he had what 46 catches and 12tds. In a 12 game season that is slightly under 4 catches a game.

And how does that change the fact that the guy was a touchdown machine and produced more TDs with less catches and less yards?

Wait a minute. I thought all of the people who were so high on Jordy was because he was "elusive" and got tons of YAC. So is that not true now?

Yes, and Sweed still has more TDs than Jordy. Don't get me wrong, I think Jordy will be a good WR, but I don't think he has the potential to be a gamebreaker or much of a red zone threat.

Sweed came in a 6-3

Jordy was 6-2

Sweed came in at 6'3 7 and Jordy came in at 6'2 5

But factor this in as well: Jordy had a 31 inch vertical. Sweed had a 37.5 inch vertical. That adds almost 7 inches to the area Sweed can vertically cover. Jordy isn't going to be winning jump balls anytime soon in the NFL.

Yes they both ran about identical times and yes Jordy does look quicker on film, but once again he doesn't have the same athleticism or production (despite your infatuation with number of catches).

Ok you make it sound like the guy had 3 consecutive 1,200 yard seasons with 10 TDs each. He had a good year in '05, did nothing in '06 and then had a breakout year in '07. Like I said, I think he can be a solid WR in the NFL but I still don't see him as a gamebreaker with the possibility of becoming a great or elite talent. Obviously most scouts agree since they have him generally going in the 3rd round. Is it possible? Sure. Likely? I don't think so.

Depends on how you define value. If you're just looking for a guy who will probably be solid but never a #1 or elite receiver then fine. You pay less and you probably don't get the possibility of that talent.

Why would he be a top 5 pick at a position he has only played four games in? Do you really think a team is going to take a chance on taking him as a Tackle based purely on potential when they have guys who are proven full time Tackles like Clady, Baker, Otah, Williams? Seems like a hell of a gamble to me for all the money they'd be dishing out.

Yea, if he jumps to the Top 5 because of the fact that he can play tackle, than thats stupid. I mean, if his stock rises because of his versatility, then that makes sense, but to go from being Top 25 to Top 5 because Scouts suddenly remember that Albert can play Tackle is just a bit weird, imo

What's comical is that all these mock drafts start with what PARCELLS is going to do with HIS first pick.

I thought Ireland was the General Manager and had final say?

God Bless both of them for everything they did for my Cowboys, but come on, end the charade already. Just come clean and tell everyone Parcells calls all the shots and Ireland is again just his sidekick.

Yeah right. The guy is good at what he does and follows a lot of these players from highschool. He also has a lot of sources within the NFL. Just because every single prediction he makes doesn't work out a majority of what he says holds weight. He does it for every team in the draft. Most GMs hit miss rate is far worse than his and they only have to pick for their team.

I take issue with both him and McShay because year in and year out these "experts" produce these mock drafts and intelligent fans know that its all speculative but ESPN seems to think that its solid gold.

Just my :2cents:

Hail fellow Skins fans.

This is my first message post ever on ES. Thrilling beyond belief to finally add to the banter.

I have read,(as a non-member) ES threads since mid-2002, when i happened upon this message board quite by accident. It's the best thing that could happen to any die-hard Skins fan and I shall love and respect my membership.

I have been high on drafting Brandon Albert with the #21 spot all along. As i cruise the many mock boards, I have usually seen him taken either by plilly at #19, or seen him go after us. I didn't mind when I saw him gone before us, because that meant that DRC, Talib, or Harvey were there for us to grab. Now, with the Kiper mock, it seems to me that we should either a)move up in front of philly to nab him, or B) trade down a few spots and get an extra 2nd. Still, I'd be thrilled to get BA. And i love Jordy Nelson.

Thanks, HTTR

Hail fellow Skins fans.

This is my first message post ever on ES. Thrilling beyond belief to finally add to the banter.

I have read,(as a non-member) ES threads since mid-2002, when i happened upon this message board quite by accident. It's the best thing that could happen to any die-hard Skins fan and I shall love and respect my membership.

I have been high on drafting Brandon Albert with the #21 spot all along. As i cruise the many mock boards, I have usually seen him taken either by plilly at #19, or seen him go after us. I didn't mind when I saw him gone before us, because that meant that DRC, Talib, or Harvey were there for us to grab. Now, with the Kiper mock, it seems to me that we should either a)move up in front of philly to nab him, or B) trade down a few spots and get an extra 2nd. Still, I'd be thrilled to get BA. And i love Jordy Nelson.

Thanks, HTTR

Welcome to ES

truth be told i would love it if atlanta wanted to move back into the first round. i would gladly take both of their seconds for #21. we would have 5 picks in 3 rounds. in a draft this deep i think we could really come away with the best draft in the nfl.

some folks should be praying this happens because if we do get extra picks it might allow the skins to bring in owen schmitt and from what i have read around here there is some man LOVE for this guy. cant say i blame you though because dude was a stud from what i saw.

this all depends on if albert is there at #21 too. i dont know if you can pass up a talent like him.

if they thought that he wont be there and really want to move into the first we could hold out for all three of their seconds. four picks in the second would be bad ass. dont know if that would work though but i dont know the draft value chart and what the picks would amount to.

If a team wants Albert to play Tackle, ideally it would be a team that doesn't need a starting tackle this year, but could maybe use a starting guard so he could spend a year or two honing his skills before the move.

Redskins fit this profile - He could start for Kendall (or Thomas if his injury lingers) and we would then have a veteran backup. We could draft another Guard in a year or two and slide him to RT....

Why would he be a top 5 pick at a position he has only played four games in? Do you really think a team is going to take a chance on taking him as a Tackle based purely on potential when they have guys who are proven full time Tackles like Clady, Baker, Otah, Williams? Seems like a hell of a gamble to me for all the money they'd be dishing out.

You got me, I am not a scout and evaluating these guys. I've read that Albert's long arms and athleticism actually lends to him being a better tackle, and his position coach was quoted on NFL Network a couple a days ago saying they put him at guard because they were already established at tackle, but it could have gone either way.

Baker is mostly seen these days as a 2nd rounder in mocks. As to Clady, Williams, & Otah, I don't know how Albert stacks against those guys. Maybe what teams are thinking is start him at guard and transition him to tackle. All I know is the NFL Network guys and now Kiper are touting the fact that he can be a tackle as aa reason for why his stock has gone up.

His versatility was never a secret so my feeling at least from watching NFL Network is they didn't mean that teams are excited because they all of a sudden realize that he is a guard who can play tackle in a pinch but its that they are excited that he can be an elite left tackle.

Actually on Path to the Draft, Casserly said exactly what you think is far fetched, and that is Albert would be the 2nd best tackle in the draft. That was a week ago, and it sounded crazy to me at the time, I ignored until this week when Mayock and Kiper jumped on the bandwagon.

It's nice to have dreams :)

Unfortunately I don't think the Falcons would be that stupid.

Teams did it last year with picks in that range. Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't say it's not possible. The points may not quite match, maybe we give them a third.

Teams did it last year with picks in that range. Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't say it's not possible. The points may not quite match, maybe we give them a third.

A team that's likely to be picking top 5 again next year would be insane to trade away their first rounder.

A team that's likely to be picking top 5 again next year would be insane to trade away their first rounder.

A LOT of people though that prior to the start of the '07 season, the Cowboys(pick from the Browns) would be picking in the top 5 in 2008. It was a very stupid and risky move that doesn't seem as bad now.

San Francisco's trade last year with New England though was complete stupidity.

Archived