Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Kiper: Mock Draft (Albert #5 overall)

dfbovey

His versatility was never a secret so my feeling at least from watching NFL Network is they didn't mean that teams are excited because they all of a sudden realize that he is a guard who can play tackle in a pinch but its that they are excited that he can be an elite left tackle.

Actually on Path to the Draft, Casserly said exactly what you think is far fetched, and that is Albert would be the 2nd best tackle in the draft. That was a week ago, and it sounded crazy to me at the time, I ignored until this week when Mayock and Kiper jumped on the bandwagon.

I'm mostly curious as to whether or not teams themselves have him anywhere near that high on their board or if it is just Kiper et al getting ahead of themselves. A top 5 pick for a guy who is a guard you'd like to use as a Tackle but who may not end up being good enough at the position in the NFL is pretty big risk that high. I'm sure his position coach talked him up and I doubt he was just making stuff up, but the reality is they still only have tape of him playing Tackle in 4 games.

It's pretty ridiculous that he goes from the 20's to 5 in one mock to the next. They must be reading ES.

It really does seem like that is where some sportswriters get their info doesn't it? :laugh:

I agree. Going from the mid 20s to 5 is silly.

True...though I agree with the post that said even if he starts falling he doesn't make it past the Eagles, so our chances on him are slim.

Well the Eagles have been known to trade first round draft picks to teams within their division (see Dallas last year). It wouldnt take much for us to trade from 21 down to 19. Just a swap of our first rounders and maybe throw in our comp. 7th. Would that do it, provided the eagles traded with us to begin with?

I believe trading back into the lower 1st round or top 2nd round would be a brilliant move by the Skins...

If we could land an additional 2nd rounder or more by doing this,that would be awesome!

We could address OG,WR,DE,DT and CB with the 5 picks we would have in the (2nd and 3rd rounds)

2 of those 5 could be possible steals that had them previously listed as 1st rounders from the beginning of the year..

Like a Calais Campbell...or a Sweed...or a Malcolm Kelly....or perhaps a Otah...they would be much cheaper and we could fillmany needs in 1 draft and build youth for the Skins,Zorn and the future..!

Question is...Will a team bite on a player that they covet that slips to 21?

I think the only way this happens is either if a QB slips that far or perhaps a kenny phillips or maybe an OT,that we would not want there at 21...

One things for sure we aren't going anywhere with our current interior line play. Speaking of which someone alluded to Heyer being a question mark. Well, we have questions all the way across. Last year Heyer was the bright spot. All because his talent was discovered hiding in plain site. Before Heyer was discovered Thomas was the brightest spot. Some may argue: but #60 has been a perennial All-Pro. All Pro is nothing more than courting consensus.

I would argue that making All-Pro is nothing more than courting consensus, in most cases, there are some legit All-Pros in the league; #60 isn't one of them, because when we needed it the most he didn't answer. #60 is not a Roaf, Hutchinson or a Davis. #60 has not answered when we needed and he is part of the reason why we don't have consistent answers in the Red zone.

"Whoever questions or compares Heyer to Jansen then you put your money on Jansen and I'll take Heyer and we'll see “who's "G-to-G" "got game". If it’s not a top 12 overall pick then an OL is probably not worth it a first round. How many people did CP run over in 05s wildcard against Tampa? 3. Go back and watch the film, you know guess what side that was on? # 60s.

And right now at best Jansen is trade material. Hell you can get someone from D2 or even 3 to back Heyer up and save that money. Why not? Our current interior line play, on both sides of the ball, has not been what one would like. When it comes to what and how we're doing business at the line of scrimmage I really beg to differ. And if CP wasn't here I would strongly question the consistency in our red zone running game, and the answer would be we don't have one.

Another reason why CP is worth an easy $25million bonus, if that was possible but we know it isn’t. But we wouldn't have a red zone running game without CP, yes I know we have Sellers. But CP is invaluable, because of his versatile skill set at blocking, pass catching, ability to break it in open space his vision and how he can hit the corner, and how effective he is in each area. He does them all very well. On scale of 1-10 I would rate CP with a 9. What makes a RB a 10? A solid "OL" makes him a 10. I'm really glad CP is here and our "O" would be a struggle without him--to put it mildly.

Heyer isn't really a question mark as much as he's good young depth with potential to be more. The only question would be, is he a back up or can he eventually start?

We need two more Heyer type players out of this draft. One that can back up and potentially be a future starter at Left Guard and a versatile Guard who can also back up at Center.

I'm mostly curious as to whether or not teams themselves have him anywhere near that high on their board or if it is just Kiper et al getting ahead of themselves. A top 5 pick for a guy who is a guard you'd like to use as a Tackle but who may not end up being good enough at the position in the NFL is pretty big risk that high. I'm sure his position coach talked him up and I doubt he was just making stuff up, but the reality is they still only have tape of him playing Tackle in 4 games.

Kiper usually just rolls with his opinion while a guy like McShay tends to take into account what he's heard from around the league mixed in with his opinion.

If Albert is a dominant Guard though, he'll go in the top 15. If GMs think he can play tackle he'll go higher. The Eagles took Andrews with what, the 16th pick? Guards have more value around the league right now than ever before. It's not a stretch to think he'll be a top ten pick.

Well the Eagles have been known to trade first round draft picks to teams within their division (see Dallas last year). It wouldnt take much for us to trade from 21 down to 19. Just a swap of our first rounders and maybe throw in our comp. 7th. Would that do it, provided the eagles traded with us to begin with?

I doubt the Eagles would make that move and just ask for a 7th rounder in return.

Kiper Q & A from just a few minutes ago

Kaleb(Fargo): Is it a fairly sure thing the Skins go WR in round 1?

Mel Kiper: (1:47 PM ET ) Not at all. The DL, either DT or DE, is a major need. Also, a CB. Or on offense, a versatile OL and WR. Their first pick comes from one of those four positions. I'm going with Devin Thomas from Michigan State. But they have three other areas they could go in.

Kiper Q & A from just a few minutes ago

Kaleb(Fargo): Is it a fairly sure thing the Skins go WR in round 1?

Mel Kiper: (1:47 PM ET ) Not at all. The DL, either DT or DE, is a major need. Also, a CB. Or on offense, a versatile OL and WR. Their first pick comes from one of those four positions. I'm going with Devin Thomas from Michigan State. But they have three other areas they could go in.

I can't argue any of those points.

Archived