Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Kiper: Mock Draft (Albert #5 overall)

dfbovey

Anyone know how much Kiper gets paid?

If its more than minimum wage ESPN is getting ripped off

Yeah right. The guy is good at what he does and follows a lot of these players from highschool. He also has a lot of sources within the NFL. Just because every single prediction he makes doesn't work out a majority of what he says holds weight. He does it for every team in the draft. Most GMs hit miss rate is far worse than his and they only have to pick for their team.

Yeah right. The guy is good at what he does and follows a lot of these players from highschool. He also has a lot of sources within the NFL. Just because every single prediction he makes doesn't work out a majority of what he says holds weight. He does it for every team in the draft. Most GMs hit miss rate is far worse than his and they only have to pick for their team.

Well I think one of the things is, as has been said here, is that Kiper seems to throw out mocks with so many different scenarios that he is invariably right sometimes. Then again he also seems to have certain favorites and guys who he doesn't really like for whatever reason. If I recall last year he was one of the only guys who still had Alan Branch as a top 10 pick...whereas most other analysts had him as a late 1st/early 2nd after so many questions about his shape and work ethic came out.

Devin Thomas has all you could ask for as far as measurables go, especially for a WCO wide out. He is a decent sized target, has speed, separates and can run after the catch. He can also return kicks.

Wouldn't complain if we drafted him.

I was arguing with a couple of guys on the board about Albert being there at 21. At the time, I was right, nobody had him earlier than 23. Now am dead wrong. He this week made the top 10 in NFL network's draft and now 5 in Kiper's, wow! Looks like he's a goner by 21 for certain, didn't look that way a week ago

Edit: Talib as the first corner taking in the draft, that's a new development, most mocks have him as the third corner taken.

Lawrence Jackson now a first rounder? That's a surprise to me.

I was arguing with a couple of guys on the board about Albert being there at 21. At the time, I was right, nobody had him earlier than 23. Now am dead wrong. He this week made the top 10 in NFL network's draft and now 5 in Kiper's, wow! Looks like he's a goner by 21 for certain, didn't look that way a week ago

And it may not pan out that way at all on draft day. I think Albert is very talented, but a top 5 pick? Sorry, but that is a bit much. He is physically gifted and a great athlete but he is still relatively raw so I have doubts that a team is going to shell out top 5 money for him. Remember, Hutch was probably the most highly touted and polished Guard to be drafted in many years. Same physical tools, highly athletic, was a 4 year starter and 2 time 1st team All-American. And he went at 15th overall.

Most early mocks didn't take into account the new level or priority teams are giving to Guards. They are getting tackle money and being persued heavily in free agency the past two years.

none of them seem worth it:2cents:

Limas Sweed would be worth it. Great hands, better adjustment, good over the middle. He's what we need. Malcolm Kelly would be as well. Maybe even DeSean Jackson, though those last two aren't nearly as good a fit for us as Sweed it, imo.

If nothing else, those three are more worthy of 1st Rounders than Jordy Nelson is of a 2nd Rounder.

And it may not pan out that way at all on draft day. I think Albert is very talented, but a top 5 pick? Sorry, but that is a bit much. He is physically gifted and a great athlete but he is still relatively raw so I have doubts that a team is going to shell out top 5 money for him. Remember, Hutch was probably the most highly touted and polished Guard to be drafted in many years. Same physical tools, highly athletic, was a 4 year starter and 2 time 1st team All-American. And he went at 15th overall.

True...though I agree with the post that said even if he starts falling he doesn't make it past the Eagles, so our chances on him are slim.

I know there is some love hate, actually better described as hate/love on Calais Campbell. Some of the draft magazines though still tout him. Looks like its very likely he will be there at 21. Anybody like him still on Extremeskins? I don't know him well enough to judge.

Most early mocks didn't take into account the new level or priority teams are giving to Guards. They are getting tackle money and being persued heavily in free agency the past two years.

It seems though the point here by Kiper and it was also made on NFL Network is that what made Albert jump is he IS NOW viewed as a tackle prospect not guard anymore. And the mocks weren't that early, am talking right until this week, I've not see him creep past 23.

It seems though the point here by Kiper and it was also made on NFL Network is that what made Albert jump is he IS NOW viewed as a tackle prospect not guard anymore. And the mocks weren't that early, am talking right until this week, I've not see him creep past 23.

That he can play tackle gives him more value. But I still think my point holds when it comes to the recent trends for teams and how they view Guards. They are now paid like Tackles and valued almost as much.

I noticed that as well and it is very odd to me. Did he play a bit of Tackle? Yes, but from what I've read it wasn't all that much. It isn't like he would alternate all game between T and G. I think it could even be a stretch to bill him as a G/T, letalone a T/G. I'm guessing most teams who scout him will see him as a Guard who can probably learn to play Tackle in the NFL but who, for the time being, is strictly a Guard.

Remember McShay mentions at the top of his mock that PLENTY of trades will go down on draft day. I fully expect 2 of the top 10 teams to move out of there respective slots. I think the Patriots will certainly be one of them. If this happens this will honestly effect the whole draft like any other year.

]']Limas Sweed would be worth it. Great hands' date=' better adjustment, good over the middle. He's what we need. Malcolm Kelly would be as well. Maybe even DeSean Jackson, though those last two aren't nearly as good a fit for us as Sweed it, imo.

If nothing else, those three are more worthy of 1st Rounders than Jordy Nelson is of a 2nd Rounder.[/quote']

Sweed has never even had 1 good season sure he has some tools but that does'nt translate to production. Roy Williams had multiple huge years in the same offense but yet Sweed has never produced a 50 catch season i don't believe.

Guys like Nelson,DeSean Jackson etc produced period it was'nt potential.

And its funny to me when i started the 1st thread about how good Albert was everyone told me i did'nt no nothing, that i was a UVA homer yada yada. Now i can sit back and laugh at everybody else jumping on the bandwagon.

Gutlead was another huge supporter.

I noticed that as well and it is very odd to me. Did he play a bit of Tackle? Yes, but from what I've read it wasn't all that much. It isn't like he would alternate all game between T and G. I think it could even be a stretch to bill him as a G/T, letalone a T/G. I'm guessing most teams who scout him will see him as a Guard who can probably learn to play Tackle in the NFL but who, for the time being, is strictly a Guard.

He played LT for D'Brickshaw for 2 games his freshman year and in my opinion played better straight outta HS. He started 2 more at LT this year and played great. Al Groh has said himself that if he left him at LT he would be a top 5 pick but he was to important to the UVA run game at guard.

Production on the college level doesn't always mean a player is going to be a good pro. Certainly doesn't mean either of those two players will be better than Sweed.

Sweed has never even had 1 good season sure he has some tools but that does'nt translate to production. Roy Williams had multiple huge years in the same offense but yet Sweed has never produced a 50 catch season i don't believe.

And its funny to me when i started the 1st thread about how good Albert was everyone told me i did'nt no nothing, that i was a UVA homer yada yada. Now i can sit back and laugh at everybody else jumping on the bandwagon.

No production? And Nelson was all production? Sweed had 20 TDs in his career. DeSean Jackson had 22, Jordy Nelson had 19. Yes, Nelson had 122 receptions this year for 1,606 yards and 11 TDs. Last year when he was healthy Sweed had 3 times less catches, half as many yards, but 12 TDs and had a much better average (17.4 vs 13.2). Production isn't only about how many catches and yards someone had. Its what they do with them. 122 catches is a lot of freaking catches. A hell of a lot. If he had gotten any less than 1500 yards I would have been amazed.

That he can play tackle gives him more value. But I still think my point holds when it comes to the recent trends for teams and how they view Guards. They are now paid like Tackles and valued almost as much.

Guards are going up in value I agree, but watching NFL Network those guys at least seem to imply that teams expect to switch Albert to tackle and that's partly why his stock has risen -- seems like Kiper hinted the same thing.

So I should blame you two for getting my hopes up about a guy that is going to be taken 10-15 picks before we are on the clock?

I think we should start scouting Jake Long.....

:jk:

Guards are going up in value I agree, but watching NFL Network those guys at least seem to imply that teams expect to switch Albert to tackle and that's partly why his stock has risen -- seems like Kiper hinted the same thing.

Why would he be a top 5 pick at a position he has only played four games in? Do you really think a team is going to take a chance on taking him as a Tackle based purely on potential when they have guys who are proven full time Tackles like Clady, Baker, Otah, Williams? Seems like a hell of a gamble to me for all the money they'd be dishing out.

Has the physical tools. Very raw though. JUCO transfer who only had one season with any production whatsoever...and then declared. Sort of risky as a 1st round pick.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AHbkz0IMIeA

he runs well and actually goes and gets the ball, cant tell you how many recievers just watch the int, wouldnt mind if he is in a skins uni, dont know bout 1st round though

he runs well and actually goes and gets the ball, cant tell you how many recievers just watch the int, wouldnt mind if he is in a skins uni, dont know bout 1st round though

He's moved up to the #1 WR on a lot of boards. Wouldn't be surprised if he's gone before we pick.

Archived