Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Blog -- Likely draft DL early, Chad, etc

Skinsinparadise

That was a different situation thou. Randy Moss did nothing in Oakland and he had some issues. (locker room ect.) You will never get CJ for a 3rd rounder, that I can promise you.

Well, I don't really want Johnson anyway. :)

However, if Moss was having issues in Oakland, then the Redskins only have a shot at Johnson b/c he is having issues with the Bengals.

Saying Moss is better probably is not true either. Moss had a great couple years in Minn. and after that he left and he did nothing. Now he has Tom Brady throwing to him. Tom Brady can make a crappy WR look good. Im not saying Moss is crappy just Tom Brady makes people look better.

On the other hand CJ has been doing his thing year in and year out. I think they both are very good WRs. Im also not on the board for bring CJ here but would welcome it if it were to happen.

Well, we could argue all day who is the better WR. :)

I don't think you'll find many who think Johnson is better than R. Moss.

Moss certainly seemed the better of the two last season.

A signal we are thinking of dangling Betts as trade bait would be us drafting a RB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

If Chad Johnson does sulk his way out of Cinncy there will be a market for his services - we will not be the only team interested. It will take more than a 2009 2nd round pick to get him I would think with our without Betts as part of the deal.

According to this article they were scouting Jamaal Charles

Why are the Redskins Scouting Running Backs?

By George Lafoon

Warpath Insiders

Posted Mar 26, 2008

Evidently, in addition to Corners and Linemen, the Redskins are also scouting..... Running Backs? That's right, the Redskins have a workout scheduled with a fairly highly ranked running back next month.

http://was.scout.com/2/740881.html

There was no point in doing anything with his contract. He costs next to nothing to begin with.
Wrong. By guaranteeing and prorating his bonus we would have saved ~$1.8M Based on other ca saving moves this offseason, this should have been one of the first, but wasn't. This is indicative of the fact that the Skins FO sees him as much as trade bait as they do our backup. Also, a $3.4M cap charge isn't next to nothing for a backup RB.

We don't necessarily have to draft a replacement. Don't forget' date=' Shaun Alexander will be available along with other FA's. I also think you are overvaluing Chad and undervaluing the situation. He is disgruntled and wants a lot of money. Sure teams are interested, but they haven't been interested enough to get something done to this point.[/quote']

Johnson would have been traded by now, the point holding things up would be the large dead cap hit the Bengals would take for trading him. Most teams don't like to absorb 8 million plus in dead cap money, especially the cheaper teams like Cincy.

It's certainly not a lack of interest keeping this from happening.

Wrong. By guaranteeing and prorating his bonus we would have saved ~$1.8M Based on other ca saving moves this offseason' date=' this should have been one of the first, but wasn't. This is indicative of the fact that the Skins FO sees him as much as trade bait as they do our backup. Also, a $3.4M cap charge isn't next to nothing for a backup RB.[/quote']

In the grand scheme of things, considering how much time Portis has missed in his tenure here as well as the cap, etcetera, that's pretty cheap. We have a backup with starting experience. We lose Portis, we have Cartwright. Other words, we have nothing.

Johnson would have been traded by now, the point holding things up would be the large dead cap hit the Bengals would take for trading him. Most teams don't like to absorb 8 million plus in dead cap money, especially the cheaper teams like Cincy.

It's certainly not a lack of interest keeping this from happening.

That is a good point about the timing. You are absolutely right. No trade involving Johnson would go down before June 1st so it was misleading for me to suggest that because nothing has happened it won't. That being said, have you heard his name associated with any other teams recently?

I think you should be prepared for that, or compensation including a player and later picks that equal 1st round value.

Only if the Redskins are willing to part with that.

So far, this off-season the Redskins haven't been big spenders, either in money or draft picks.

Snyder gave the "keys to the car" to Cerrato, and is letting him drive. He also said they won't go after any FA that Coach Zorn doesn't want.

I don't know how those two feel about C. Johnson. I guess we'll find out.

However, so far, all we have are JLC's blogs touting this (and he is known for being a pot-stirrer).

It is interesting to me that all this Chad Johnson talk almost completely died down when JLC was away.

Now that he is back, the Chad Johnson talk is coming back again. :doh:

So far, I think this more JLC than the Redskins.

So far, this off-season the Redskins haven't been big spenders, either in money or draft picks.

Snyder gave the "keys to the car" to Cerrato, and is letting him drive. He also said they won't go after any FA that Coach Zorn doesn't want.

I don't know how those two fell about C. Johnson. I guess we'll find out.

However, so far, all we have are JLC's blogs touting this (and he is known for being a pot-stirrer).

It is interesting to me that all this Chad Johnson talk almost completely died down when JLC was away.

Now that he is back, the Chad Johnson talk is coming back again. :doh:

So far, I think this more JLC than the Redskins.

I am seeing the connection and irony in all of this also.

In the grand scheme of things, considering how much time Portis has missed in his tenure here as well as the cap, etcetera, that's pretty cheap. We have a backup with starting experience. We lose Portis, we have Cartwright. Other words, we have nothing.
All of that is irrelevant if the new coaching staff(Zorn) doesn't feel like he will be a good fit in the WCO. It is even less relevant if the staff started souring on him last year based on a huge drop in performance. Maybe they know something you don't, that Ladell Betts is overrated and can bring more value through trade.

Wrong. By guaranteeing and prorating his bonus we would have saved ~$1.8M Based on other ca saving moves this offseason' date=' this should have been one of the first, but wasn't. This is indicative of the fact that the Skins FO sees him as much as trade bait as they do our backup. Also, a $3.4M cap charge isn't next to nothing for a backup RB.[/quote']

Look out Vinny your job may be in jeopardy. This guys got all the answers and is not open to opinion.

All of that is irrelevant if the new coaching staff(Zorn) doesn't feel like he will be a good fit in the WCO. It is even less relevant if the staff started souring on him last year based on a huge drop in performance. Maybe they know something you don't' date=' that Ladell Betts is overrated and can bring more value through trade.[/quote']

Jeez, don't take it so personally. He's a backup. How is that calling the guy overrated? I don't care one way or another whether he's traded, I'm simply stating the lack of change with his contract isn't definite proof that he's out of here.

Wow... and I thought the Dolphins were stupid for taking Ginn at 9. Just think if we had wasted that pick on another undersized receiver instead of having Landry... :doh:

That tidbit tells me that Cerratto's promotion may turn out very well for the Redskins as opposed to before. I think Snyder is submitting that he really doesn't know that much.

Jeez, don't take it so personally. He's a backup. How is that calling the guy overrated? I don't care one way or another whether he's traded, I'm simply stating the lack of change with his contract isn't definite proof that he's out of here.
I'm not sure why you thought I was taking it personally, I never do. I never stated it was definite proof, I simply said that it is a indicator. Just so you understand, EVERY other player with a similar bonus had it guaranteed and prorated EXCEPT Betts.
Look out Vinny your job may be in jeopardy. This guys got all the answers and is not open to opinion.
This has nothing to do with opinion.

"And it's unlikely you will find the kind of big, athletic, stud WR Snyder/Cerrato want in the mid rounds, or even with the 21st pick for that matter..."

Any informed draftnik knows that the mid-rounds are EXACTLY where the WR value is in this draft. I'm sure we have guys on our board at that time who can help the team.

That is a good point about the timing. You are absolutely right. No trade involving Johnson would go down before June 1st so it was misleading for me to suggest that because nothing has happened it won't. That being said' date=' have you heard his name associated with any other teams recently?[/quote']

The Bengals saying Johnson isn't going anywhere kinda killed any public talk of it over the past month. But the initial wave had us, the Cowboys and a few other teams supposedly interested. But everything seems to be calm and forgotten right now.

I really want Ocho Cinco. I don't like that we let Caldwell sign elsewhere. As of now we have Moss, Randle El, Thrash, Mix, and possibly Espy. There are a few other guys on the roster but I haven't heard anything good about any one of them. WE NEED RECEIVER HELP.

Caldwell gets open no matter how fast he is. We should have signed him. He caught some clutch 1st downs last year and wish we would have kept him. This was a mistake not to.

Doesn't mean they won't be, in fact would it really surprise anyone if they have been quiet because this is the move they've been wanting to make? That's the one point JLC made that I agree with, why make 9 million in cap space by restructuring deals if you don't intend on using that space? Doesn't seem like a responsible thing to do, pushing cap hits back for no reason.

Doesn't mean they won't be, in fact would it really surprise anyone if they have been quiet because this is the move they've been wanting to make? That's the one point JLC made that I agree with, why make 9 million in cap space by restructuring deals if you don't intend on using that space? Doesn't seem like a responsible thing to do, pushing cap hits back for no reason.

You're right that they probably did it for a reason, but is that reason going after Johnson?

I mean, would they make all that space for a guy they have no guarantee of being able to get?

Keep in mind, also, they had to make space so they could sign other guys should the Redskins (the football gods forbid) have injuries.

You're right that they probably did it for a reason, but is that reason going after Johnson?

I mean, would they make all that space for a guy they have no guarantee of being able to get?

Keep in mind, also, they had to make space so they could sign other guys should the Redskins (the football gods forbid) have injuries.

Yes, I think they did it because they wanted to have room to trade for Johnson and give him a new contract.

There's a big difference between the amount of money it would take to sign a top notch player like Johnson, and emergency injury signings. You don't need a 9 million dollar emergency fund.

I think most of our needs consist of youth and depth on the lines and secondary. Guys who can fill in and role play for the short term and be groomed to start. We have Kendall at Guard and I don't see a rookie beating him out this season. I think the same at DE and DT. Rookies will have a hard time beating out Griffin or Daniels in their first seasons. They should be able to contribute significantly if we draft right and maybe they'll surprise... who knows.

Actually, if we draft a guy high, I could very easily see a rookie beating out Kendall. I mean, Heyer managed to eventually beat out Wade last year. Granted, Wade was hurt for a while, but he didn't come back in once he got healthy.

While a rookie may not start on the DL, he will probably see a lot of playing time in the rotation. Also, there has been a lot of talk of playing Daniels inside more often, so more opportunities for a young DE. I also think we are paper-thin there, which it why it is equal in need to WR

However, I see WR differently. I think we need an immediate improvement on the starting line up. Randel El shouldn't be anything more than a slot WR and Moss is consistently injured. After that we have Thrash and Mix. It's paper thin. To me, it's a glaring weakness.

I don't think it is nearly as weak as you suggest. I agree that the depth isn't there right now, but what I think is more important is making sure that Campbell actually has the time to get the ball to the WRs. You can have all the great WRs, but if the QB can't get it to them, they are useless.

The Skins may trade for someone if they come available, but the question is, will someone come available at a good price? Personally, spending any more than a 2nd round pick for Chad Johnson is a waste. With a new head coach and a new offense, spending that much on a guy who might not be at the top of his game by the time the team is ready to make moves. Not to mention that a lot needs to happen to get the Bengals to move him. I pretty much stand on my prediction that the Bengals will continue to hold their ground.

Personally, I'd look at some of the younger WRs out there who might not be happy where they are. Considering that fits the MO of this organization more than Chad Johnson does, that seems more likely.

Jason

A trade for Chad Johnson would include Ladell Betts. I think Chad for Ladell and a 2009 2nd rounder. For the record' date=' I don't want Chad and Dan Snyder is a moron.

Before you guys say we aren't going to trade Ladell, we might. We have NOT guaranteed and prorated his bonus this year for the specific purpose of keeping him available on the market. If we intended to keep him we would have done that months ago. That being said, it's not definite, they have just left open the possibility. We could have just left the window open to see what offers would be available, but he is the most likely candidate on our team to be traded.[/quote']

If we draft one of the decent RBs it would support this theory. Draft day will be very interesting.

Yes, I think they did it because they wanted to have room to trade for Johnson and give him a new contract.

There's a big difference between the amount of money it would take to sign a top notch player like Johnson, and emergency injury signings. You don't need a 9 million dollar emergency fund.

What about extending guys like Montgomery, Golston, Doughty, etc.?

I agree that they've created that much space for a reason, but SkinsGuy has a point that, if it were for Johnson, it makes no sense that they would have done that before such an acquisition is imminent, rather than a dicey down-the-road possibility.

As was pointed out, the only one pushing the Johnson angle is JLC. He may be right, but it seems to be one of his pet "scoops". This, along with the Ginn rumor, is more proof that JLC tries to weave tapestries with just a few loose threads. It's pretty much a given that he has no inside connections, so you have to take anything he speculates with a large grain of salt.

Archived